More Midi Control?

impressive work Koppi !!!

That’s really, really cool! You’re basically sending keystrokes to Renoise, using a pre-configured controlller map? I thought it was impossible, but perhaps linux is different.
Will it be possible to support other controllers, and not just the nancontrol?

Hey breska & danoise, thank you very much.

Yes, the application basically sends midi-triggered keystrokes to Renoise, which are defined in a file called KeyBindings.xml (which is generated by Renoise). The app works as follows: first you put it into Midi-Learning mode, which resembles Renoise’s “Midi-Learning” mode. Then you switch the app into “Renoise-Action-Mapping” mode, where you assign the Renoise keystrokes to the buttons/knops/faders of your controller.

One way under Linux to send keystrokes is to use the XTest library. Porting the app to OSX might be very simple (- however I do not know, which input mechanism Renoise uses under this operating system. I have no access to Mac hardware). Porting the app to Windows is a little bit harder, I think (search this forum for “DirectInput”).

It is of course possible to use this app with different Midi controllers, not just the nanoKONTROL. However, if you want some sort of graphical user interface, you must add a bit of c++ code at the current state of the application’s source code. I plan to release the source code after the Renoise2-beta phase is over. ❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚ ❘ ❘ 47% ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘ ❘

Kind regards,
koppi

Hi Renoisers,

today I decided to release the source code of the “trigger keystroke by midi”-application. You can download and compile the application as follows:

$ git clone git://github.com/koppi/nanonoise.git  
 $ cd nanonoise; qmake && make  

Install and run the application:

$ sudo cp nanonoise /usr/local/bin  
 $ nanonoise &  

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
koppi

Koppi, cool stuff!

Maybe you could post a thread about it here: https://forum.renoise.com/c/renoise-tool-development/renoise-xml-fileformats-tools

The list of what you CAN do is too long, so I’ll try with the opposite:

• You can’t control transport (start, stop, next pattern etc.)
  • You can’t control scopes (mute/solo)
  • You can’t have two-way midi communication (for instance, to update LED lights in the controller)

But it’s no problem to control any other parameter (such as the mixer), you just have to assign it manually.
Be creative! For instance, I add a gainer in order to emulate both ‘mute’ and volume on my nocturn controller.
If in doubt, hit CTRL+M and every parameter that is MIDI assignable will light up :slight_smile:

Now there’s a good reason to install ubuntu :slight_smile:

Hey koppi,

thanks for releasing your sourcecode. I am currently hacking around to make it possible to map mmc signals to the controls as well. The problem is, that your code only accepts midi signals with the length of 3, where as an mmc signal has 6 (see line 194 in MidiIO.cpp). I don’t know, yet, which info is exactly needed do identify all possible mmc signals. It’s just my first thoughts after having a look at your code.

Thanks again for the code, much appreciated.

Hi MarvelousMarvin,

thanks for giving it a try!

You can of course make MidiIO::sendMidiRecived() more generic, ie. change it to accept midi signals of any length. Then, make some changes in MidiKorgNanoKONTROL::midiRecived() to fit your needs. Please send me your diff when it works, so I can integrate support for mmc signals.

Kind regards, koppi

Just added MMC Controls support to the nanonoise source code. MarvelousMarvin, thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards, koppi

Hey, that’s great! I gonna have a look at your changes when I am home from work. :D

Thanks alot!

marv

Are you sure, that you’ve committed your changes? I’ve just updated my sourcecode and can’t find any changes concerning MMC controls. ^^
EDIT: oh wait… my svn is acting funny… O.o
EDIT2: ok… it’s is working like a charm… awesome work :) thanks alot ^^

is there any solutions here for windows?

if not…

please add support for either bome’s midi translator… or add a feature in renoise that allows midi to be mapped to keyboard shortcuts… asap :D
hear a lot of people dying for this kind of thing all the time.

cheers!
lou.

n00b here :P
deadbeef?

More MIDI.

Hell, I say midi control for every single paramater. Could take a while, but it would be pretty friggin cool. Saw a video of a guy using the akai mpk keyboard with renoise and he never touched the computer. Would be very nice indeed.

http://www.myspace.com/justinstewartconcept

+1 for midi control!

I still think that you should be able to link more than one parameter to a knob/fader with the option of specifying min, max, log, and step.

A dashboard would be really cool too.

I’d just like to add my name to the list of people hungering for this.

I’m very impressed by Renoise so far but the realisation that I can’t map mixer mute/solo to ANYTHING was a surprise to say the least and a tough nut to swallow. What am I now going to do with my Novation Remote Zero. :wink:

Me too. I can’t really use Renoise live in the way I want until it supports full MIDI-in routing.

This is a major feature.
Renoise really is becoming a full DAW now and this is pretty standard stuff.

+1 for midi controllable everything.

It would give me a reason to finally get a half decent midi controller instead of this old yamaha djx. lol.