Mutant Breaks #9

Waiting for votes byRaegae, Mars64, JBL, Djeroek, chunter, and Carbonthief.

Deadline is today-ish.

Matt D - Yeah some chiptunage! Whats that complex chord progression? Sounds like its almost medievil!

I put Roman numeral notation in the pattern sequencer. Thinking about it in those terms and using V->I a lot probably causes the baroque or medieval feel.

For what itā€™s worth I wrote some stuff down, listening on first impression a while ago with a cold, ears full of snot, so excuse my taste descriptions if theyā€™re too harsh :wink: . The entries with an exclamation mark in front caught my ears the best, votes on the bottom of the postt;

RedPanda13 ā€” Somebody`s Here ; dubby rhythms & bass, I like that voicy synth. I wouldnā€™t mind a more distinct, punchier snare cutting through the mix. Maybe turn down some of the synths / make the bass even deeper if this would ever get retouched?

kurtz/lapiNIC ā€” She left the apartment ; Fun quick voicy formant workout, thought it was all a bit loud in the mid freq regions, maybe it is the snot in my earsā€¦, definitely not bad though.

! Msymiakos ā€” Unfurnished Jungle (Mutant Breaks #9 competition); Iā€™m a total sucker for oldschool jungle vibes, think & amen nostalgiaā€¦this will definitely get a vote for taking me back to days of teenage angst :slight_smile: .

! EatMe ā€” EatMe - Itā€™s Hot In Here; Pleasant, warm 80ā€™s vibes. Bit long & sparse layer wise, sounds like it could be a good instrumental for vocal work, some instrument soloā€™ing. Liking the melodic progression half way through, nice.

! mios ā€” still not home; great amen, survival melody combination. Wished it resolved differently near the end, the epicā€™ness to continue on longer. Beginning & end portions sound a bit disjointed with the middle part imo, but that doesnā€™t stop it getting a vote B).

TheftOfCarbon ā€” Security Deposit; in general not my cup of tea styleā€™wise :guitar:, can respect the effort, variation in arrangement, narrative-like use of melody.

! RƦgƦ System ā€” Fill With What; lols abound, enjoyable take on this years theme. Humor & bass. Extra kudos for laying down vocals on top of an amens rinseout

ghismart ā€” Alone In The Dark; drummer.gif d&b&footwork! Hah that juky switch had me smiling, than back to the D&B & lofi vocals.

! Hanz Meyzer Lab ā€” Never Stop Moving On; is the first time ffx posted something other than feature requests. nagging or bug reports on the forum :wink: Love those detuned synth sounds, arrangement & synth work in general. Wouldnā€™t mind a more upfront driving bass if thisā€™ll ever get revisited?

Uilo ( W lo W ) ā€” Alternate; has a random feel to it with all the short, pointy, events, wouldnā€™t mind the bits & blobs gradually moving into something more prolonged, like increasing the decay :wink: .

! Komu ā€” Freedom; poppy, pleasant D&B, a bit save maybe?

! basicmethods ā€” 2016 Mb9 Master; effective house, had me body moving, nodding the head. Liking those detuned synth bleeps after the 3 minute mark, good job.

! m3tr1k ā€” Mars64 - MutantBreakz9; smooth jazzy d&b vibes. Great bass being introduced, wouldnā€™t mind punchier, louder, (less dry) breaks in this myself :). But overall good stuff.

acodreon ā€” Acodreon - Empty Room; fits the experimental bill for sure, disorientating & relaxing at the same time. Drunk & stoned?

! ImmortalFlux ā€” ImmortalFlux - Laughing at the Thunder; simple yet effective, spacious, quality mix of the elements being used.

! _jackie ā€” The Decorator (Mutant Breaks #9 Contest Entry); good bass music, not a big fan of that dubsteppy flavored ā€˜currentā€™ sound, but this is quality no doubt.

