Make your own music gear?

Okay sign me up for this (If it’s true - ha)

With this new technology, we can now make our own guitars and possibly other instruments as well.

https://recordingreview.com/best-violin-for-beginners/

Is this for real you guys?

I did come across some files that seem to be offering this like this iPhone speaker booster (Wonder how the quality is).

I hope it’s legit as I would love to print my own custom instruments. Just for fun!

Update: I just to actually learn how to make music. Excited!

I made/modified lots of gear in my time, but never had a 3D printer. I do want one though. Would never make a guitar with it though, it doesn’t look very sturdy and a solid block of plastic wold be very expensive. All you need is an arm and pickups, then you could make a guitar out of anything, you have to buy those for the guitar in the link too, i doubt those were 3D printed.

I made/modified lots of gear in my time, but never had a 3D printer. I do want one though. Would never make a guitar with it though, it doesn’t look very sturdy and a solid block of plastic wold be very expensive. All you need is an arm and pickups, then you could make a guitar out of anything, you have to buy those for the guitar in the link too, i doubt those were 3D printed.

Thx for your reply “TheBellows” - Wow that’s a skill right there. I would love to get into custom guitar making myself. This just made it look so easy. I’m sure there is a learning curve though. Not that techie so I might have to do it your way - ha! Cheers!

Thx for your reply “TheBellows” - Wow that’s a skill right there. I would love to get into custom guitar making myself. This just made it look so easy. I’m sure there is a learning curve though. Not that techie so I might have to do it your way - ha! Cheers!

To make an electric “guitar” isn’t very hard, but making a great guitar is very difficult. I’m not very skilled at instrument building, i just do enjoy playing around with those kind of stuff from time to time.

The concept is very simple, the pickup simply reads the vibrations from a steel string. Connect the pickup to an amplifier and you’ll hear sound, it doesn’t have to look like a guitar, it could be just a piece of wood or anything really.

3d printing isn’t always the same. The technical aspects and the used substances can vary. And you don’t really need a printer of your own, you can also supply 3d models to companies that will print your models for you for a price with the real big $$$ printers. I’ve even seen a company that can print and then cast your model in a metal of your choice, kind of expensive though.

As for the guitar, from a glance of the page it seemed to me that the neck and bridge are “conventional” guitar parts (they have to be, just think about the properties that wood has, and the enormous tension the strings will put on that part of a guitar), and they are kind of slid into and then fixed with the 3d printed part. So it is just a custom design guitar body. Ofc the body will play part in the sound a guitar will have, I imagine the used materials and design will affect it a bit. Not as hard as with an accoustic instrument, though. Think about those V shape or open bar frame electric guitars or violins, those will also sound cool despite having little or close to no body.

To make an electric “guitar” isn’t very hard, but making a great guitar is very difficult. I’m not very skilled at instrument building, i just do enjoy playing around with those kind of stuff from time to time.

The concept is very simple, the pickup simply reads the vibrations from a steel string. Connect the pickup to an amplifier and you’ll hear sound, it doesn’t have to look like a guitar, it could be just a piece of wood or anything really.

Indeed:

A good acoustic guitar is a whole different thing and a good luthier is worth their weight in gold imo.

Yes, to make an electric (or even non electric) diddly bow is very easy. You have to make up the difference in your musicianship, of course. It’s not harder than playing a violin or primitive banjo or whatever, though. Which isn’t exactly point and click, but totally doable with a bit of devotion. The hard part of the guitar thing is the math (not too hard, but it’s there and must be used…) and craftsmanship (hard) of putting that math into action on the fretboard, especially, and nut/bridge (which isn’t that bad). It is in some places very precise woodwork way beyond building bookshelves.