Mutant Breaks #9

Wow, you made it hard to choose guys! This year is amazing!

But here we go:

1Vaeprism - Unfurnished_Mutant -love this Richard Devine’ish sounds and really hard effort!

2 User3315860525 - Room Listener - Yet again awesome sound! Remind me of Woulg which I like.

3 midierror - Agoraphobia - for some reason this synth sound andmelodywake some nostalgia feelings, that I cant ignore :slight_smile:

It was really tough decision this year, keep it up! Also thank you for those awesome reviews!

Here`s my vote (in no particular order)

• m3tr1k — Mars64 - MutantBreakz9 [Love the jazzy mood and the funky breaks. This could have been released on Metalheadz in the mid 90`s]
  • mios(Michal79) - Still not home [Very nice and uplifting melody. Great drum work in this one. Reminds me of both jungle and the demo scene]
  • Burital - Robochip [Thinking of my old Amiga when listening to this. Feeling the 8 bit and 4 channels. Nice use of the vocal sample]

Thanks a lot for the votes. Much appreciated!

Second day, second part of my review ( I am older than yesterday )

1. Komu — Freedom

The voice joins percussions as fast as it can be. We leave downtown for a coastal drive ( with a bit of imagination )

1. Tipical start, quick loop, showing the importance of a background. Then comes the miracle with some rhythm sticks easily reverbed making some good vibes in the atmosphere

2. m3tr1k — Mars64

Trumped is sampled delayed for an extraordinary result in a modern black and white american city track propulsed with identificated bass line hit hat and other great sounds.

1. acodreon — Acodreon - Empty Room

Maybe the most industrial sound in the playlist with some efficient constructions

1. ImmortalFlux - Laughing at the Thunder

When it starts, you are directly conviced that the mature and melancoilic laugh makes the song. But then, a powerfull melody leaves this impression on a desperated side to finish the line proudly and determinated.

1. jackie — The Decorator

This is my favorite. Why ? at 40 second comes the truth at 1 minute the escessive sample. The truth comes back stronger at 1’30 and the song becomes alive.

1. sodiufas — Nightwanker.

‘Night’ maybe for this soft track and I would encourage you saying that the song fits with a concert hall, no roof exept the night itself

1. midierror — Agoraphobia

Agressive, paranoiac, not at all. Just a clean song with a disturbed pack of sounds hidding what is so terrible here.

1. user3315860525 — Room Listener

Crisp and abrupt could be the living noises of this empty room.

Nothingness is collapsing. And so you like it.

1. JTPE — Mudslingage

You know what Drum and bass means and all instruments and samples play together in an electrical fluid score.

So much tunes, I’d like to thank everyone for 2hrs of playtime variety :slight_smile: The experimental/idm vain is strong in this one. My 2 cents about the tracks (I’ve marked my picks with +) - Please let me know if I omitted someone!:

00.1daemonarmada/roy robinson in dreams

I like how the guitar parts switch to piano parts. The overall dissonance mood makes this track cool.

VaeprismAbyssus/unfurnished mutant

Fantastic use of household percussion in sound design.

BasicMethods/2016mb9

Really solid deep/underground house. I think the structure is good, but maybe some variation on chords or parts without chords would be beneficial here to improve interest.

Burital/Robochip

I like the chiptune/beastieboys combo, the breakparts are equally nice too. Why there is no bass/bassline? The main riff is good, but it would also benefit from some other supporting parts like pads, etc.

Carbonthief/SecurityDeposit

Im not the big fan of GMesque quality of some sounds but the track is very well thought out. Neat guitars.

Chunter/ThisYourHomeNow

Interesting intro and the overall minimalistic atmosphere. I liked the progressions and vocal parts. Everything souded soo dry and sterile, at least for my taste.

CrashNoiseDivision/MustSleepInTub

Song with a realy great mood. I wish there was a little bit more substance to this one.

Danoise/Glixxando (+)

Gotta love those strings, they define this track for me. Sold and polished one, theres not much to brag about, I think maybe the bass department is the weakest part here (needs more compelling and clear bassline, at least imo).

JTPE/Mudslingage

Interesting drum variations.I think there are also some nice fx here and there.

EatMe/ItsHotInHere

Nice vibe and the best sounding key/pad in mbc9. Both of the chord progressions parts are well done here. I wished they were more distant from each other, for the overall contrast to be bigger. Also no other distractions, like fx, arps etc. so it got slightly boring at the end.

