Master Spectrum Thoughts.

Would be nice to be able to right click on the spectrum to set a hold position so you can monitor peaks, also perhaps give the option to set snapshots, to be able to A/B different sources, how your mix compares…
Perhaps also being able to set a falloff time for peaks.

Might also be nice to add bars as an option.

I realise all these things are available in free VST plugins but it can be a pain adding them as extra DSP’s to tracks to analyze, would be really cool internally, and most other DAW’s have something similar.

:)

+1
yeah would be a couple of vst-s less to use.

I wish what you view and how you view it could be independant, so you’d have the choice between “tracks” and “master”, and for both modes you could set stuff like:

• view what? (sum/left/right/both/mid/side)
  • view how? (as vu meter / oscilloscope / FFT / spectograph)

(just so improvements in one area will imediately improve other things, too.)

+1

+1 for it all, would really like to see some visual aids for help with EQing etc. The current spectrometer is good, but to be able to zoom in on a narrower range of frequencies and to set a buffer time, along with peak falloff times would be really handy. Ability to select L/R channels would be useful too.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it more importent to mix your stuff by what you here and not by what you see?
I find myself often staring at the master spectrum while eq-ing some stuff and visualy it helps me nothing… :unsure:

I’ve never found use for the spectrum view in Renoise or spectrum views period, other then to sometimes check the low sub frequency content/balance. It is not something embedded in the workflow though.

Can you spectrum watchers tell me what the benefits are in using these kind of metering gadgets?

Like the saying, “measure twice cut once”. I use the spectrum view and oscilloscope for mixing and sound design, the room I used to live in was horrible, there was some kind of frequency being cut somewhere… I listened to a rough mix in a friend’s car and the synthesized guitars needed to be turned way way down due to me not being attentive on the meters and insisting that I boost the levels instead.

For rough bedroom mixes I follow Foo ?'s (Mark Dollin) advise on mixing to the angle of pink noise… this might be interesting, http://www.renoise.com/board/lofiversion/i…php/t17372.html… some good links and light exchange of thoughts on meters. Too tired now to find links on phase meters, they’re useful too.

No, you’re not wrong, you’re just wrong in assuming anybody suggested to improve the various visualizations so we can make music in total silence… ?!

Hence the suggestions to improve it ^^

It helps me find particular rogue frequencies that could be lowering the overall volume of a tune. Too much bass is often the culprit for this in my case, but that’s becoming easier for me to manage with more practice, and bass is obviously harder for sotware to monitor accurately in realtime. However, I occasionally get limited by the odd screech on a high resonance synth or by 's’es or 't’s in speech which occasionally cause some peaking in unwanted places, and I find it a lot easier to look for particular frequencies than to listen and try to guess them!

Of course for the general sound of a tune you should use your ears and go with what sounds best, but I found using a certain plugin which has the aforementioned options has helped me out a great deal, and it would be nice to have the same options in Renoise.

just a general thing I sometimes find useful: making a very sharp, big peak with an EQ and move the freq around until the noise is the worst, then fiddling around with the bandwidth, then lowering that frequency.

I’ll take that on board Johann, makes perfect sense to me, thanks!