Mutant Breaks #10

PS: BIG UPS TO DANOISE AND ACHENAR WHO BASICALLY DID ALL THE WORK.

@TwoThreeZero, 21esters, you both snagged 24 votes each - congrats!!

(and I see ffxā€™ attempt to rig the voting system by voting for me three times didnā€™t work. But thanks anyway mate :)).

Will be interesting to see what happens nextā€¦

Random selection video will now be produced (by me?)

Yes please!!
But passing-the-baton/gauntlet/whatever has also worked pretty well so far. I did #7 and voting ceremony was, well, cold.
But it was also a really, really fun thing to do, I can only recommend that experience.

Among the finalists?Want Renoisebumper-stickers?

Itā€™s simple: 12 finalists means 12 sets of stickers.
PM me with your personal details (name, address) and I will make it happen.

I feel bad for ditching out this way, but iā€™ll see if i can make some short reviews later. Lots of great stuff as always and congrats to the finalists.
Good luck guys!

Congrats to those with the top votes, but also congrats to all who offered their music and comments in a positive spirit of support and encouragement.

As always, keep exploring and creating.

Congratulations to all the finalists!

For the rest of the MBC participants,few of them first timers too I thank you all for your audio contributions and positive vibes and camaraderie. This resembles a writers club ceremony where everyone ends with a ā€˜novelā€™ on their hands which is the biggest takeaway for each one individually (!). It is also like a birthday party where its the winners party becos of your RSVP invitation and where you get to eat the cake and drink the fruit punch too :slight_smile: :drummer: Super!!

Maybe we could do something with the Renoise Yx00 ā€œmaybeā€ command playing samples of each track and counting the ones that get played the most?

oh shit ā€¦that would be cool

There is only one valid winner:

math.randomseed(mbc_playlist.total_playing_time_in_ms)
winner = candidates[math.random(num_candidates)]
winner.rejoice()
-- mbc_playlist.play_on_repeat(winner, time=60*60*24*365)
mbc_playlist.play_on_repeat(winner, time=60*60*24*365*10)
-- 10 years of this shit, wow...

Deterministic fate cannot be escaped from.

Congratulations to the top 12!

Anyways, I would like to thank everybody for their small reviews, it encourages me to do more. Especially thankful for EatMeā€™s little bit salty review, which I appreciate, I know I have to work on my mastering (which I did on my 8 years old laptop speakers, btw.)

This was in fact my first finished song in Renoise, others were just sketches. I played in a band for few years but never really produced music, so I am not a professional audio producer. I do it for fun. The reason I write this is because I think Iā€™m not the only one here doing music just for fun and you seemed maybe a little too harsh on some fellow Renoisers. Sorry if I didnā€™t get the joke or something, just my point of view.

Really looking forward next yearā€™s competition, I promise Iā€™ll try not to get all metal again!

Anyways, I would like to thank everybody for their small reviews, it encourages me to do more. Especially thankful for EatMeā€™s little bit salty review, which I appreciate, I know I have to work on my mastering (which I did on my 8 years old laptop speakers, btw.)

This was in fact my first finished song in Renoise, others were just sketches. I played in a band for few years but never really produced music, so I am not a professional audio producer. I do it for fun. The reason I write this is because I think Iā€™m not the only one here doing music just for fun and you seemed maybe a little too harsh on some fellow Renoisers. Sorry if I didnā€™t get the joke or something, just my point of view.

Really looking forward next yearā€™s competition, I promise Iā€™ll try not to get all metal again!

bro ā€¦dot worry if you are a beginner ā€¦i started using Renoise this yearā€¦post all your questions here :slight_smile:

a lot of the producers and users in the thread .

had help me a lotā€¦every time i posted a stupid question :slight_smile:

and your song was ok :slight_smile:

Donā€™t worry about anything, mate. Ignore whatever isnā€™t constructive criticism and just keep doing it. I do my mixing on headphones and a fourteen year old JVC Boomblaster. I am intending to get better equipment soon, but experience counts more than equipment. Soon you will be a master of your domain.

Thereā€™s a right and a wrong way to offer criticism. Not everyone is up to it. Perhaps, like making good music, itā€™s a skill that comes with time and experience.

Your track was good, and Iā€™m glad you were part of the competition.

Keep releasing stuff and keep us up-to-date.

I forgot to congrat everybody for the very professional tracks again this year.

So yeah, good job, well done!