Ester/SidAM3-4

Well made IDM piece, done by numbers (I am really not an expert on this at all, but mangled amens on top of reminscent pads/erratic rhodes/ grained-streched vocals sounds pretty familiar).

ffx/NeverStopMovingOn

Another very solid 80s vibe track with great sounds. Arrangement wise I think track maybe unnecesarily streches above 4 minutes, since there is almost nothing new there and the breakdown with the bass was weird to me.

Geteon/AffordableHousing

Fine chiptune and glitchy parts in short form, but that wall of sound was an overkill for me.

JBL/MotherNeptune

Great atmosphere and sounds. I would really liked a longer form.

Komu/Freedom

All the melodic parts and the arrangement were pretty good. Didn’t liked the overly bright and dry sound of drums and the vowel part was a bit too cheesy for me.

kurtzlapiNIC/Shelefttheaparment

That was definitely too much of vowel filter for me :). I think the melodies were nice.

Mars64/MutantBreakz9

Pretty decent jungle tune. The occasional ‘wet’ bass parts felt a bit too loud.

Matt DeMoss/ExpansionPort

Not much to say about this one, other that sound wise it was pretty great, I love chiptunes.

Michal79/StillNotHome

Something went wrong with the bassline after 2:17? Loved the melodic parts.

Midierror/agoraphobia(+)

What a lovely mood, great percussion bits here and there, fxs as well. Shame the track has almost zero spatial information, everything is dead center. Its like the track has one dimension less.

Msymiakos/UnfurnishedJungle

Very solid jungle tune, nothing more to say here.

PowieffAcodreon/EmptyRoom

Hard to pinpoint on this pusty pokój ;), it feels really weird and unique…so in that terms its a good job.

Reagae/FillWithWhat

Funny :slight_smile: Really liked the creative use of vocals. Im not much of a fan of amen breaks but It was chopped in interesting ways in some parts.

Redman/v9[HerosEnd]

Nicely chopped drums, acid parts were pretty cool too.

Redpanda13/Somebody’sHere

Interesting intro and gated instruments, almost sounding like vocals sometimes.

Sodiufas/Nightwanker

The main nostalgic melodic theme is pretty good.

GhisMart/AloneInTheDark

Great use of speechsynts. Some arrangement parts were pretty interesting, with speed changing etc.

Stailer/NewCityNewLife

Pretty nice composition, has epicness written all over it.

TheBellows/Refurnish

Drums are pretty strong in this one. I liked the many many variations.

TwoThreeZero/RoomListener(+)

My favourite from the experimental ones. It builds atmosphere very well, the pacing is great, on top of great sound design.

Uilome1/Alternate

One of the few relaxed/easy listening tunes in this competition :). Pretty good synth arpeggios, the whole track sets me in a contemplative mood.

YuryKvasha/theordenofelectrosidea

I like the transitions between breakbeat and 4/4 beats. The whole track feels a little too repetitive.There is no actual bassline here, I feel like it would benefit greatly this tune.

My votes:

Ester - SidAM 3-4
ffx - Never Stop Moving On
Carbonthief - Security Deposit

1. EatMe - It’s Hot In Here: soft and warm track slowly spreading over one’s entire body with bright rays of light. There is practically nothing going on in the track which is why this is exactly the kind of space you strived to get to and where you really wanna be.

2. The Bellows – Refurnish: interesting and multifaceted work with a lot of elaborate elements and complex structure. For me it’s not an empty room but a kind of abandoned factory. There’s a lot of unrest going on in the track which makes you feel alert. I especially liked 3.33-4.45: as it I got to the roof of the factory and was watching the world outside.

3. Glixxando - The Downstairs : one of my favourites. The track is quite compact: there’s the space, but it’s not flooded with some superfluous interfering things. I think the track is very close to the topic of unfurnished apartment.

4. Vaeprism- Unfurnished Mutant : strong track, especially beginning with a lot of space. Sound design is on top! Technically it’s a perfect work: all the creaks and cracks and scape saw cuts sound very tasty and fresh. And after that there’s a feeling you left the empty room and entered yet another room in a parallel reality. It’s all different there: wires and digital nets all around. You feel like you were thrown into this room and the door closed and you have to stay here. In the end I wanted the track to take me back to the first room, but it didn’t happen.

5. Stailer - New City New Life: compact work sweeping past you as some dusts in the moonlight floating in the empty room. I liked the melodies: feels like lying on the floor and experiencing the night euphoria. Everything on the right place.

6. sodiufas - Nightwanker.: beautiful work with a lot of space. It’s hard to define the source of the sound. Feels like an empty room without a roof, star music pouring from the sky. I liked the moment with high hat entering, making everything tremble. Something is also sad about this music. Maybe the feeling that you can’t put your own slipping roof back. :slight_smile:

7. Burital – Robochip: drive work! Feels like a gang entering an empty room and rocking there all night! The space is closed and tight, it’s getting hot but you just keep moving on! It’s a pity the room is empty and all you can do is breaking those walls.

