Multi-composer-track

I agree: we could use samples categories into the samplepack, otherwise it would be a real mess!!

Everytime a composer finishes his part, he could attach a small txt file, to mention the samples added and the main changes he did to the FX and other important stuff. Or he could post it on the site, in a sort of “board diary”. This is only to keep everything clear to everyone who partecipates…

I would include in the list also It-Alien, Bantai and Giles Constant (according to their replies, they are in… no??). So 9 people, 5 (or less) minutes of music for each of them is good… Don’t set an exact amount of time to reach: 1 hour, 2 hours. Everyone do what he feels and let’s see what happens. If I compose a 3 minutes part and then I have no more ispirations, I should give up, because I could create some bad “ice music”, without feelings, only because I’m forced to reach at least 4 minutes…-------------

I’m only afraid of this: will It-Alien be able to compose something under 5 minutes lenght?? :) :) :)

I’d also like to join in, if possible - see my sig for examples.
I’ve been using trackers since 1994 on the Amiga, took a long break from it and have now started up again recently using Renoise and my trusty Athlon PC connected to the world via a 1MBit cable modem. :)

You may ;)

Cool B)

mhh… yes. Guess this is right. I didn´t thought about that. hmph I slap myself now :rolleyes:
Well I think we could use 5 minutes parts as a maximum amout of time and also everything below (as Mekkah said) can also fit. (As I said somewhere we haven´t to do exact an hour [more or less] :))
About your multiple turns-idea. Yes this could be funny but let´s see what the others say.

@Guest (please identify yourself next time)
I agree, this is a major problem because we forgot (ok not really but not clearified yet) a big thing about if we´re using a last part of a track to compose. Simply: How to get your composed stuff from the cutted part to the complete source???
We could do it as Bantai said and render the whole part (now I understand what you meant :) not “ProcessFX”) but this would lead into the mentioned delay or reverb etc. problem.
Well I don´t see another solution at the moment except we can only edit the complete file. Maybe every last composer have to pay attention ,when he finished his part, to set somewhere near the end his variables of effects and envelopes?! In addition we could use (Mekkah mentioned it) a Streamfile for a clean replay of the progress the track atm. is

When I undertood it right? So you would like to host the whole thing? Because I´m also already working on it. A homepage for it (and thinking about for us to set up a public ftp server)

Involved Artists at the moment:

Mekkah; Bibby; Dufey; Sagosen; iLL79; P.T;Bantai; It-Alien; Giles Contestant;Andy:Ray;RichardM; and maybe “Guest” when he/she tells us who he/she is (I say you´re all in now :P)

13 artist. In my opinion enough. What are u saying?

Looking good, let us know of the website address. :)

13 or 14 aritsts is enough. I completely agree about the composing turns. As I said, 5 minutes are too much…

So, I guess it’s time to begin to think about an"official" group of rules and then we could begin to decide the composing turns…

P.T: you are the promoter of this project, so I guess you have the right to make the list of rules… ---------

Mekkah: I guess we shouldn´t get started sooo fast. There´re still some open questions like:

• How about the multiple parts handling? Still waiting for comments! We could do it like I, Guest or Bantai said or whatever. I want to be sure what you´re thinking about it or we could abuse a poll again.

• Samplepackage. Splittet into instrument-genres that for sure but who wants to compile… you, he, she, me, the whole earthpopulation or we together? The last way I prefer the most by the way.

• P.T is confused about the webhosting: I would like to know who Mr. Guest is so I could contact him. As he said he builds up a upload/download-system (guess php-based) so I could leave that to him and I could offer the place and the homepage.

Quotet from guest:

PLEASE!!! Contact me or give me a way to contact you :ph34r:

• Another thing: Do you all agree with the at the moment “Musicians-Load” or maybe one artist more or less. I also definatly think this is enough for the first try :)

Well, I guess if these questions are cleared we can set the offical rules. I will put them also on the website then.

“guest” was me :slight_smile: sorry!

yeah… I was using mod_python actually… not done much yet (just set myself up a server on the end of my DSL line and put up a “hello world” page), but I don’t mind putting it together if you don’t have the time.

Up to you :slight_smile:

giles@spacepigs.com

Just one question (maybe to the renoise developers)…

Because of all the fuzz/bugs around renoise 1.28, i’ve shifted back to the 1.27 version. Will this make it difficult to juggle the .rns files among other users who happens to use 1.28 instead?

About the project, i think it’d be best if we all continued on each others songs… meaning you should yourself mix your song into the previous users song, mixing them into each other… how you do this is up to yourself.

Looking forward to this!

:D

ok, here’s a rough draft of some rules (with a few queries :-))… for the “crappiest machine” spec, mine’s an Athlon XP 1.8ghz… anyone with less than that, make yourself known! What do you think guys?

1. Participation

i. All participants must provide a working email address to contribute. You can
register at any time.

ii. Each member will be given a number of periods of 3 (??) days to add
their contribution. These will be ordered in a first come, first
served basis, and rotated in order until the song is at a desired
length, which decided by the group.

iii. If you are unable to attend your allocated date, you may ask to either
be pushed to the back of the queue, or you may swap with someone
else, by their permission.

iv. Anyone is entitled to contribute to a “final mix” of the finished song
after completion of all tracks. The “official” final mix will be
decided apon by democratic approval of the group.

v. The title of the song will be decided by democratic approval of the
group. You can call your own bits in the ‘track listing’ whatever you
like though :slight_smile:

1. Content and use of features

i. When adding to a song, provide useful documentation on anything you
may have added or changed so that the next person knows it’s there!