! sodiufas ā€” Nightwanker.; Smooth, lovely reverb drenched synthsounds, proper sense of space in this one. Excellent.

midierror ā€” Agoraphobia; Cinematicā€¦though perhaps through contrast with listening to the previous tracks, this sounds a bit thin to my ears. Some kind of stereo widening and/or exciter abuse going on?

! user3315860525 ā€” Room Listener; atmospheric virtuoze crunchy sounddesign based imdz (with the obligatory sporadic reverb bursts in-between ;-)). I like that growly bass coming in halfway through. Wouldnā€™t mind a shorter version with it being introduced earlier.

JTPE ā€” Mudslingage; Iā€™m pretty sure was made with a fever & rushed :P.

Stailer ā€” New City New Life; chiptune 80ā€™s synthpop? Too loud for my ears to enjoy atm.

Ester ā€” SidAM 3 - 4; Short breakcore nugget, itā€™s got all the elements downpacked, maybe some deep subs for a future rendition can be added?

daemonarmada ā€” roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix; weird mix of electronica and vocals, strangely captivating. I like the piano soloā€™ing cuts

! glixxando ā€” the downstairs; I like the mix of the idm flavor synthetic sounds with that main, oldschool sounding pad. Somehow gives me a WW2, last century kinda vibe, must be the sniper elite game Iā€™m playing at the moment, or it occupying that bandpassed, gramophone frequency range?

Matt DeMoss ā€” Expansion Port; mutant breaks canā€™t happen without at least one proper chiptune entry, classic vibes :slight_smile:

Burital ā€” Burital - Robochip (Mutant Breaks #9); Funky chiptune inspired breakbeat track, that delayed synth stab is a tad too loud & the beasties vocs to low volume wise imo. Fun tune though.

Mugmouth ā€” V9; experimental atmospheric breakcore, I like it when it picks up halfway through with the squelching.

Crash Noise Division ā€” Must Sleep In Tub; Nice sense of space, percussion sounds used with moskito synth creeping in. Solid.

Geteon ā€” Affordable Housing; moar chipnbass, harsh sounds, abrasive at first, kinda like the fmā€™y distortion folding rhythms & bass.

TheBellows ā€” The Bellows - Refurnish (Mutant Braks #9); strange glitchy houseā€™nbass, all over the place, weird transitions, lots of ideas, complex. As a whole it feels a bit disorienting to me, some nice moments though worth focusing on.

! Vaeprism ā€” Unfurnished Mutant [Mutant Breaks #9]; Outstanding sounddesign piece, + rendered plugin abuse going on in this. Like it best when the glitchy beats come in, gradually moving into more abstract autechre flavors.

THE ORDEN OF ELECTRO ā€” Side A; peculiar freeform glitch style, I like the melodic switch-up & hiphop beats, some of the juxtapositions throw me off thoughā€¦

Excellent turnout in general, hard to pick out 3 from the ones I like best, but my votes go to;

1; Msymiakos

2; Vaeprism

3; mios

Big ups to Conner_Bw for organizing these compoā€™s! :drummer:

ā€¦
Raegae - FillWithWhat _ tell me, you guys did this while being sober? Largely? Haha, itā€™s funny as hell. Itā€™s rare these days that a song actually can tell a straight story and be this weird at the same time.
ā€¦

Just a couple of beers, but we are on to a healthier life ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

ā€¦ votes and reviews soon ā€¦

Waiting for votes byRaegae, Mars64, JBL, Djeroek, chunter, and Carbonthief.

Deadline is today-ish.

Been looking forward to doing this today all week, digging in to it as we speak. Reviews/votes coming soon.

Well, that was fun. Iā€™ve got some comments.

Abissus - Great sound design. I really like the slow build up.

Ester - Nice idm melodies, breakcore beats. Short and sweet and very classic sounding. I like the subtle touch with the vocal synth.

ffx - Not usually my kind of vibe but I really enjoyed your track. I love the vocal synths and how you carried this for over 5 minutes.