8. ImmortalFlux - Laughing at the Thunder: light and relaxing work spreading a strange and familiar feeling you’ve already been here before. As if every of us has been here but then forgot its way back. This track can last forever. Firstly you think it’s too short and want more, but then you understand that this is it: something truly beautiful emerges only for a moment and you change the way you live after the encounter. I think something really unforgettable happened in this room.

9. Matt DeMoss - Expansion Port: interesting, like being in a 8bit room. Seems empty, but it’s filled with texture cubes. Funny place but not for long.

10. basicmethods - 2016 Mb9 Master: groovy track! Like being in a boiler room. A lot of action, the sound puts you into a trance and you are suddenly in a room which feels and look different. In the end you just collide with the space.

11. TheftOfCarbon - Security Deposit : unexpected blow! One of the favourite metal styles is midi metal. Guitar is well recorded, the sound is tense and aims at the goal! Interesting experiment at the verge of industrial, heavy and progressive with midi drums in a Guitar Pro 3 style. Great work!

12. Daemonarmada - roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix: hypnotic. This rooms reminds me of those where they cook something in a spoon before merging with the floor completely. Dangerous stuff! Only this much is enough.

13. Komu – Freedom: interesting work. The guitar was unexpected. Sounds balanced and fits in the structure. Music sweeps into the window of your empty room as a see breeze and you desperately want to run with the wind.

14. Mugmouth - V9: strong work! The whole server room which makes you tense till the end. Be careful not to get tangled in the wires.

15. user3315860525 - Room Listener: Interesting John Cage-ish approach: to listen what’s inside, which is what people are really seeking for but usually can’t hear. Very exact moment at 3.37 when everything goes silent for a moment. Well played.

16. Hanz Meyzer Lab - Never Stop Moving On: cool track! Firstly you think you are in 80s room, but then in the middle of the track you find some 60s stuff under a floor board and go right to the far away room hundreds years away.

17. midierror – Agoraphobia: quite a restless room. Weird machine sounds, maybe it’s life support system?.. Maybe a critical care room? Some strange squeaks. Maybe it’s a room outside of your subconscious.

18. Acodreon - Empty Room: interesting work, great atmosphere of the unfurnished room, a room running away, always in motion. Maybe it’s not a room but a living organism in the shape of the room.

19. Msymiakos - Unfurnished Jungle: as always the first-rate track which makes one move. Machine-gun bursts are dashing through the room, shaking the space and starting a holy slaughter. It’s difficult not to be torn apart by these meaty breaks.

20. Uilo ( W lo W ) – Alternate: unusual work. Reminds me of a room with soft walls. At some point everything is turned upside down and it’s quite paranoid. Also reminds of some powerful drugs.

21. jackie - The Decorator: cool work! Makes one turning! You are dashing through a beaming kaleidoscope made from pieces of outside world. The speed is steady but some leaps just bring you beyond time flow to return back later.

22. THE ORDEN OF ELECTRO - Side A: unusual breakbeat you have here! Thousands of tiny fibers are woven into one neural network. They are sliding, scorching and then paint intricate patterns on the walls of your mind. Beat is well done and pop up lids are great.

23. Ghismart - Alone In The Dark: funny and tricky track! Everything is on the right place, there’s only the foundation which also starts to break at some point smudging your blood all around the room walls. Hats are the most juicy: they swing your head and the body is unable to stop.

24. Geteon - Affordable Housing: Powerful work! Nothing is extra. The track is very organic and not labored at all. There is a certain order known only to the chaos. The style hasn’t changed much as compared to the previous year but became even better. There’s more attention drawn to technical stuff, but the technicality didn’t influence the stretch of imagination by letting it float to the new heights.

25. Chunter - This is Your Home Now: unusual work with no definite structure. Interesting musical experiments, sounds great. The vocaloid is well interwoven in the structure and it lulls you with its murmuring sound. Interesting funk transition in the middle of the track, like a mountain chain appears out of sound sea.

26. kurtz/lapiNIC - she left the apartment: Retro futuristic and sad track. I can feel a kind of nostalgia about the thing that wouldn’t happen with flying machines and moon elevators. They are really the things you can be sad about. I liked the talking sound, like standing in front of the terminal containing all the information of the world, and it tells you its story. It’s a kind of a sad story, but you know, it’s not easy to keep every knowledge of the world.