You rulez!! :yeah:

In my case, music is only a casual hobby and will never be more than a casual hobby. I would have liked to make soundtracks in the 90ā€™s on Amiga 500 or Atari ST. But it was not the case. And so doing music on Renoise is kind of a revenge. For MBC10, I think I did my 10 years track in 10 hours. I had fun to compose this oldschool newbeat and to include lyrics that are at the opposite spirit of what could be heard in the late 80ā€™s (move your body, feel the love, with your soul, free your mind). It is not my goal to become pro. Not at all. My goal is only to have fun. And I had fun. Checked!

Now Iā€™m going to listen all the MBC10 tracks in my car to have another very good feedback effect.

Standing ovulationā€¦ oopsā€¦ standing ovation for all of you again!

Perhaps, like making good music, itā€™s a skill that comes with time and experience.

Your track was good, and Iā€™m glad you were part of the competition.

Keep releasing stuff and keep us up-to-date.

i heard someone / one time (that create good music as well as finishing your work ā€¦its a matter of creating a habit)

other people ā€¦producers says that ā€¦inspirationā€¦its for beginners the real pros ,ā€¦just sit in studio and get the job done

ā€¦lately i must say thatā€¦as a producer you start developing shortcutsā€¦for getting nu soundsā€¦for mixing and laying down your ideas faster and faster

even if its a hobby ā€¦like Sokoban saysā€¦at some point ā€¦by doing it ā€¦on a regularā€¦you would hear a difference ā€¦in qualityā€¦

at least thats how it works for me :slight_smile:

sorry for all the grammar errors jjj :slight_smile:

Please never stop doing metal again! Personally I think rock or metal musicians are very unlikely to use something as left brained and computer programming like tool as Renoise, the same reason you wonā€™t find possibly 99% of metal or rock musicians using an MPC the way electronic guys or hip hop heads or techno musicians do it. The fact that you came up with your own composition while having a metal background is very admirable and I hope you spread the message to your friends and band members as well:) I liked your track very well actually and the fact that you used real electric guitars and made it sound like a metal track. Never mind the mix, it works for an intended band pass filtered sound, it just means that you had a different vision of the end product or that you really were limited by equipment as you say ā€˜mastering on your laptop speakersā€™ which actually gave me a proper chuckle:0 Just who masters on a laptop anyways (lolz) Take it in good spirits.

Actually this sort of mini compos must be a regular thing. In various other scenes and even in the programming/ RE circles and companies that I worked in we used to have Hackathons for a weekend or just a day and see what people came up with and the most fun or creative or innovative or by popular votes were the winners of the day, most have very quick deadlines and like in speed chess itā€™s the end result of either a stalemate or checkmate or if poorly played a total loss. Its more than just a show of skill or winning for sake of winning which while nothing wrong in itself is not the real motivator for me in any of my pursuits in life. If you learned something from an event or a situation and you become a better version of yourself by the end of the process and learn something that enables you to grow rather than stifle you you are already a winner in yourself. Trust me on this one -competing with yourself is the hardest thing to do in your entire life.

I also discovered another thing in life - ā€œyou will always find some better than you in something, but there is not one who is better than everyone in everythingā€. That person would be God only. You can always contribute in more than one way and everyone is unique and can better himself provided he has the will to do so and circumstances feed that instinct.

The fact that music exists as a probability function of various elements and that you derived one particular sequence form that probability pool by combining different elements of vibrations and put it in one coherent sequence means that you have put yourself in touch with this universe and itā€™s huge energy pool. Even if we consider this deterministic in some sense that there is a finite pool of universal probability and energy , the pool size is humongous and the individual elements that go into a specific direction is far too complicated to compute and that will stay that way for a long time. So never be afraid to be human and learn and do things the human way.

Eatme did not spare me too and I actually appreciate his matter of fact way of reviewing peopleā€™s stuff. In real life I am actually a total asshole with a vitriolic tongue and sharp wit with most people I meet and even my close friends can get enough of me sometimes, plus I get into fights etcā€¦you would not be able to tell from my music but I have a lot of rage inside me, not the bad kind but the controlled kind. Music is very therapeutic to me and itā€™s brought me closer to God than any man made religion can. I discovered Neo Soul and Black Gospel 2 years back and itā€™s been a revelation to me and I am currently a Jazz guitar student studying the work of greats like Wes Montgomery and Pat Martino and John Stowell. Life is short and being productive is the best way to get things done as a human being. Eveyone makes mistakes, happens to the best of us. A healthy attitude to life is very essential if you want to stay sane. I am new to Renoise also, purchased my copy around February this year and been less than a year and have around 15 project files created that have to be reworked and completed while importing resources and assets form other DAWs that I have been using all these years ( Logic, FL Studio, Reason, Cubase,Cakewalk), I got many assets from older projects and projects with local musicians from about 5-7 years ago as well going to about 130 GB of material that have to be redone in the current format of my musical epiphany and newfound tools and knowledge. I have started playing guitar full time for only 4 months now and everyone I met in the last few months (Bangkok, Vietnam, India) who sees me play says that ā€˜hey so you must be playing for about a decade or so?ā€™, that is a genuine complement as I take it and I make sure that my hard work of playing 3 hours per day does not get into my head anytime, itā€™s a long journey really, and in the end you are on your own.

