Midi Channel For Instruments

Hello!

I’m new to Renoise, and new to Midi. If i got this straight, Midi-commands / notes are sent through a channel and there are 16 Channels available. So in Renoise I should be able to assign notes on channel 1 to instrument 1, and notes sent on channel 2 to instrument 2.
I want to assign the pads of my Midi-Keyboard to my drum-Instrument, so I splitted the keyboard in 2 parts, left part sends to channel 1, right part to channel 2. I set up the Midi-Settings on the instrument-tab according to this (instrument 1 channel 1, instrument 2 channel 2). But now, if I press any note, it always sends the command to my currently selected instrument.

I tracked the commands - the keyboard seems to work correctly, i can see the channel changing according to the zones.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I misunterstanding something?

-manuel

edit: i’m using the latest stable renoise (also tested the beta) on OS X and a M-Audio Axiom 25 Keyboard.

I think the MIDI channel in the instrument setting is for outputting MIDI. I might be wrong, though. As far as I know you can indeed only play (input) one instrument at a time (the selected one). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

fladd

What Fladd said is true. you can only play the selected instrument.
This missing feature is discussed many times.

I don’t know if it can be done with scripting.

I don’t believe it can. In the meantime, you can play the notes, then change the instrument number.

renoise 3.0 midi FTW ;)

With hacks using the OSC server: Yes it can be done with scripting, but that’s not the most expected method to apply if you put this up against any reasonable DAW who does this natively and simple without hacks.