27. m3tr1k - Mars64 - MutantBreakz9: explosive track! Deep atmosphere, trumpet sounds organic, bass humming in your chest and dissolving the outside world. There’s something implicit here. Something beyond our hearing, but still somehow perceptible. This is a mystery which lures you and leaves a subtle smell afterwards. The track is first-rate, no worse than the previous year, it also leave a track in one’s memory and a desire to listen to it again and again.

28. mios - still not home: live work! In the beginning the track reminded me of In Flames The Quiet Place. It’s interesting to watch the melody: how it spreads and develops and tells you its story. It is track about something which touched you heart but it can’t be expressed with words. Firstly you think it’s a little bit short, but then you understand that the beauty is visible for a short time and turns your notion of it upside down.

29. motherNeptune2: it’s like a signal from a distant system registered by a satellite. The signal was then interpreted into sound format. It’s spontaneous and short. Maybe it’s a beam of a supernova or a neutrino bundle we get from grand-universe. Who knows… The video is also mysterious (it really lacks sound). I think it could be a great boomerang gif.

30. JTPE – Mudslingage: Wow! It’s real mudnbass! I feel the track is gonna be at all the underground clubs with the most powerful stuff going on. I loved it from the first sight. Not only it is a professional performance but also an unusual drum-n-base notion. Breaks are shooting in your heand and leave you with phantom beat swinging you head and nerve endings. It is dangerous stuff. If you encounter it in a darkened corner, it will be hard to come back unhurt.

31. Ester - SidAM 3 – 4: Powerful stuff! Your breaks are like a bursting shell. You have nothing yours after you meet them. Sound background matches to the winter mood; it’s a little bit sad but the spring will come soon anyway. I’ve got this light feeling after the track and I hope the winter will swoop as fast as the track composition does.

32. Rægæ System - Fill With What: Воу! The track uses its space to the maximum. Vocal is top! There is a great idea and a great realization. Beat thumps its tune and nothing can stop it. Breaks are raining like sand through the fingers. The keys leave some patterns which are difficult to grasp: they are disappearing in the smoke of echo and delay. Congratulations with awesome track!

33. Crash Noise Division - Must Sleep In Tub: it’s like a lingering charge of clean electric energy swooping through your body! It moves you forward, sweeps down, has a breath, holds it and releases ions of electrified dust in the shape of white smoke into the atmosphere. Unexpected track which brings you into a journey on an electric kite.

34. redpanda13 – Someone`s here: A funny and strange story happened to me. I couldn’t express it with the words, so I tried to express it in my track. It all started at the point when I decided to make a dub riddim. In half an hour all I got was a hip hop beat with industrial texture layer. There was a loop I thought I would never be able to get out of. It was a foggy October. Then I came to some Eastern motives which felt surprisingly organic in the track. I didn’t know where they came from. Then I stopped for some time, fearing that you wouldn’t be able to develop the track. So was it until I saw Mutant Break actively going on the forum! I was excited, but there were only 2 weeks till the deadline. I loved the topic – an unfurnished room, an experiment field. I decided to find an empty room and record some instruments for the track. Somewhere near there was a half-constructed abandoned hotel: downed fence, barbed wire downtrodden into the mud. I took a guitar, a singing bowl, a pipe and a tambourine and went to record the session. It was a gloomy day on the verge of winter and I had a feeling I was being watched. WTF, I thought, it’s just a stupid feeling. But it grew larger and larger. I calmed myself down by saying it’s always like that before the session. The ravens and crows were croaking madly. I finally found a suitable room and started recording. But the feeling didn’t disappear. I wasn’t alone. Somebody was here…

So that’s how the track was made. Maybe it’s about something you don’t really think about, but it always follows you, like a shadow, nudging you to the steep, half a step and you will fall down. It’s interlacing of drums and humming which fills the night, of texture fog and the voice of a distant forefather, breaking to you through the information realm of frozen technical progress switched to the mode of total destruction.

My vote:

1. Glixxando - The Downstairs.

2. mios - still not home.

3. Geteon - Affordable Housing.

It was really hard decision. So much awesome music in this contest! Thanks to all participants and of course special thanks to organizers. Good luck to everyone!

My vote : )

sodiufas - Nightwanker

Fantastic rythmics and FX. Spatial and worked track

Komu - Freedom

Very good melody ! i love

midierror - Agoraphobia

Dark ambiance, good sounds and apic rythmic

Overall this Mutant Breaks collection has a Ghost in the Shell soundtrack vibe to it,

but maybe that’s also my reserved eagerness to see the movie influencing

how I’m listening to this years Mutant Breaks. Good times.

Vaeprism - Unfurnished Mutant [Mutant Breaks #9]

EatMe — EatMe - It’s Hot In Here

Hanz Meyzer Lab — Never Stop Moving On

Work has been a little nutty this week, but definitely going to give everything a thorough listen and then post reviews. Just looking through the posts, we got a great response this year!

