Mellow - 80's synth pop

Never made 80s synth pop before, gotta be a first time for everything. Extremely deep lyrics vocoder vocals, cheesy synths and 80s drums, what do you expect? :stuck_out_tongue:

http://soundcloud.com/thebellows/mellow

Interesting idea. I am not sure about the vocoder. It sounds off notes sometimes which makes it not sound very well. In general, everything else is OK, as far as I am concerned with the mix. :slight_smile: Good job!

Interesting idea. I am not sure about the vocoder. It sounds off notes sometimes which makes it not sound very well. In general, everything else is OK, as far as I am concerned with the mix. :slight_smile: Good job!

Thanks BrainClaim!

Actually i did the chording with the vocoder on purpose, i kinda like that it doesn’t sound too polished, but i probably could have done a better job with it though. There is a vocal track that comes in here and there that is not ran through the vocoder, so i guess that’s what you’re hearing. I used kerovee on that one, not a vocoder, but a rather poor sounding pitch correctioner. This is the first time i use a vocoder at all, so it’s just a little experiment. I just spewed out some crap lyrics into the vocoder and suddenly i sat there with this track. Not really my style, but i had fun making it. :slight_smile:

Using Vocov2.13 by the way, seems pretty decent for a free plugin, but it’s a bit cumbersome to use. It seems to stretch the input so that it fits a pattern and it doesn’t accept Renoise rendered wavs, so i have to first record a sample in Renoise, place it where i want it in a pattern, render the track to a sample, convert the sample externally and then load it in the vocov vsti. If i then change the bpm the sample will not stretch/shrink to fit, so then i have to reload the sample. I’m guessing it saves a lot of resources by doing it this way, when it doesn’t have to calculate everything in realtime, but it’s a bit annoying.

Interesting track, I like the synth arrangement.

I can’t listen too loud right now (it’s late at night here) but I wonder if something is out of phase? ie. a hollow sound.

It could be telling in the way the intro kicks into the track; maybe a limiter has been applied heavily but where the L and R channels are totally independent, I have found that to give similar effect. Are you using any other tools on the master track, or the filters inside Renoise?

Maybe you mastered on headphones where it can be easy to end up with this effect and be totally unaware.

Interesting track, I like the synth arrangement.

I can’t listen too loud right now (it’s late at night here) but I wonder if something is out of phase? ie. a hollow sound.

It could be telling in the way the intro kicks into the track; maybe a limiter has been applied heavily but where the L and R channels are totally independent, I have found that to give similar effect. Are you using any other tools on the master track, or the filters inside Renoise?

Maybe you mastered on headphones where it can be easy to end up with this effect and be totally unaware.

Thanks Mark, to be honest i didn’t really bother to mix and master it properly and it’s full of vst effects in both the mix and master, far from perfect.

First of all, I love 80’s synthpop so you get + points there! :slight_smile:

I really like the ideas here, cool atmosphere.

The whole thing needs to be mixed more in depth, but you say you didn’t bother to mix it and that explains it I guess. The hihats is lingering too high (and perhaps too loud) in the frequencies. The vocals should be compressed more and are too loud atm I think. The snare is top notch though.

Not bad. The vox is overpowering the mix plus the vocals don’t sound in time with the music in some spots. The vocals sound a bit rushed in certain areas. But sort out the vox mix and some of the elements in your tune, like your delayed synth and your toms and you got a nicely balanced tune.

I like it. I agree with some of the other comments that the vox doesn’t always hit the beats as precisely as it should. If you sound like a robot, I really expect you to have a robot’s lethal precision!