Carbonthief - Itā€™s not the first time I hear metal in Renoise but this one stands out. I like the use of vocals.

Redman - Thatā€™s a weird world you built there. The intro is not the most accessible part but I like the hyperactive acid.

Msymiakos - Reminds me a bit of SpeaK. I really enjoy this genre and your take on it is well polished, feels good.

Sodiufas - Classic percs but the space you explore with your synths and melodies are really worth the trip.

TwoThreeZero - I love how you shaped your beat to create moments. Nice textures all over. This is the kind of music that makes me want to create visuals.

Sokoban - I love how you brought the footwork vibe in there with the down pitched clap and all the 808 while keeping DnB moments with the two step beats and hihats. Really fun track.

YURY KVASHA - Great hip hop / vaporwave? vibe. I think it would work well with a MC who isnā€™t scared of something different.

My votes.

1. TwoThreeZero
  2. Ester
  3. Sokoban
  1. motherNeptune2: itā€™s like a signal from a distant system registered by a satellite. The signal was then interpreted into sound format. Itā€™s spontaneous and short. Maybe itā€™s a beam of a supernova or a neutrino bundle we get from grand-universe. Who knowsā€¦ The video is also mysterious (it really lacks sound). I think it could be a great boomerang gif.

Thanks. I agree the video lacks sound. I intended to control the shape with midi triggers like I usually do but I ran out of time. This is more like a WIP at this point.

Also, to those who said they wish my track was longer, thanks for the motivation.

Votes:

Michal79 - still not home

The Bellows - Refurnish

redpanda13 - Somebody`s Here

00.1 - roy orbison in dreams mk6 remix

Really like the sound of what I think is barritone guitars.

Abissus - Vaeprism - Unfurnished_Mutant

Great sound design, this would go perfect with a sci fi movie.

BasicMethods - 2016_mb9

Nice clean uncluttered mix, great use of filters

Burital - Robochip

Knew I was going to like this from the first note and I heard that wicked delay. Drums sound great.

Carbonthief - securitydeposit

Just noise really, do people consider this to actually be music? Kids these days.

chunter - This is Your Home Now

Great use of vocaloid, great clean mix

crash_noise_division - must_sleep_in_tub

I love this style, simple great sounding drone with big slow epic reverby drums.

danoise - glixxando - the downstairs

I like the part at 2:30 that kind of sounds like youā€™re hearing someone watching a movie downstairs, youā€™re hearing the movieā€™s soundtrack filtered through the walls.

Djeroek - JTPE - Mudslingage

Love it, beautiful soundscape of random glitchy sounds

EatMe_-_its_hot_in_here

I made a big VLC playlist of all the tracks, and VLC does this thing where it just picks random album art for tracks sometimes? It seems to think youā€™re Marilyn Manson. This could not be more opposite of Marilyn Manson. Nice chill track, great use of pad to fill out the space without being overbearing.

Ester - SidAM 3-4

Great breakcore, exactly the kind of music I like to relax to while playing league of legends.

ffx - Hanz Meyzer - Never Stop Moving On

I really like the reverbs in this, really helped contrast the foreground sounds

Geteon - Affordable Housing

Good to see chiptune represented in here. Had a look at the .xrns, hell yeah, almost entirely single cycle.

Jackie - The Decorator (MB#9)

Really like the instrument in the interlude section at around 1:16, sounds like itā€™s on cassette tape. Overall really tight and well mixed track.

JBL - MotherNeptune

Only downside really to this track is that itā€™s so short. This would make a great atmospheric loop for a game.

Komu - Freedom.wav

Really chill, liked the sax

KURTZ - lapiNIC - she left the apartment

Holy crap, anyone that hasnā€™t already should look at the .xrns for this. A ton of work went into automating the formants on this track.

