Mint Linux + Jackd + Renoise?

Hmmm… the only thing I can think of… some other program or process is hogging your sound card. On my system the laptop’s built-in sound card can be used for regular audio stuff, and my external USB interfaces is dedicated to using jack. Try switching off the sound in gnome’s control center, and then starting jack. Also ensure any app that can access sound is closed (e.g. your web browser).

Is your user in the audio group?

sudo adduser audio

or

su root
adduser audio
exit

I have spare space, I will install Mint and document my steps…

Try “- nice -10” instead of “-nice -10”.

I get a similar error to above if I have something like a media player open that is using Pulse Audio or ALSA and thus Jack wont connect to the sound card. Does it work if you try and launch Jack (qjackcatl) before anything else after booting?

I do still always get a “Connection failure: Connection refused” message on qjackctl but it has never stopped it operating as expected so not sure what that is about.

Are Jackd and the Jack client both the same version? the client won’t connect if there is a difference.

It connects and works, I have used it in Renoise and VLC (although I have to remake the connection for VLC every time it loads a new file which is a bit of a pain) so fairly sure it’s work. Think it’s related to PA more than Jack.

Not in a state to play around right now as listening to classical and opera (bit different for me. Recommendations please ;) ) on Youtube and to start Jack I need to close Firefox if it’s had media or flash playing and also close reopen to get audio working from it again after stopping Jack and too hungover (and not enjoying work but at least it’s quite) to be bothered with all that right now.

I’m pretty sure I get that message twice in Terminal when I run qjackctl but if I run it with a sudo command I only get it once. Don’t generally bother with sudo for Jack or Renoise although some people have recommended doing so…

It’s possible to use a Pulseaudio-Jack module so everything gets rerouted via jack. I’ve got my system set up to do that. It’s always handy to be able to watch, say, a tutorial video, and work along in renoise ;)

To get pulseaudio and jack to talk to each other you need at least jack 0.118 and PA 0.9.21, plus the pulseaudio-jack module. Once you get over that hurdle its relatively straightforward to get it running.

Is there a way to tell synaptic or apt-get to install 0.118 jack instead of my 0.116?

Yes there is. You have to add a repo… ppa:motin/until-jack-is-included-in-main

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:motin/until-jack-is-included-in-main
sudo apt-get update

Why do I still see version 0.166 of jackd in synaptic package manager?

So I decided to download the source —> sudo sh configure
brings me a warning that jack is installed. (after a clean os installation?)
Check /usr/lib and found libjackblablabla…synaptic tells me that it belong somehow to gstreamer-bad. And Dependencies Information told me that it conflicts with jack. Guess here is the overall problem!!!

Anyway, how the **** can I tell synaptic to use ppa repository in that way I can install 0.188 version of jackd??? Do I need to deactivate the normal repo which is including jackd 0.166???

Might sound odd, but can you see that rep in the Synaptic repository dialog? Have you tried adding it using synaptic rather than at the command line?

I can see it in the synaptic repository too. But I am not sure if it automatically installs the key with synaptic, thatswhy I added it via add-apt-repository. With this it ads the key automatically.

Not sure what version of PA I am running but I did try and get pulseaudio-jack working before but couldn’t after following instructions on some site (think I may of linked to it on a thread I started on but not sure.)

OK just done pulseaudio --version and it says I’m running 0.9.19 so that could be why I had problems. May think about this again in the future.

So far treating this install as a major learning experience. Once 10.4 is officially out and I have heard it tested by audio users I may try a fresh install of that and hopefully everything I’ve learned will help me get fully up and running with less messing about and quite possibly wrong steps leaving me with a few niggles…

Ok did the Mint install, but to answer a different question first, if there is more than one version available for a package you select the package in synaptic and then goto package>force version

now here are the steps I did, I wrote everything down as I went along…

install system

do all recommended updates

install linux-image-rt from meta packages (universe)

install qjackctl

goto users and groups in control panel, click on icon to make changes, under properties for my user account goto user privileges and check off use audio devices

allow audio group to access rtprio , nice, and memlock with values from ubuntu studio preparation guide

reboot and choose rt kernel from the grub list

start qjackctl

works

until I rebooted again…

and now qjackctl crashes every time…

the qjackctl in the ubuntu repos seems buggy now, it broke on my kubuntu set up and it is acting the same on mint.

Ubuntu has been struggling with audio since version 9.x which is a shame as ubuntu studio is a great idea.

I cant even burn a CD with Ubuntu, cause its using an obsolete version of cdrecord. Thats all you have to say about Ubuntu imo.

Then stay far away from Mint as well, it is based on Ubuntu and uses it’s repos.

My favorite Linux distro’s are in order: Gentoo, Zenwalk, Slackware, and Lunar. The more user friendly Linux becomes, the less desirable it becomes and bloated with crap. I like Linux because it feels like you are using a computer, and you have total control of every aspect of the system if you now what text files to edit.

Have you tried out Avlinux, 64studio or Fedora with the ccrma repo?

I say try out Zenwalk, a scaled down Slackware distro. Uses the Xfce window manager by default and in the repos there is all sorts of audio goodies like rt kernel, LV2 etc all ready to go.

Mint Linux 8 uses the recent version of cdrecord. ^_^

Yeah, I’m very happy with Mint 8 :) You can add Debian repos too. Actually, I wouldn’t mind giving Debian a go at some point. Their dev/unstable repos have plenty of up to date audio software.

Not to start a distro flame war, but my friendly recommendation: Try Mandriva.
Jack with pulseaudio-routing etc all from standard packages. User friendly and stable, rock solid audio, no special customisations or trickery needed.

I have posted elsewhere a few times the setup I use for qjackctl letting pulseaudio always be available, regardless if jack is started or not.

Edit: here’s the relevant post: Linux Pulseaudio Support

Really, Antischocken, there’s a typo in your first post. If you typed it into your config file like this it can’t work. See my previous post in this topic…