Typical comments are along the lines of “VST added to track 1”, or
“Hey, I turned off your reverb on send1!”, etc.

i. You may add as many effects and/or automations to any audio track as you
wish, except any of the following:

Reverb
Delay
Stereo expander
10 band EQ
VST Effects

When adding or changing effects, they must not change the sound of
previous patterns (except the last pattern - see viii.).

ii. You may add as many “send tracks” to each track as you like. You can
add as many effects as you like to each send track.

iii. You may not add any effects to the master track until the time of
final mix.

iv. You may add VST effects or instruments, PROVIDED:

1. They are free to -redistribute-
  2. You provide a copy of the DLLs when you upload the mod (put them in a .zip)
  3. VST effects are only added to send tracks (or master in final mix)
  4. They don’t kill the CPU (see vi.).

v. You may not use MIDI.

vi. The minimum spec machine is (?? who’s got the crappest box? :-)). Make
sure that on your 6Ghz dual CPU Opteron 64, the CPU usage meter doesn’t
go over that percentage of power at a reasonable latency setting.

vii. You may import .ogg files. You may not import .mp3 files (due to
licensing problems).

viii. You may make minor edits to the last pattern of the last participant’s
entry for the purpose of blending the music into your own parts. By
“minor edit”, this doesn’t mean you can completely ruin someone’s tune!
Show some respect!

x. You may not add more than 5 minutes (?? comments?) of music to each “slot”.

xi. Aim to keep the file size below 30MB (?? what do you think?).

xii. Use intelligent track names, and try to re-use as many existing
tracks as possible.

1. Copyright

i. The finished production will be jointly owned by all participants, but
by contributing, you allow for all decisions relating to its copying and
redistribution to be decided by the democratic vote of all members involved.

ii. Any samples and/or VSTs instruments you add to the music must be free
to redistribute, and must be provided with any submissions made.

Actually, scrub “you can register at any time” from part 1… otherwise, if the rest of the internet realises how cool this is, we’ll get swamped :slight_smile:

Anyone who doesn’t register before the project starts, er… tough :slight_smile:

P2, 500 mhz, 128 mb ram here

:unsure:

sorry if i ruined anyones plans

Hm, easy solution: When “registering” for the project, list what specs you have, and the one with the oldest Renoise-version/slowest comp start first. :)

That means: you may use 1.27 if you want, Dufey, and the composers coming after you should be the one with the second slowest computer etc…

This should ofcorse only apply to those using computers under 1/2 ghz…

eeeeep :lol:

Haha, that’d be strange if I’d have to start off the project, uhm… what an honor :D

Be my guest :rolleyes:

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256MB RAM
Lot’s of free HD space
Windows XP Pro SP1 + Mandrake 9.1
Soundblaster 5.1
DirectX 9b
1MBit cable modem
Renoise 1.27

I think that will do the job. :)

this is good for me, except for it’s difficult for me to have 3 days with free time in a row. I could think of a saturday-sunday-monday row, so maybe we could give a preference about the days we can compose.

We workers have the priority of course :rolleyes:

mySpecs

P4 1,7ghz
512mb
plenty of space
7gb samplebank(35000files)
WinXP
Soundblaster Audigy w/kxDrivers
Cable Modem
Renoise 1.28

myShortBio
started making music on ZXspectrum (Wham!) in 84-85 then on to the Amiga
using SoundTracker, ProTracker, MEd then to PC using FastTracker…
Played the guitar off and on since age 16 (not that it shows though :slight_smile:

Andy at
andyray@chello.se

This excludes the chance to use composing turns… Because Dufey, for his second turn, would receive back a track made by the guy with the fastest machine and a newer version of renoise, and he couldn’t go on…

This means only one turn below 5 minutes??

@Giles

You got mail!

Good to see somebody helps out here. I´m not good at project-administrations anyway :)

my thoughts about the (vary) general rules:

i. agree
ii. dunno about the timeline. Myself could need a timeline from 10 minutes to maybe 1 Week. In my opinion we could expand the whole stuff a bit ?
iii. sounds good.
iv. agree
v. agree

i. agree. A simple thing like a changes or additions.txt should do it.
i.2. agree
ii. agree
iii. agree
iv. I don´t know if we really should use VST-Plugs (especially for those with slower machines)
v. agree
vi. agree
vii. ogg is good. Everybody should make sure that he gets a proper encoder.
viii. agree
x. agree except some seconds above I think.
xi. ???
xii. I say we should leave the tracks unnamed or put additionally the dsp-effectnames init.

i. agree
ii. agree

Some specs.:

AMD Athlon 1.6GHz; 512MB DDR-266; SB-PCI 4.1; Guillemot Maxistudio ISIS; Winstupid XP + SP1 and SUSE Linux 8.2.; Renoise 1.28 Full
Samples. An own little selfmade libary (aprox. 10meg); many Sample-CDs (some copyfree); many ripped stuff!
Connection over an Internetrouter -> LAN-Cable 100Mbit -> single ISDN (ZZzzzzz…)

premium@ptrance.de

I second that. Since the first or second edit step is finished I guess the others mustn´t (ok, this is a situation question) add more effects. Just try vary and edit them before adding new fx.

edit
dufey could also try to work with renoise´s working config when he is composing.