I like Mutant Breaks for the same reason I like a good OC Remix album: absolutely ridiculous variety of style, yet sharing a common goal.

1. Vaeprism- Unfurnished Mutant : … In the end I wanted the track to take me back to the first room, but it didn’t happen.

Initially the time in the first room was far longer by atleast a minute or so :wink: I wanted to have more of a gradual ease into things but I had lots of troubles with room ambiences creating an annoying hiss at a frequency that killed the mood. I tried lots of things, reverb, eq etc to no avail :frowning: and therefore scrapped it and started again. P.s your track is awesome!

Finishing up reviews etc. will post soon.

The last part, the end of my coms

This has been friendly done to leave external words on your tracks. This is not done in a special professional plan.

This is what I give, this is what you get !

1. Stailer — New City New Life

I discoverded your new track here. You get used to present swinging music.

Rhytm & electronic wave sounds. I gets me delighted.

1. Ester — SidAM 3 - 4

Dubstep welcomes ambiant part sometimes.

By the way, who’s this amazing drummer working faster than anyone. Exiting.

1. Daemonarmada — roy orbison in dreams

Open door’s lead to a this heavy field of sounds. The game installed bitween the 2 main instruments slightly paint the dream you’re talking about.

1. Glixxando — the downstairs

You deaden the drum to make it softer, witch not deaden the mind, attentiveness is easier.

Electronic and electric sounds entertain your comp.

1. Matt DeMoss — Expansion Port

Ah, fun and amusement console music will help me to finish the job. Thank you so much for this score.

Princess and heroes are about to dance.

1. Burital — Robochip (Mutant Breaks #9)

Cypress hill meet the chemical brothers, equalized by this strong and powerfull robotic bass.

1. Mugmouth — V9

We are know going down in a voluminous cave to meet an exiting track. Speed, acid and technoïd

1. Crash Noise Division — Must Sleep In Tub

Music is feeling, sensation, message, language, and mimesis too as it express dynamic and active relation with a leaving reality. Just read and listen this one.

1. Geteon — Affordable Housing

We are the next gen, the seed of an abandonware, the energy of the future, left in a box.

1. TheBellows — Refurnish

Amplifier will reveal the intrinsic merit of the song. Long track, equilibrated. You used a lot of Various technics, the ingredient for public satisfaction

1. Vaeprism — Unfurnished Mutant

Experimental music is a personnal expression of an artist, his distorded creation with or without target.

This one is strongly mechanical. We stay focus all along, expecting virtuality to struggle with the unknown

1. THE ORDEN OF ELECTRO — Side A

Synth, percussion, loop, arrangement.

An immaterial unity with the sector itself. Only 2 sides ?

After this point here (.) you could understand that it is my end of the line. Thank yu.

My votes go to… :drummer:

Jackie

Michal 79

Abissus

Hi All.

I am “Michal79” an “mios” Too, but don’t worry, because not schizophrenic:) (don’t speak English)

my vote:

Raegae System - Fill With What (tangled story, that his tension and interestingraegae-drumm-bass sound verygripped my attention)

Hanz Meyer Lab - Never Stop Moving On (very interesting sound combination tinged with nice tangential brass bass)

chunter - This is Your Home Now (vague sense of varied moods, leisure rhythms and tasteful sound)

Have a nice times

M./m. :walkman:

1. RedPanda13 — Somebody`s Here
    I like how the listener is led into an environment straight away. It ushers in a brooding, dynamic and subtly fluctuating journey.
    It also seems a lot of care has been taken to really sculpt the journey, particularly with so much happening, many melodies and rhythms
    jostling for position, yet there is balance.
    Consideration for sound design also makes this track. A unique and compelling interpretation.

2. kurtz/lapiNIC — She left the apartment
    Synths dominate from the start in all their glory. As the track progresses I almost feel like they are trying to speak to me.
    The phrasing even seems to complement it’s speech like qualities.
    The formant is strong in this one. :wink:

3. Msymiakos — Unfurnished Jungle (Mutant Breaks #9 competition)
    A classic sound and in such a way to be a clever interpretation by use of space. The rhythm drives it and nothing furnishes the track that is not needed.
    The composition creates an ebb and flow that capitalizes on sparsity and introduces enough melody and variation to keep the listener engaged throughout.

4. EatMe — EatMe - It’s Hot In Here
    Synth sounds bouncing from left to right create an interesting sense of space. Nice retro vibes. This sparks a bit of nostalgia for me,
    and also a sense of contemplation. Combined with a sense of simplicity, does well to address the theme.

5. mios — still not home
    Introduced by A pulsating yet subtle rhythmic sitting underneath what appears bell like (and also sounds like it also appears in the track later),
    once the bass is introduced and other elements fade in, it really gets moving. A Strong lead and acidy undertones really drive this track forward.

6. TheftOfCarbon — Security Deposit
    When hearing the choir synth I immediately though of symphonic metal and then the guitars were introduced.
    Normally I would expect vocals though I think tt works perfectly as instrumental.
    The piano is a really nice touch, I really like when this comes in, creates a nice atmosphere, favourite part of the track.
    The lead guitar adds some nice variation and ushers the track out.

7. Rægæ System — Fill With What
    Nice laid back Dub flavours with a hint of Drum n bass. The vocals inject a sense of humour and directly address the theme.
    on the whole, even with all the elements present, there is a sense of openness for me. Again reflecting the theme.

8. ghismart — Alone In The Dark
    Another unique interpretation with it’s simplicity and sparseness reflecting an unfurnished space.
    Some fluctuations of a kind of controlled disorder introduce some variation.
    The vocal also going further to discuss renoise and inject a little melody over the top and round it out.

9. Hanz Meyzer Lab — Never Stop Moving On
    Retro synth nostalgia for me and yet current. Very individual sound with many layers all given their own space and allowed to breathe.
    I get a sense of optimism from this track too. It moves and flows well from start to finish.

10. Uilo ( W lo W ) — Alternate
    Ambience and subtle panning create mood and space. The variations in subtleties and faint distant echoes really creates a sense of depth,
    atmosphere and environment much like the theme.

11. Komu — Freedom
    For some reason I really get the summer vibes on this one. The track builds well, the vocal like sounds creating a nice melodic undertone
    and I think the guitar is also a nice touch.

12. basicmethods — 2016 Mb9 Master
    Nice chill vibes, clean production and easily at home as a club track. There is a simplicity and space created that i think in a way
    reflects the idea of an unfurnished apartment.

13. m3tr1k — Mars64 - MutantBreakz9
    The horns play a strong role in this track for me. Really creates atmosphere. There is a lot of space for the elements to breathe
    and that combined with the panning bass sound gives a nice sense of environment.

14. acodreon — Acodreon - Empty Room
    Some great atmospheric experimentation on this track. Really interesting sound design. Disjointed beats that almost feel as if
    they are creating their own time yet are cohesive. A flurry of sounds sit atop a distant piano eliciting a unique sense of space
    and I am there.

15. ImmortalFlux — ImmortalFlux - Laughing at the Thunder
    There is a pleasant simplicity to this track. The initial laughter becomes more of a rhythmic element and as it progresses,
    some subtle melodies make themselves known to round it out.

16. _jackie — The Decorator (Mutant Breaks #9 Contest Entry)
    Interesting and engaging track. Lots of atmosphere and groove as well. I think of future bass vibes yet I would not say this is
    typical of the genre. Selective breaks in rhythm open the track up and it progresses nicely. Creative sound design too.

17. sodiufas — Nightwanker.
    Very Dynamic. layers that appear to blend seamlessly yet have their own space. Midway the track seems to get stripped back,
    yet there is still much going on. There is plenty of movement and variation contrasted with a melody that is present throughout.
    Clever design.

18. midierror — Agoraphobia
    A brooding and dark journey. Nice synth sound that really cuts through and draws me in.
    Distant echoes create depth and a variety of elements that could quite easily be out of place are sculpted in such a way,
    they all have their place and create a nice level of dynamics.

19. user3315860525 — Room Listener
    Such a rich tapestry dripping with atmosphere. Very skillful construction and immense sonic exploration.
    Clever use of space contrasting with controlled chaos. Sound Design is phenomenal.

20. JTPE — Mudslingage
    Some creative processing and experimentation on the rhythms express an interesting variety of sound.
    yet amidst such pandemonium there is a strange coherence. A deep bass still finds it’s way to poke
    through and some subtle atmospheric sounds do well to fill out the track.

21. Stailer — New City New Life
    Opening with a cinematic introduction and then into a steady rhythm painted with some lush synths and arpeggios.
    This track evokes feelings of optimism and nostalgia for me, which is reflected to some degree in the title.

22. Ester — SidAM 3 - 4
    A nice intro, somewhat experimental and almost as if the sounds were speaking gives way to some well crafted drill.
    The melody, initially quite simple develops over the course of the track, though is no too dominant allowing the rhythm room.
    At approximately the half way point, the next development in melody really opens the track up. Vocal sounds drift in and out
    yet the driving rhythm still has room to breathe.

