Mac OSX 10.14.2 Mojave / App not optimized for this mac?

When I launch Renoise for the first time, I get a dialog saying, “This App Not Optimized for your Mac. Please update or have developer update…” Should I be concerned about this?

I’m running Mac OSX 10.14.2 Mojave. Also should I avoid updating to the upcoming OSX software? I don’t want to lose the ability to use Renoise by updating. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

The Renoise team will have to make a move to do this.

I don’t know what language Renoise OSX is written in, but it’s def not Obj-C or Swift. So maybe something that compiles to it, but the way it compiles are using outdated methods.

If Renoise is your sole software you use to produce then maybe don’t update. If you using something else then don’t wait on Renoise man. Renoise will catchup eventually.

This warning is for 32-bit software. Renoise is itself 64-bit, but I think that the VST bridging for 32-bit plugins requires a 32-bit library (probably AudioPluginServer_i386), which is what is likely triggering the warning. If you don’t use 32-bit VST plugins, you have nothing to worry about.

I’m pretty sure Renoise is written in C++ with a bunch of Lua scripting. Compiling software doesn’t mean it translates it to another language, e.g. C++ to Swift, but makes it into a binary executable. The Renoise team aren’t doing anything outdated here, they’re just providing support for 32-bit VST plugins for as long as possible.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not saying that the team is doing anything outdated. I didn’t mean to give off that impression, and yes, you’re right, it’s taking the C++ code and compiling it.

Thanks for this!