I find MBC, in my first experience, a highly rewarding communal experience and for someone like me who is involved in studying black music, software reverse engineering and spiritual warfare, not to mention too much love for everything European - itā€™s the perfect melting pot of an event with the best of intentions for any musician professional, underground or amateur or hobbyist which is more like an open competition. The competitive spirit brings out the best in everyone and eveyone still has to the requisite hardwork to make it work on a technical level. I found pretty much all the tracks done very well on their own so I canā€™t be bothered with negative reviews from just one track. But for an entire album, now that is some whole other level of reviewing. That shows consistency and creativity of an artist. That however is for another discussionā€¦let us all get some work done in the meantime.

Watching Star Wars today eveningā€¦and brought some new Sennheiser earphones (with extra bass) and testing them out today and playing my own track entry on it and loving the tone and bass:)) Itā€™s a different direction of music I am exploring personallyā€¦

My friendly advice, make making music your primary function as a human being every single day and you will develop as a person and as a musician in every way you can. Just like exercise, the discipline accumulates and before you realise it you will notice changes on your own that will pleasantly surprised you.

Also life is short (once again)ā€¦donā€™t waste it. Ever.

Many thanks to Conner_Bw and everyone else involved in running this competition. It was so awesome having some extra time this year to work on a tune for this comp. Seems like every year I run out of time or something comes up.

Congrats to the finalists and BIG BIG UPS to everyone who spent the time writing a tune reviewing and listening.

J-qak - Thanks my dude! Have a water bottle on me :badteeth:

Robodub - Thanks for the kind words.

Djeroek - I hear you buddy. Glad to make that playlist. Sounds appropriate. Thanks!

EatMe - Itā€™s true. I did a quick shitty scoop to remove some of the highs but its likely not enough. Thanks for taking the time.

powieff - Glad you and your daughter took part and had fun. Thatā€™s awesome! :clownstep:

Raegae - Haha. Thatā€™s an awesome review. Thanks. Please invite me to this gig.

encryptedmind - Thanks dude! That is high praise indeed. Would love to finish a b side track I had in mind and get this onto a 12. Iā€™ll keep dreaming :slight_smile:

sokoban - Hardcore will never die!@@ Thanks buddy.

TwoThreeZero - I definitely have some Ladyscraper on the vinyl shelf :yeah: Thanks for the kind words.

danoise - Thanks man. Stoked you liked it enough to play it for someone else as well. I guess it would be breakcore/gabber :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow! Thank you guys for your support! This really isthe best community. So supportive!

Just to clarify, I get it that someone might not like other peopleā€™s work, thatā€™s normal. Itā€™s just there are more ways to tell it. Generally,ā€œI donā€™t really like the composition of this songā€ sounds much better than ā€œthis song is shit.ā€ I mean, itā€™s other personā€™s work, into which he/she put some creative effort in. I think I just couldnā€™t say it like that. We are not really competing here nor are all professionals, so I just felt like itā€™s too harsh in the situation. And I really didnā€™t intend to make this just about me.

So thanks again for your support.

ā€¦

Also life is short (once again)ā€¦donā€™t waste it. Ever.

Great essay, I appreciate it! Thanks to you I came to realization, that I should do more stuff I like than stuff that other people like. Not just music, life basically. We are all originals so why do something that others do?

Wow, feel motivated nowā€¦

@encryptedmind / J-qak: I have a few friends who are into the heavy stuff: doom metal, slowcore and have played it for years. This type of music is highly technical and theyā€™re more geeky and obsessive about the production than any ā€œelectronic music producerā€ (yeah, quotes) I have ever met. They use every trick in the book, including software to modify live-recorded drums by stacking or replacing them with other sounds. And then thereā€™s the mixing - oooh boyā€¦

Actually, this is not a new thing. I think Def Leppard pioneered the use of using samplers in the studioto reassemble entire recordings back in the 80ā€™s, painstakingly cutting out, stacking and mapping them. Must have been a nightmare back then, and is definitely still a lot of work.