Mars64 - MutantBreakz9

Great break manipulation, nice chill classic style

Matt D - Expansion Port

Great authentic sounding chiptune track. I could be convinced this was straight out of a classic game.

Michal79 - still not home

Beautiful lofi-ish track, great melody. Sometimes Iā€™m not really sure what else to say about a track, I just really liked this one.

midi error - agoraphobia

Great atmosphere, well mixed.

Msymiakos - Unfurnished Jungle

Great track! I forgot what I was listening to and just zoned out reading reddit during this track. Really relaxing, well made.

powieff - acodreon - empty room

Sounds like a very heavy autechre influence in there, well done

Raegae - FillWithWhat

New place priorities:

1. Internet

2. INTERNET

3. I refuse to move in until the internet is working

4. Furniture

Redman - v9 [Heros End] Render 2

I like how the structure of the track progresses into something and reaches a climax. Like itā€™s telling a story.

redpanda13 - Somebody`s Here [MB#9] by redpanda13

This is great! Very dark, great atmosphere. Thereā€™s an instrument in their I strongly associate with Donkey Kong Country 3. And then I opened the .xrns to find it, holy shit thatā€™s a lot of instruments!

sodiufas - Nightwanker

Does a great job of conveying the feel of it being nighttime, nice and dark

sokoban - Alone In The Dark

So weird, love it! I had to take a look at the sliced voices in the .xrns.

stailer - New City New Life

Beautiful pads and leads

The Bellows - Refurnish

I think you were too hard on yourself about this one, itā€™s pretty damn good. Nice fast pace with a glitchy feel to it. Descends into madness halfway through.

TwoThreeZero - Room Listener

Nice dark ambient work

uilome1 - Shortcut decembre 2016 drum 130bpm

A nice atmostpheric piece that made me think of outer space

YURY KVASHA - the orden of electro - side a

For some reason this reminded me of Philip Glass

Thanks. I agree the video lacks sound. I intended to control the shape with midi triggers like I usually do but I ran out of time. This is more like a WIP at this point.

Also, to those who said they wish my track was longer, thanks for the motivation.

Well JBl, if you developed your track a bit more, Iā€™m deffenitly would vote for that. Becouse I really dig the atmo.

1. THE ORDEN OF ELECTRO ā€” Side A

Synth, percussion, loop, arrangement.

An immaterial unity with the sector itself. Only 2 sides ?

After this point here (.) you could understand that it is my end of the line. Thank yu.

GREAT review. Yes only 2 sides. This is "Side B"SoundCloud - Hear the worldā€™s sounds

Decided to work on a video for my track (post when done):

Video footage databent in hex editor and moshed in avidemux.

Everyoneā€™s tracks were absolutely fantastic. Iā€™m sorry to keep everyone waiting and Iā€™m sorry I havenā€™t had time to give detailed reviews. At the moment Iā€™m happy to have finished a track at all. Thank you all for votes and comments.

My votes are Raegae , Burital , and Msymiakos.

Sorry for late vote! I wrote a bunch of words, but when I woke up the next morning nothing made sense.

So I must leave you simply my votes:

• Sodiufas

• Abissus

• Msymiakos

fsckā€™n 'ell you peoples. all of these entries are gold.

ā€¦ trying to find time from dancing for reviewing/voting ā€¦

ā€¦ one more round listen ā€™ * ~ :smashed:~ + "

The Bellows - Refurnish

I think you were too hard on yourself about this one, itā€™s pretty damn goodā€¦

Agree. Its unique and individualism should be celebrated. itā€™s what draws people in. It is also what makes it stand out in a crowd. This is a good thing. Every one did an amazing job too! I think it to be so encouraging to get positive feedback on your creations, sometimes we can be our own worst critic when the world around sees the magic in what we do. Always allow yourself that opportunity. Itā€™s good for the soulā€¦ For as the story goes "We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.ā€™ :wink:

my Votes:
TheftOfCarbon ā€” Security Deposit that is just nice full energy
Msymiakos ā€” Unfurnished Jungle just love those jungle vibes
Mars64 ā€” MutantBreakz9 jungle got me twice this time with superb basslines

