Mapping rotaty knobs to instrument macros?

Hi there,

I just got a Keystep 37 and I would like to map the rotary knobs to the instrument macros. It seems to only work on the first instrument, as if the mapping is stuck to that instrument. That is, as soon as I switch to any other instrument, the mapping is gone. Surely I am missing something, as universal (across instruments) mapping is the whole point of having instrument macros. It works fine with VSTi. Zebra for instance, I can have many instances, and the mappings within Zebra will of course work across all instances (and only affect the currently active one. But I cannot seem to find how to do this with the sampler. Could someone help out maybe?

@fladd You are using the *Instr. Macros device?

If so, make sure you have the value of the Instr. well routed with the desired instrument index.

@Raul The instrument Macros device is per definition bound to a track. So, even when my focus is on another track and/or on another instrument, then my rotaries will still control that device. Or at least I haven’t figured out how to stop that.

I just want the 8 macros of the sampler to be controlled by my MIDI keyboard. Not a specific sampler instrument, but the sampler itself. Such that, whenever I change the instrument, the mapping remains.

You are describing Renoise’s main MIDI routing problem. Each virtual parameter of each device requires a unique MIDI routing.

The fastest is to use multiple MIDI channels and route each device separately. Change the MIDI channel of your physical device to change virtual device (previously routed).

Wait, are you saying it is not possible to map the macros universally?

I do not think so. Each instrument has 8 associated macros. It is a characteristic of the instrument (not the track).

So for each instrument, you have to map its 8 macros independently. For example:

1. Ins 1: MIDI channel 1 (8 routes)
  2. Ins 2: MIDI channel 2 (8 routes)
  3. Ins 3: MIDI channel 3 (8 routes)
  4. Ins 4: MIDI channel 4 (8 routes)
  5. Ins 5: MIDI channel 5 (8 routes)
  6. Ins 6: MIDI channel 6 (8 routes)
  7. Ins 7: MIDI channel 7 (8 routes)
  8. Ins 8: MIDI channel 8 (8 routes)
  9. Ins 9: MIDI channel 9 (8 routes)
  10. Ins 10: MIDI channel 10 (8 routes)
  11. Ins 11: MIDI channel 11 (8 routes)
  12. Ins 12: MIDI channel 12 (8 routes)
  13. Ins 13: MIDI channel 13 (8 routes)
  14. Ins 14: MIDI channel 14 (8 routes)
  15. Ins 15: MIDI channel 15 (8 routes)
  16. Ins 16: MIDI channel 16 (8 routes)

16 x 8 = 128 MIDI routings :roll_eyes:. And this is only for macros. It is impossible! The same is true for any effect device.

Fortunately, we have the Renoise API to create a magic broker tool.

Renoise does not have a “universal” MIDI routing approach, instead his approach is: one parameter, one routing. This makes the correct use of any physical MIDI controller impossible.

But I guarantee this is going to change! :zipper_mouth_face:

Conceptually that does not make sense to me. It surely is the sampler that has the macros, which then get mapped to specific parameters of each instrument when loaded into the sampler. Otherwise there would be no purpose of the macros, since you could just control whatever it is you want to control of the instrument directly, without first mapping it to macros…it only starts to make sense once you assume that these are universal and mappable controls of the sampler, hence adding functionality over controlling the instrument parameters directly.

As I have already told you, the 8 macros are a direct feature of each instrument.
Each instrument has 8 separate macros, with totally independent control. They are used to route sample parameters. Samples are also direct features of the instrument. A scheme:

• Instrument --> 8 Macros
  • Instrument --> Samples --> parameters of devices (modulation set, fx chain…)
  1. Instrument 1: 8 macros
  2. Instrument 2: 8 macros
  3. Instrument 3: 8 macros

This approach is not incompatible with general control of MIDI routing.

@fladd Fortunately, this is covered, at least for the track’s effects devices. Follow these steps:

1. Go to the MIDI Mapping window
  2. Select “Track DSPs”
  3. Select “Selected FX”
  4. Maps the first 8 controls: Parameter # 01 [Set] to Parameter # 08 [Set]. Here you will use 8 MIDI routings.

On the other hand:

1. Continue in the MIDI Mapping window
  2. Select “Navigation”
  3. Select “Track DSPs”
  4. Maps “Current Track DSP [Set]”. Here you will use 1 MIDI routing.

In total you will use 8 + 1 MIDI routing of type [Set], valid for wheels or faders. In addition, you can route the navigation of the tracks with “Current Track [Set]”

The problem with its being so confusing is that it is “half hidden” in a drop down list within the MIDI Mapping window.

1 Like