23. daemonarmada — roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix
    A dark and moody piano sets the tone and then seamlessly melts into guitar and the song opens up. The vocal treatment seems to elicit emotion
    and play an interesting role in the track. The guitar develops further in, echoing the main melody and an interesting drift
    between guitar and piano occurs towards the songs conclusion.

24. glixxando — the downstairs
    A little restraint and some clever subtleties give this track a lot of space. The subtle shift in the clarity of the rhythm
    as the track builds is one of the elements that really help it to move forward. The strings lift it yet are still are relatively distant.
    A clever use of dynamics and a really nice sense of atmosphere.

25. Matt DeMoss — Expansion Port
    All the chip tune glory! I like how the melody progresses throughout the track keeping me engaged from start to finish.
    The apartment may be unfurnished, though there is indeed room for a nice retro gaming console.

26. Burital — Burital - Robochip (Mutant Breaks #9)
    Stabbing gritty synths chip their way through the sound field and percussion rise to a steady rhythm with some interesting sonic fluctuations.
    A verse of So What’cha Want and we are taken to the place the title suggests. Moar retro nostalgia! Just before the next beasties there is a rockin
    little chip rhythm and the robotic outro completes it.

27. Mugmouth — V9
    Cinematic introduction. Expansive sound design. Soooo much atmosphere and the percussion. So dynamic. Really impressive
    and that acidy goodness kicks in. And it morphs and becomes fuller from a steady rising sonic onslaught from all sides
    and it’s peak flutters away into the distance. Epic.

28. Crash Noise Division — Must Sleep In Tub
    Deep bass swirling and distant percussion and big cinematic drums and a hypnotic fleeting drone and breathe. great atmosphere.
    Easily translate for film. Big sound. It also feels like a narrative to the brief in a way, like a sonic story telling.
    Nice interpretation.

29. Geteon — Affordable Housing
    Retrooooo!! Raw onslaught. Crushed controlled chaos with a deep driving squelchy bass. The sound is masterfully large with such
    a sonic palette as this lofi awesomeness.Nice underlying melody too.

30. TheBellows — The Bellows - Refurnish (Mutant Braks #9)
    big upbeat drums usher in a really expansive journey or more like an epic quest off to far away and distant lands.
    This track really does well to elicit more of a sense of a living organism or something not static, always changing yet clear
    Identifiable and cohesive.

31. THE ORDEN OF ELECTRO — Side A
    Subtle distant melodies accompanies by subtle percussion before the beat drops. really nice vibes and some softly swirling synths
    and everything feels as if its breathing and morphing until it morphs till it is but gone.

32. Vaeprism - unfurnished mutant

part one of my process i recounted here https://forum.renoise.com/t/mutant-breaks-9/46897

I will post the 2nd half as soon as I can.

My intention at first was to create a space and reached for samples of room ambience refrigerator hums, draws sliding, doors creaking etc. Once i had my palette of organic sounds

I could then develop the synthetic. The union of these two is something I am very sonically interested in. So grateful for all your encouraging, thoughtful and expressive words. As much as I want them stickers haha, I feel like I’ve already won. this is a sick comp guys, everyone should be proud with what they have achieved, I am so happy to just be on the playlist :slight_smile:

I could have quite easily chosen more than three. So many standouts and creative interpretations of the theme. Great job everybody!

My vote:

user3315860525 — Room Listener
Mugmouth — V9
Acodreon - Empty Room

Hi,

Hanz Meyer Lab - Never Stop Moving On

Sodiufas - Nightwanker.

Mugmouth — V9

00.1 - roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix
Haha, wtf? A Roy Orbinson remix in Mutant Breaks? Haha, i really must hear this, what an excellent idea!

A very nice piece, i dig it! Reminds me more of Swans than Roy Orbison, really clever sampling and arrangements.

Abissus - Vaeprism - Unfurnished_Mutant
Great sounds and atmosphere! I don’t know what else to say, awesome!

BasicMethods - 2016_mb9
Nice production!

Burital - Robochip
I like the crispy sound of this robotic breakbeat chiptune with some Beastie Boys twists.

Carbonthief - securitydeposit
I really dig this! Reminds me a bit of some old Samael, all the right elements to set the mood for some real gothic doom. It took a few seconds to adapt to the sound, but when i was first caught in it all made sense. I liked very much that everything sounds very tight and yet loose enough to not sound mechanical. Much better than what is usually presented as “Metal” these days, your track brings me back to the early nineties when i would probably have bought your album.

chunter - This is Your Home Now
Fun and quirky.

crash_noise_division - must_sleep_in_tub
Dark and doomish, i like it a lot, but i kinda hoped for something more to happen.

danoise - glixxando - the downstairs
I find this very relaxing and pleasing to my ears, like lube on the malleus.

