Mute Track Profiles

yes, this could be very convenient.
but should it apply to both “off” (*) and “muted” (shift *) tracks?
i’d like that, as i often have a hassle with muting/unmuting stuff when working with energyXT (“offing” the track does not cut it, so i have to “mute” it)

anyway, you got my +1 ;)

+1

Great idea! Grouping tracks in profiles makes the workflow much more comfortable.

^_^

ah yes… the most time I was using mute-mode, thats why I’ve only mentioned mute-modes… but you are right!
it should apply to both, muted and off’ed tracks. even setups where both modes are mixed.

the profiles/presets I was thinking about are just save-states of all the current muted and/or off’ed tracks.

Excellent idea! Maybe a muting profile plugin where you can create this quickly and then just on or off profile numbers. :)

Already possible:Pattern Matrix?
Simply duplicate your sequence positions and then mute different tracks in the matrix, you then have a slew of A/B/C/D/Etc compare sequence positions.

I know what you mean, but that’s not nearly as comfortable as saving the mute/off states to profiles. f.i. in the pattern matrix you have to clone (already means edit/change something of your song). that is of the same circumstance like adding send-devices to all tracks to build a workaround. well, it’s not that much work, but it could be even better/faster.

It should be for quick-listening purposes/comparisons only, not for song edits or arrangements. Therefor a really fast and lazy solution would be more appreciated.

A job for track grouping in general (colors, shared FX, volume and more) not just to be able to mute/unmute a batch of tracks?

Actually yes, just to be able to mute/unmute a couple of tracks - and switch between those sets in a fast and lazy way.
But that was just my first idea, so maybe there are other ways to combine a feature like that with track grouping in general. I think that depends on how track grouping will turn out, whether it allows us to quickly switch such sets or not.

My idea of Mute Track Profiles in a Picture as it says more than thousand words:

Hmm. I can imagine that could be really useful.
something like a Meta Device which allows us to save some global mute/off states from the tracks so one can switch between the saved presets with automation, effect commands etc.

big but:
thats a completely different thing because with that you can change the way you write tracks. This feature would not just be for listening purposes as I imagined with the “Mute Track Profiles” (see picture above!).

But I totally agree with you that this would also be a really cool feature! Maybe we should keep this in mind.

This would be great for live set-ups having different ,mute/off presets. +1

This would be brilliant. And given that most Renoise users are keyboard-ninja anyway, it’s another opportunity for Renoise to shine amongst all the predominantly mouse-driven DAWs out there that people use for live performances.

As djnick suggests, being able to quickly snapshot these is essential. Maybe a certain number of profile slots and ALSO a more temporary, ‘live’ profile slot. I haven’t really thought this through fully…

Anyway, +100.

Ahh agree. This would be great for composing music but not for live acts. Image above is something really very very cool for live play! :)

+1
(btw I like the way Reaper handles track grouping)

that’s the point. originally I thought about listening and comparison purposes only, but it would also excellently fit in for live performances. and the way you thought of it, it would push the whole idea to another level, which could be even more impressive, but at the same time it wouldn’t be just a tiny thing to implement in renoise (i guess)…

Since you are suggesting a feature which would have to be implemented in the next version, you might as well consider if it’s possible to realize this “mute-track profile tool” using scripting?

Click to view contents

It’s entirely possible

well, now to push a strongly demanded feature: renoise 2.6 beta with scripting is out…
Are there any elite geeks around who can script a thing like this?

That should not only be possible, a rudimentary version could be kinda easy?

1 2 3 4 5 6  
setup 1 [x] [x] [x] [] [] []   
setup 2 [] [] [] [x] [x] [x]   
setup 3 [x] [x] [] [x] [x] []   
setup 4 [] [] [x] [] [] [x]   

Of course the shizzle would be to save those setups along with the song (no idea if that is possible though). And dynamically adding and deleting presets, instead of having a fixed number of them.

I’d say “I’ll do it”, but I have a bit much on my plate right now, sorry ^^

And even then I would only make something basic, while I think this while idea has a lot more potential… what about send setups, for example? Enabling and disabling devices? Good luck with the GUI! :lol:

But from a scripting point of view it’s certainly doable, it’s just work.

Well, i’m currently developing a mixer snapshot tool and i’ll make an option for you to save track mute states too, easy to add. Consider it done. ;)

awesome :dribble:

Look here for a first version to try out: