Loopblock: Can It Be Made To Work When Ptnfollow=Off?

Hiya… I was mucking around with the blockloop and ended up making a shortcut for forwards+backwards. Both have pattern follow mode toggle on, amongst other things.
But I was just using this …

function loopblockback()  
 renoise.song().transport.loop_block_enabled=true  
 renoise.song().transport:loop_block_move_backwards()  
 renoise.song().transport.follow_player = true  
end  

function loopblockforward()  
renoise.song().transport.loop_block_enabled=true  
renoise.song().transport:loop_block_move_forwards()  
renoise.song().transport.follow_player = true  
end  

Now, my question is - when I didn’t have follow player = true, it would function in a really funky way. I’d click forwards and it’d go to 3rd instead of 2nd “segment” (I use 1/4 blocks on LPB4) , and going backwards would go to the last segment and the 3rd segment, and any number of pressing would take you 4-3-4-3-4-3 or 1-2-1-2-1. I gave up and set follow_player=true adn then it worked.

So what I’m asking is, is it possible to create a secondary bunch of forwards+back for loopblock, which are designed to “actually work” ( i.e., the same way as follow=on blockloop works).

It’d be amazing to be able to … oh, you know ;)

(edit)
I’m going the +1 / -1 route, and will try and implement warning signals in the status window if you’re trying to -1 from LoopBlock 2.
Not really making any +1/-1 progress, ended up doing statuswindow messages for other stuff

Loopblock is severely limited when not using pattern follow. Trying to change the size and/or position of the loopblock while in another pattern is just not something you can to (unpredictable results). I should know - the Duplex Navigator is several hundreds of lines worth of jumping through hoops to make this work somewhat

Maybe it’s worth checking out renoise.song().transport.loop_start/end/range_beats [font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]instead? They don’t have GUI controls anywhere, as they are used for looping Renoise with Rewire.