Midi Drums Triggering Samples

Hey all, I’m using renoise for the first time (never used a tracker before).
I just need to use it once for this task.

I have a MIDI drum track that I wrote out and I need to tell renoise somehow to play a sample for each midi ‘note’.

For example telling it to use a kick sample I have for every kick in the song.

I load the MIDI track into renoise and then i don’t know what to do next. Pressing play after loading the track also gives me no sound.

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question or has been answered a lot, but I don’t have time to search through a million pages or know exactly what to search for.

If you could help I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Matthew :)

you should create a multisample instrument (a drumkit).

take a look here

video available here

thanks for that, I’ve got the instrument sorted with all the samples and set the keys.

However, I can’t work out what I’m supposed to do next even with the tutorials :wacko:

I still get no sound when i play it, is there something else I need to do? like maybe assign the instrument to the track?

If you’re talking about importing a MIDI song into Renoise, there’s a good reason you get no sound - all of the instruments being used aren’t assigned to anything (yet).

Look closely at the song. For every note in the pattern editor, there’s a number:

C#3 02 <-- C#3 is the note, 02 is the instrument number

In the right-most corner you have the list of instruments.
Click on “02”, to select the instrument that the note was referencing.

Once the instrument is selected, you can view the “instrument settings” (click the button), this will bring up the sample/midi/vst properties for that instrument. You can also open the instrument editor and sample editor (both are meant to work with sample-based instruments).

Also, check that you have selected a sound out (preferences/audio)

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks DaNoise ;) I just don’t know how to force my Midi arps play by VSTi… your advice helped me to solve this matter!