Mmd_as

What are you guys using for stereo effects?

Gosh BYTE it’s hard not answer this question without describing a lot of complex engineering detail! And every song is a bit different and every sound is a bit different. Perhaps you can draw my attention to one sound or moment within these tracks and I can better explain what we did?

In general mixing I tend to both filtered (i.e. leave only the mids) chorus or delay to get mono sounds to have nice width (never ever the ‘width’ tool in the channel fx).

With delay usually:
L=7ms R=11ms, 0 feedback, between -14db to -6db wet, swapped pan channels

With chorus usually:
0.6 speed or lower, full width, 10-30% modulation, 0 feedback, 0 delay, 20-40% wet.

On these songs we’ve employed heaps of different dub delay fx and filtered reverbs. All the settings are pretty creative and closely filtered. We’re both abusers of EchoLive and Filterbank delays.

…And on the mastering I’ve used RescueAE M/S processing to add just a touch of gain to the ‘side channel’ in order to make the perceived soundstage wider than it is, which quite a dramatic and pleasant sound.

Excellent worky guys. Glad it’s out finally.

Thanks a bunch for the feedbacks, both of you ;)

I’d be interested to see if anyone thought these songs were a little too weird to digest… I was listening to mainstream radio today thinking about our work ‘oh gosh we’ve gone out on odd limb here…’

I can hopefully rebuild my studio tonight and take a thorough listen.
It’s been sitting on my datastick for too long now.

Oh, and please don’t compare your work with the asscrack of our artform ;)

The good news is that I’ve added the new album to the mmd shop, available as a high quality FLAC download for a realistic $10AUD via paypal. Again, we wish that this could be a physical copy of a CD with cool artwork and such, so for now a FLAC version will have to do. Think of a purchase as a ‘show of support’ as any donations are halved between Alex and I. I don’t expect a heap of interested (my last album only sold about 5-6 copies), but we’ll put the option there for you just in case.

Woah, just listened to it (i just woke up after a brave night, too early in my opinion, gaaaah xD) with a good cappuccino, croissant and some cats sleeping on my knees… and yes, a coat on my shoulders. I mean, mine is the typical opinion of the old farmer grandpa xD, but still, it was a very energizing listening.

Its not my kind of music, I must admit, but maybe for that reason it was a mind clearing experience. Sounds are brilliant, immersive, composition flows while strange sounds or rythms shake it. That’s all, I’m not used to express my opinion on music with words :)

I love Jbhaxidi, Rare Bird and Saint Santa :walkman:

btw: the dog on the covers rocks!!! :yeah:

nice songs :)

Thanks for the feedback gents! :D

Nice album, I particularly appreciate the last song, which I first heard about 2 years ago when Alex Strain sent it to me or something, now that I compare it when the new version on mmd_as we can definitely hear mmd’s contribution in the mix and my ears are pleased.

The part that I liked the least are the vocals but that’s mostly because I rarely like vocals. They reminded me of porcupine tree, which is a good thing.

Thanks for sharing your creations, I enjoyed this release.

What a massive project. You can hear the love for music in the music!
I must admit it’s not my cup of tea, which makes it hard to judge from
a musical point of view, but you managed to create a unique vibe with
this album, with all tracks fitting in the same ‘concept’, without refraining
from exploring the possibilities that your concept has to offer.

Great work on the compositions and sonically very impressive!

Kind reviews both BotB and JBL. Thanks! :D

Credit where credit is due. Excellent work.

Hello Laurence! Very glad to have your little contribution to this project :D It made for quite a distinct emotional space in “Jbhaxadi”. Not a great deal of attention to the work so far, but I’m happy that it’s done and something that we can stand back from and say ‘yet that’s complete in a satisfying way’.

Oh wow I didn’t hear that one. I was just listening to the rest of the record. Well anyway I like the direction you took, you’ve both done a bang up job.

Head’s up people! The album has been remixed and remastered!! Get it now on Bandcamp.

I’m especially interested in getting your opinion on this if you’ve heard the original version. Most certainly will be a difference you can recognise :)

If you’re interested, here’s the blurb from my blog:

Didnt hear the previos versions, as i was not on this board yet then…Still wanted to say it sounds nice, a lot of creativity in this.

Sometimes it can sound like it’s not going anywhere(like its on a dead end somewhere…) but then some strange sound comes to make sense of it again, the different song take u places that are really different so to say(not sure how to explain)… that can be called a work of art…Enjoyed this.

Thanks weeble, that’s a good review! :) These songs are certainly attempting to be a little different, sometimes denying the cliche rather than giving it to you on a platter. The supreme goal with all songs was to honour the “feeling” of the song, to make that feeling as mature and unique as possible. If that sometimes took us to strange places, then great. But never odd-ball for the sake of it.

Alex has got planned a remix of one the songs. If I’m right, it will be a much more conventional dance mix. Stay tuned.

Revisiting this album years later…

It’s really, really good! My initial review was shortsighted but even today it reminds me of porcupine tree.