But what Iā€™m trying to say here is that a tracker is actually uniquely well suited for this kind of work. So, if thatā€™s the musical path youā€™ve going down I would simply encourage you to keep exploring Renoise. Itā€™s definitely not the worst choice for this genre, not by a long shot.

@encryptedmind / J-qak: I have a few friends who are into the heavy stuff: doom metal, slowcore

oh shit big fan of doom metal here :slight_smile:

early and later Anathema/ My Dying Bride/ Candlemass/ Cathedral,Type O Negative Katatonia ā€¦da fakkk

iā€™m a metal guitar player myselfā€¦wtfā€¦lets ā€¦form a band :slight_smile:

also i really reaally like Black metal and avant garde metal and rock shit

i am a huge fan of Mike Pattonā€™s project Fantomasā€¦which is also a superband featuringā€¦Dave Lombardo ā€¦and Buzz Osborne from the Melvinsā€¦

this is not doom but ive made this using Renoise

https://www.facebook.com/asielmanuel.rodriguezespinosa/videos/vb.100009601518507/1842672399396126/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

@danoise: Hmmm, interesting point of observation, but in my experience with the metal guitar bands here in India itā€™s a little different, I think they suck anyways cos I actually totally hate metal music - so wrong guy for any opinions (lol). Most of them play guitar songs from bands like Dream Theatre as an idol. One of the best guitarists I know in town who really does shred, canā€™t name the notes he just played or play ANY simple jazz chord progression, understand and play the difference between triplet time, swing, and tuplets. Likewise music theory is rather a simplified affair with them for instance- diminished scales 1/2-whole and whole-1/2, harmonic minor, Aeolian, Ionian, blues, whole tone scale, pentatonic scales-major and minor and some esoteric variants like Hungarian minor. Tritones of course for the devil effect. Also pentatonic scale are the bread and butter for most metal music.

99% of their chord progressions are diatonic or simple modulations, most of their aggressive chords are powered chords with root-fifth-octave voicings. Technical guitar methods are limited to whammy bar wails, tremolo, sweep picking (which is cool though), finger tapping, hammer ons and pull offs and barre chords and muting left and right handed for 99% of their songs. Ohhh and pinch harmonics too for that wheeeeaahh effect on high pitched notes (love that though!)

Transposing is really easy on any guitar just move a shape up or down. Every scale has 3-7 key positions on the fretboard, so say a d minor scale can be played from the 6th string from 10th fret or 5th fret from 5th string and both of their octave positions lower in strings 2 and 3. These however become second nature over time.

Chord voicings however are somewhat challenging if you want to explore all finger positions and chord melody (bread and butter of jazz) is another skillset that I rarely get to hear in a doom record.

So yea all the Pyro techiques get very old to me fast because while technically impressive itā€™s as interesting to me as note repeat on MPC. For some reason metal does not hit me in my heart.

Also limitations on guitar, search YouTube for Dirty Chords by KC who is a well known gospel keyboardist and there is a really long thread for guitar versus keyboards and why guitars suck at Neo soul or gospel styles. Hint: you canā€™t really play keyboard voicings and double octaves or note doubling at a keyboard range.:slight_smile:

However Messhuggah does their rhythm very well indeed, but so does Venetian snares for that matter.

Now back to computer software usage, if the bandā€™s really used Trackers to produce music I really want to hear them !! Pls provide some links.

Also I watched Whiplash sometime back and such and awesome movie, it says on the poster in the lead protagonists bedroom wall that those who canā€™t play jazz play rock. I know itā€™s kinda sounds elitist and arrogant but in many ways, a Joe Pass solo or a Wes Montgomery solo is miles ahead of any sweep picking display of FX pedal wizardry and mandolin like up down finger pick motion music, which is what I call electric guitar metal solos which is again diatonic as usual and does not involve the analytical brain in terms of chord melody techniques and voice leading but more to do with using established sounds and distortion to hide all off the above and focus purely on creating atmosphere. I feel itā€™s a form of agressive ambient music.

Alan Holdsworth makes some really mind bending genius music(he is passed away sadly) and bassist Dave Carpenter is too good, so friggin melodic.He sees the entire fretboard as one unit and not like majority guitarists do in terms of positions.

Jim Mallinsā€™s jazz is full of heart and soul, he really feels what he is playing.

Wes Montgomery is the original pioneer of true melodic jazz which is very horn like in his lines and super fluid. He plays just with his thumb mostly, similar to Jim Mallinsā€™s.

I love this comp.