Mutant Breaks #8

Yeah, votepack!

I wrote a quick “review” of each song while listening - in no particular order:

13^2 - Chronology
Picking up some oldschool vibes here - in a good way. Fundamentals are solid!
Just wish the track was longer, feels like that great clock shuts it down before it’s really settled.

Carbonthief - thevalueoftime
Combine a sparse arrangement with huge sound, and you get this tune.
Around 2:30 it would have been nice with a variation, instead we get basically the same arrangement over again

EatMe_-_astrodanz
Signature Eatme sound - carefully produced, energetic and melodic.

The vocal sample could have been used a bit more, it gives atmosphere in an otherwise very clinical production.

Einparkende Neuwagen - Reverse alarm beeps you to sleep
Taking one bit 80’s eastblock electro and some in-your-face drums … love how it goes down in gear during the middle part, only to get back in gear for the final part.

One of my favourites, I’m getting some serious chills down the spine from this one.

Garfferen - Happy New Beer
The start had me hooked. A real tracker tune, complete with funky gated lead solo and catchy hooks.

I could see myself watching some glenz vectors while listening to this song.

Geteon - Coo Coo for Coo Coo Clocks
Arpeggios, massive synth lines and borderline breakcore drums! There is a feeling of tension and urgency to this track, which I’m sure was the intention.

Wouldn’t want to listen to this on a bad day…or then again, maybe I would?

Grasshopper - ThisFuckingClock!
Intense! Love the atonal lead riffs, the comb-filtered background noises, the whole way the song feels like a boat in high seas, swaying back and forth but generally heading forward. Good stuff!

Juholento - New Years Eve
Wow, this song comes off to a good start. I wish it would groove on like the middle part, instead it sort of stops abruptly.

A bit more effort with this one and it would have gotten my vote.

Mars64 - Emit
Lovely, lovely work on this one. It has a really good flow - and that’s even before the ‘thoughts have a certain sound’ blows the house down. Also, killer bass!

Matt D - Found No Time
Get into the industrial vibe with this one. Really dark and monotonous, but not boring.

The track has vocals, but you might miss them if you’re not paying attention. Great stuff!

Msymiakos - Countdown Jungle
Yes! This is one solid jungle offering from Msymiakos with excellent flow and plenty of “genre-signature” sounds .

Not the big jungle dancer myself, but I could fool around on a dancefloor to this one :slight_smile:

Raegae - RaegaeOClock
Wait, what do you call this? If the previous entries were not experimental enough, this should satisfy your craving.

Definitely fitting my personal definition of a mutant break, but also a somewhat disjointed effort.

Redpanda - Timeline Freakadelica
Full-on dub vibes from redpanda13, which somehow manages to disband time, instead existing in it’s own space. Quite an accomplishment.

Production is spot on, and it’s just a very generous experience to listen to this track.

TAKAO - I LOVE SYRUP
This is a full-on house track powered by a solitary clockwork. Perfect use of that “knocking back shots” sample :slight_smile:

There are some very funky riffs in this one, strong enough to carry the minimal structure of, well, house music.

TheBellows - Clockwise
Probably the most experimental of the bunch, even for TheBellows’ standards. It starts at full intensity, and never lets go.

Well, maybe a little bit in the middle section, but that’s only to return with a vengeance. Oh, and check out the .xrns :slight_smile:

basicmethods - mutantbreaks8
So, what’s going on here? Smooth club music, thats what. And return of the “knocking back shots” sample :smiley:

Intro and outro reveals that we’re dealing with someone who knows how to structure such tracks.

daemonarmada - creep stp remix
This one instantly got my attention. Vocals, guitar and that smashed up droning bass/kick synth.

Essentially an acoustic song, only made more interesting with the massive electronic treatments

midierror - Latitude Escape
For me, this tracks stands out with it’s flawless production. Especially the reverse-y pad sound is beautiful.

Like so many other tracks, I would have liked the track to be a few minutes longer. Time, that damn thing…

Vorpal - Mutant 8
Ninja music - Vorpal truly is a student of the old masters. The intro creates an excellent haunting atmosphere, and this is kept throughout the song.

The use of “everyone is happy and celebrating” gains a somewhat ironic twist in such a perfectly dark context.

Inbox your votes to me through the PERSONAL MESSAGE function :ph34r:

Secret ballot? What a twist!

Secret ballot? What a twist!

So, the voting works same as before, right? Each participant votes for their top 3?

It’s 5 am, i’m just sitting listening to the tracks, it’s a torture! So many good stuff in there, how are we supposed to decide? Damn, now i can’t sleep :stuck_out_tongue:

So, the voting works same as before, right? Each participant votes for their top 3?

Votes used to be public.

yes indeed!

Yeash I was listening last night, really enjoyed going through them…its funny how loads of people got inspired to use the vihart sample, which is her, counting down with a microwave!

https://www.youtube.com/user/vihartvihart/videos

Shes cool, here is her main channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart/videos

Votes used to be public.

I know!

Who can vote? Is it participants only?

Who can vote? Is it participants only?

I believe it’s the same as previous years. So yeah, participants only?

Of course, you can always vote for me. I’ll happily accept :slight_smile:

I don’t see why we shouldnt open it up to everyone…when people hear the tracks they may want to join in next year.

So yeah open to the entire Renoise community

Send your TOP3 to me via personal messager :walkman:

I don’t see why we shouldnt open it up to everyone…when people hear the tracks they may want to join in next year.

So yeah open to the entire Renoise community

Send your TOP3 to me via personal messager :walkman:

Was curious about this too. Downloaded. Will message my top 3 once I have listened. One question though, if I don’t have the plug ins for related artist’s renoise files, is there a possibility it may not best represent the finished product? Any alternatives or is that being too picky?

Any alternatives or is that being too picky?

The download includes a mix of WAV, OGG, and MP3. Submitting an XRNS was optional.

Thanks MattD.

Sent my votes. Damn hard to pick once I was down to 6-7 tracks. Definitely some gems in here, gj everyone!

Votes submitted. Great work by all! :smiley:

Vote cast. Was difficult to narrow it down to only 3.

Great Job everybody!

3e9410b4e61aba6d6446fc466b2229ca.jpg

Great work, everyone! It is difficult to make a choice, as all the works are of high quality and literally carry away. Interesting to watch when while working on the same topic, many musicians come to similar strategies, such as constant clock knocking during the whole track or usage of guitar. It is as if everybody is set on the same wave. It was interesting to feel this entire vibration. Thank you all!

daemonarmada - creep stp remix

Powerful work. The rhythm does not change even for a second: it goes forward as a mechanism in which something human was installed. Machine voice is accompanied by guitar cracking sounds.

The Bellows – Clockwise

Powerful work with a number of elements creating baroque sound. The sound is going so fast as if the time itself is escaping. Rich breaks, fat bass, knocks and clicks are intermixed harmoniously.

Carbonthief – The Value of Time

Very beautiful work, starting from the piano bridge and pads and finishing with guitar riffs and the whole picture. I’d mark out the layer of guitar noise which is quite powerful. It is one of my favourite tracks.

Grasshopper - The Fucking Clock

Textured work when different sounds are layered and start to sound in a different way. Short but precise work: the head is destroyed by breaks and noise to the countdown.

Geteon - Coo Coo For Coo Coo Clocks

Rich digital hardcore styled on chiptune. Sometimes it reminded me of kkrusty sound. Powerful kick, fat bass, the breaks pictured the atmosphere of inevitability really good.

midierror - Latitude Escape

Dexterous work. Sounds like a well-tuned mechanism with an option of autooscillator. Quote groovy work which sets your mechanism into the action

BasicMethods – Mutantbreak#8

Great work which sounds as if you are swinging on a big pendulum and flying into this or that side.

Msymiakos – Countdown Jungle

Breaks just destroy your head and energy does not allow you to sit in one place. As if the brain was shoot by electrowavy amphetamine shot. It is the power that does not let you go even for a second. Fever!

MattD – Found No Time

Interesting and surprising work Sounds like a well-oiled machine: it goes forward and nothing can stop it. It is an industrial march of armed mechanism just before the shot.

Takao - I LOVE SYRUP

As usual, great work which does not allow you just to sit. It is swinging like a marry-go-round. Powerful kick, deep bass, tasty melody jut explode in your head with this sound. I at once imagine this played at the dance-floor.

13^2 – Chronology

Breakbit takes you from one spot into another and you arrive just in time. Nothing extra, only forward from one spot into another, step by step.

Einparkende Neuwagen - Reverse Alarm Beeps You To Sleep

Interesting work, sometimes poetic, sometimes pushing. Well-chosen sound to the samples, especially to the countdown voice.

Glixxando – Twilight

Unbelievable beautiful work, especially the deepness of the guitar. It all sounds as if you are slowly drifting on the spiral of eternity. The times that are already gone and those that are still to come, the forgotten civilizations and the power of the civilizations still unborn are fleeting past you. You feel smaller than a dust on this picture. Though the work is short, it could be relistened to again and again.

Garfferen - Happy New Beer

Vigorous and dizzying work. Sounds as if you are drinking shot by shot of hard liquors, and, turning off your head, you are breaking into a dance. By the end of the track you start to feel dizzy and understand that you need to breathe some cold air.

Vorpal - Mutant 8

Rich and dark sound. As if you are driving into a long tunnel where the shadows start to thicken and penetrate into you, making you dance your abstract dance. Very energetic.

EatMe - Astrodanz

Melodious and rich work. As if your head and your body start to live the life of breaks and melodies.

Juha Härsilä - New Year’s Eve

The track sounds as if something important is going to happen. Such rise and power of one moment stretched for 2 min.

m3tr1k - MutantBreakz8

It is just headbreaking stuff. “Thoughts have a certain sound” just takes away those remains that had not been broken by the bass in the space of flying delay and echo. 6 min of clear essence of cosmic blow-off on the low earth orbit, shown on the hands of zoomorphic clock.

Rægæ System – Rægæ O’Clock

Very high over the cuckoo nest. The shapes are morphing, the rhythm is striking, the mechanism is stuck, the melody is thrumming. As if you are going to be very high soon but you should attend a meeting in 20 min.

Cast my vote :walkman:

And yes, it’s really cool to see so many great variations over a single theme. Looking forward to whatever happens next!

I’ve collected together almost all of the entries and put them into a playlist on the Renoise soundcloud profile:https://soundcloud.com/renoise/sets/mutant-breaks-8

The only one missing is 13^2. I’ve messaged him and hopefully he’ll upload his entry so it can be added.

Great work everybody, that was fun listening! (Voted.)

I’ve collected together almost all of the entries and put them into a playlist on the Renoise soundcloud profile:https://soundcloud.com/renoise/sets/mutant-breaks-8

The only one missing is 13^2. I’ve messaged him and hopefully he’ll upload his entry so it can be added.

Don`t forget to add 00.1 work :slight_smile: