More Mono Sounds!

Interesting to see many chipping in with this! It is certainly something I`ve missed over years of reading various techniques of ways of mixing etc. Admiteddly mostly on forums though.

Definitely is another dimension to the mix that needs thought/ control!

Will have to check out the David Gibson stuff, might get some inspiration for next Movember aswell!

Damn! The guy seems to know his stuff, but it’s so hard to follow. That effin moustache is bigger on the other side.

Edit: it’s worth the effort, though! Thankyou! Been watching these for a while now.

Amen to that. :yeah:

A small article on this subject:

http://www.thewhippi…ing-tips-p1.htm

and SOS cover it in here with other stereo/ panning tips:

http://www.soundonso…eotechnique.htm

Great tips.

Quoted for page 2:

Yes the SOS article goes into a lot of detail.

I will have to re-read it some more to digest and try to apply to my own creations!

Thanks for great resources guys!

I’d like to share a tip I heard somewhere. Before mixing do a calibration of your hardware that is - set the preamps, amps and whatever you have before mixer to a certain gain which results in an unity gain on a mixer strip with fader set to 0 dBU position. In renoise this would mean setting “Pre” volume to some value or insert a gainer before “Post” volume. Then do a calibration of your sound system. If you have a sound level meter or it is possible to borrow one (this stuff is seriously expensive and by expensive I mean REALLY) then get one, play a sound that has a 0dBU level and using C filter on the meter set the gain on your speakers (or your amp if they are passive) to the level that the level on the meter is ~80 dB.

In result, you will have the same change of sound pressure level (dB SPL) as the change of voltage in your equipment (dB U).

P.S. why use C curve? 80 dB is quite a lot. Longer exposure to such level may be unhealthy. If calibrated with C filter instead of A you gain some headroom, the sound is quieter yet still the proportions between SPL and voltage are kept.

thanks for the Sound on Sound links, Ledger!

In addition to this, the monoizing, is it just done with a Stereo Expander or what are your Native to Renoise methods of monoizing stuff?

@ carmazine: thanks for the tip, seems pretty advanced!

@ esaruoho: At the moment I use the native stereo expander for this, though I am not sure if it may cause some phase issues to watch out for (I remember reading that somewhere?). Works for me though, however someone might be able to chime in who has more knowledge on this.

Been trying this recently and have to say it works nicely!

I am finding I prefer this even on stereo pianos in a busy mix now…

To quote Conner, Good Times. :)