Djeroek - JTPE - Mudslingage
Limping off a bit in the start, but soon throws you into a world of crazy beats and phat bass grooves.

EatMe_-_its_hot_in_here
Warm and nice sound.

Ester - SidAM 3-4
Insanity entangled in beautiful melodies. This is what MB is all about to me!

ffx - Hanz Meyzer - Never Stop Moving On
Sounds like the eighities in a modern packgage. Warm and beautiful synth sounds.

Geteon - Affordable Housing
Eaily wiped off the lube i got from danoise on my malleus, this is LOUD! Crazy stuff, should definately wake you up in the morning.

Jackie - The Decorator (MB#9)
I feel like i’m on a space station fighting aliens with my kick drum. Nice work!

JBL - MotherNeptune
Nice sounds and atmosphere.

Komu - Freedom
Nice and vibes and good production.

KURTZ - lapiNIC - she left the apartment
Is it the easyformants we hear here? You’re alredy famous for your formants and you make a very well use of it here.

Mars64 - MutantBreakz9
Nice and smooth beats, sounds relaxing the same time as it has acertain drive.

Matt D - Expansion Port
Nice chiptune that brings me back to the old C64 days.

Michal79 - still not home
Nice build up and good feel vibes.

midi error - agoraphobia
I love the subtle noise that sets the mood for this track, it glides smoothly between the beats.

Msymiakos - Unfurnished Jungle
It’s so nice when those low booms kicks in, nice and well produced D’n’B.

powieff - acodreon - empty room
I really like this with its akward and strange vibes.

Raegae - FillWithWhat
Haha, funny stuff. Nice beats and fun vocals.

Redman - v9 [Heros End] Render 2
Aliens on acid!

redpanda13 - Somebody`s Here [MB#9] by redpanda13
Once i got inside the pyramid and started communicating with the outer sivilizations through the stargate, i loaded this track…no wait it was the other way around.

sodiufas - Nightwanker
Silly tiltle, but i very much like the fluctuating synths and nice beat glitches.

sokoban - Alone In The Dark
Nice drive on the bass and drums with some really weird vocals.

stailer - New City New Life
Nice intro and build up.

The Bellows - Refurnish - Mutant Breaks #9
Why do this guy just keep on adding more and more melodies and rythms and shit?

TwoThreeZero - Room Listener
Very nice sound design, gives a really nice tingle with a pleasant release on each hit. Top notch production!

uilome1 - Alternate
Very pleasant and nice to listen to after a heavy session of MB listening/reviewing.

YURY KVASHA - the orden of electro - side a
A nice varatian of elements and strong production.

To choose 3 from all these was nat an easy task, but i base my choices only on my feeling right now. Yesterday or tomorrow i would probably have chosen differently.
TwoThreeZero - Room Listener
powieff - acodreon - empty room
Ester - SidAM 3-4

Hi folks! Honestly, it’s hard choosing just 3 tracks. But here you go.

1: Matt D - Expansion Port
2: 00.1 - roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix
3: JBL - MotherNeptune

I can’t procrastinate any longer! I might still write short reviews of each, but probably not in time for points. Here’s my vote:

• Komu - Freedom
  • sodiufas - Nightwanker.

chunter - This is Your Home Now

*31.Vaeprism — Unfurnished Mutant: YES. Jesus christ this is some next level stuff. If this song was a room I’d lock myself in and never leave. Sound design bliss. Perfectly paced with a beautiful long intro before subjecting me to all sorts of audio abuse. That bassline is fucking FILTHY. I’d need to have a shower if there was any running water in this grimy cell. I actually don’t even know what else to say about this track because it does everything of its own accord. Phenomenal…

You do me great honour. So encouraging, thankyou so much. It truly means a lot. It can feel a little like a ship alone at the sea at night and hearing something like this really builds confidence and tells me I am on the right path. I must return the favour as in all honesty, not only was your track a standout, it helped me to discover your music and it resonates with me too. master of yr craft :wink:

*21. Stailer — New City New Life: More cyberpunk nutrition for my hungry ears. Fat buzzing arps and thick pads sandwich a wonderful lead. This is the music playing during end credits for a space opera SNES game, making me want to immediately start NewGame+ and do it all again. My planet needs me.

• Stailer - Almost an instant favourite! Rich, lush textures - got that cinematic quality…I’m enjoying the Synthwave elements. Yeah, I like it.

Thank you TwoThreeZero andmidierror

No votebut I’m happy that my track is in your favorites :slight_smile: