Manual Editing Of The Waveform In Sample Editor (ala Fasttracker 2)

I find that holding down the right button and zooming with the wheel is best system I’ve ever used. So elegant :yeah:

word to the skunk

no, i think its useless…even if you have empty sample slot, i know that in ft2 you had to load something data before you could draw. BUT i think that its easily done in renoise that you dont need to load or generate anything, just draw in empty space.

a pencil tool
or key combo + click to draw?

for me, im not a artistic type ov guy, but at least i can draw simple sine & saw waveforms without generating them…and that was the whole point, to DRAW, i think???

peace!

I’m all for a pencil tool … I hated it in FT2 when I’d accidentally draw over my sample though :(

… oh and while we’re on the topic of FT2 features: That cool “convert” button that inverted the volume values, creating DISTORTION FROM HELL. Yep, I’d love to have that back :)

@robert: You can not draw a pure sine wave. Not with a human hand.

@skunky: Cheers mate, got the feature now, but it is not perfect. You have to move the mouse left or right (thus moving the highlight) before you can use the roller wheel… If you dont, it just brings up the right click menu… Not to intuitive. I am sure I will get used to it, but it is not perfect.

and you cant hear difference which one is draw by hand and which one is ‘pure’…

edit: or mayby if you´re super human…BUT diffeence is sooooooo small that do we really need more these generate buttons ans checkboxes to mess up layout

its like LFO device. I dont NEED anymore those basic waveformsbuttons (sine, square & saw) cos there is this custom button…and with custom button i can draw & make sine, saw & suare envelopes if i like to hear them…thanks, peace!

EH???

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference…

post a drawn one which you have done that stands up against a generated one!

If you can do this I honestly do think that you are the next Vincent Van Gogh

Or Data off Star Trek. Anyway, if ‘generators’ like this were implemented, then it’d make sense to follow Milkytracker’s lead and have them as a sub-menu of a right-click menu, when clicked in the middle of the sample area. That way GUI space isn’t taken up, and those who aren’t interested in it can totally ignore it:)

Um yeah you would probably hear the difference between a perfectly generated sine wave and a wobbly hand drawn one ! lol
The waveform generator is an excellent idea , but can only be used to a certain extent, unless some sort of morphing process could be added to the generated shapes, maybe this is getting a bit too out of Renoises depth (cant we just get ready-made waveforms samples??)

BUT going back on-topic !!! a pencil tool or something for sculpting and correcting samples is definately what we need !!!

I used to edit the start of Kick-drums because most samples u obtain have an annoying click at the start and i would like to be able to draw a different shape rather than trying to fade in the sample.

Actually thats another thing thats missing , the funky amplification editor where u could select , A - start fade percentage -200% - +200% and B - end fade percentage -200% - +200%

I might add another topic to include this ! as im finding the fade in and fade out button very annoying to use. Doesnt give me the results i want sometimes ! anyone with me on this ???

Yeah, basically Renoise needs to makes its Sampler SUPER cool with a few additions, and then it will be perfect.

+1 for manual editing.

+263876467^234 for waveform generator.

Simple waveform generator: render a silent track to wave … put DC offset on the channel… LFO the DC offset at a fast rate… [Apply FX to Sample] … poof… instant waveforms.

… and you can resample the resulting waveform at whatever pitch you want ;)

download the free rock VSTI plugin and do it yourself in that one, render to sample, done :P

to BYTE-Smasher, vV and all other wavegenerating chipsters,
I think that this topic is too narrow minded.

Like Lerchiosi pointed, draw function is also very very handy to take out pops and click from recordings.

just my 5 cents and

+1 for draw function! :yeah:

+1

You can also use the custom LFO or even the automation screen with my method to achieve drawn waveforms

And I’m not trying to dodge the feature btw, just providing you with more knowledge tools for your arsenal of creative force;)

… GO BAD GRAMMER!

I had the same idea myself a while ago, and it’s an interesting idea in theory, but it really doesn’t work the way you think it would.

Process track DSPs doesn’t follow the LFO, it simply stays locked at whatever value the LFO is on when you press the button. In other words, if the LFO has moved the DC offset to -75% at the time you hit the button, you get a flat -75% DC offset applied to your entire sample.

It does work if you use “render selection to sample” so that the pattern is actually running while it records, but this reveals another problem which is a weird side-effect of the way Renoise’s LFO device works. The problem is that the LFO output is not perfectly smooth, it comes out in a stepped fashion, and there is some interpolation applied at each step, basically every time the LFO changes its value.

It’s easy to see what I’m talking about if we look at the output of a random LFO. There is clearly interpolation, or smoothing if you like, being applied inbetween changes. This is pretty much necessary because instantaneous parameter changes usually sound like crap.

Anyway…

Trying to make a sinus. Notice the strange bumpy texture to the curve:

Trying a linear (triangle) approach. Same bumpy waveform:

Finally, trying a squarewave. This time there are no bumps, because the only interpolation being applied is when the waveform flips over to the other extreme, so this one actually came out ok if you want a lowpass squarewave :)

My conclusion: Close, but no cookie… unless you need to generate a pseudo-lowpassed squarewave, or some chaos-like random waveforms, then in those cases it actually works ok (albeit a tedious process).

Just for argument’s sake, you CAN actually take the earlier bumpy sine, then lowpass filter it, and this will remove the bumps. So it IS possible to generate waveforms in Renoise purely from nothing, but… it’s a rather ridiculous process to go through just to get a few basic sounds :)

Yes, it would! This would be fine compromise! :D

dblue: I can try this when I get home for sure, but I was just wondering if you tried LFOs of different speeds? Seems like the debouncing/slew-limiting/filtering is happening at a fixed rate, so perhaps the longer the LFO cycle the less effect the slew limiting has, or at least the shorter the intervals?

What would solve this, and be a lot more useful for other things, is an “inertia” control like in many Buzz generators and effects, preferably with a curve selection like in the envelopes. Or an update interval control for the LFOs/automation curves, so that they could be updated on the subtick or even finer. That might slow things down a bit but there’s times when that would come in very handy. Of course that would probably involve rewriting a tremendous amount of code :P

Ability to draw sample is not only usable for making chiptunes, but also for correcting small glitches in samples. It would be nice to see this feature in Renoise. IMO best with pencil tool.