Woohoo! Everybody voted! Here are the results: (Please sanity check)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dMLThQYHFDsanWGCiAZ0b46U4jiOHhtElahDTpz29IM/edit?usp=sharing

Results in the next few daysā€¦

I think the names of the soundcloud playlist forms a nice story about of your way to your new home, and images story about what is it like in the way on there ā€¦

redpanda13 - Somebody`s Here
That melody catches me right away, makes me moved like inertia creeps from scifi future ā€¦

KURTZ - lapiNIC - she left the apartment
Huge high feelings

Msymiakos - Unfurnished Jungle
Makes me wanna dance, nice that there is no furnitures on the way in a this jungle ~ƘʰƘ~

EatMe - its_hot_in_here
Flow

mios - still not home
I like those melodies, and also a very danceable tune

Carbonthief - securitydeposit
dancing turns into raving

ā€¦

ā€¦

ŠÆƆGƆ SYSTEM - Fill With What
First i made some whack beat & bassline, 2 days break, 2 days to deadline, then on saturday I was ready to record singing and guitar that I borrowed from brother and whatever but i got migraine headache and ended up watching ā€˜lord of the ringsā€™ from the tv with ogres, medieval armies, hobbits and elves without eyes or heads or other bodyparts, U know this weird blind spot vision error in migraine. Then on sunday I just went to talk to mother who was watching tv, and told that: ā€œyou neet to rap and record these lyrics that I have prepared for you and finally feat my music with overtone singingā€, Mama:ā€œok why notā€, then we recording and with almost first take, then into finishing the track because I was running out of time, I recorded fast two chords (A and E) from guitar and dem fit accidentally the beat and bassline perfectly, mother overtone track was right in tune also accidentally, then looping building the tune 6 hours through the night to the poin that I was half sleeping and did not understand anything anymore, so then I thought that I just release it. After waking up I really did not remember how the tune sounded like, and I was bymyself also very surprised how everything got on place ina last minutes, strange good luck was following ā€¦

ghismart - Alone In The Dark
This tune makes you wanna rewind/loop many times : D , supa_Groovy_, vocals are nicely a little bit hidden into the distortion

Hanz Meyzer - Never Stop Moving On
There is something very relaxing in this tune, moving, dancing ā€¦ trying to find time from dancing for reviewing/voting ā€¦

Uilo - Hard Drive - 02 Alternate
What was left on this drive ? second alternate track, dont remember that well, good not so hurry memories

Komu - Freedom
Yeeaah !! dancing again ā€¦ on a balcony this time, smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, I see freezing dark winter ā€¦

basicmethods - 2016 Mb9
proper tekno

Mars64 - MutantBreakz9
at this point of the night I was little breakdancinā€™ & b-boyinā€™, and those basslines : O , well done !!! : D

Acodreon - Empty Room
ā€¦ i feel lot of cybernetic facehuggers hiding ina shadows, at this song I wanted to dance but insted started feeling a bit creepy/paranoiac, ina good way : D

ImmortalFlux - Laughing at the Thunder

Jackie - The Decorator
Steady beats! in this song I like a lot all of those atmospherics sounds

sodiufas - Nightwanker.
I like how the bass mutates/leads your yourney

midi error - Agoraphobia
I have feeling that people have skills in making melodies

TwoThreeZero - Room Listener
nice control of dubstepbasslines

JTPE - Mudslingage
Interesting beats that makes you boogey

Stailer - New City New Life
In this song I have the feeling that something is too loud, but it wont disturb my boogie ā€¦

Ester - SidAM 3-4
Nice chopping

ā€¦

Thank you everybody for this competition. It was fun. Also I would like to thank for kind reviews, that mean a lot to me. Good luck everybody at random pick.