My Likes And Dont Likes Of Renoise 2

If you guys insist of leaving all of these buttons here, perhaps maybe just move them so that they will not be in the middle?

Like this (Option E)?

Or better - this (Option F)?

You know, many apps have an “Advanced” section in the Preferences dialog, where you can check and uncheck all sorts of obscure settings that do not necessarily appeal to everybody. If Renoise had such an area, all of these settings could have been placed there (i.e. checkbox to hide these buttons, checkbox to load last song etc.)

I still like option C the best. But I would take it without bright purple buttons plz, kthx. :D

Option C Option F with swapped +/- buttons would be cool.
Edit: Must have been idling for some time, because I didn’t see the F option before now. And yes, it’s nitpicking.

(Option F)++

Sorry, this is utterly nonsense for me. All what was requested is a similar behaviour, which was in any version before 2 already and people got used to it. There is one difference though, in older versions an automatic height can be computed a lot simpler, since there is only a fixed amount of entries in the list. Now there is the option to have collapsed and expanded trees in that list, which makes it a little bit harder to compute automatically. Automatic height adjustment could be done a single time at opening the box, because one don’t want to have the box resizing itself on each collapse/expand action. Making it resizable in height would be a simple way to adjust the box a single time and then forget about it without having to do any computing stuff.

Yeah, option F is nice too. Maybe there should be something else useful in that column aswell to use the space more appropriately. Also +1 for +/- swap. + closer to the central.

Renoise has roughly 4000 registered users, and probably several thousand unregistered ones.

A a couple of dozen people in a forum claiming to be usability experts, me included, each with conflicting opinions need to be reminded that 3950 couldn’t be bothered to care enough to post an opinion on what is essentially useless bickering. And about half of the people who are posting opinions LIKE the buttons as they are NOW, or at least acknowledge them to be a design IMPROVEMENT.

The problem with your screenshots are

• Your color scheme offends me, you’re not winning me over with your expertise if you think an outdated 1990’s goth motif is “better” than the default

• You are only showing a small section of the screen, what does it look like with the rest of the interface? Crammed and out of place? Wrong? Bloated and unstylish?

The floating buttons make sense and they look good. I will support the check-mark in an advanced area to get rid of them (among other nitpicking) but I only support them as a compromise, secretly I don’t care and won’t be sad if it doesn’t happen. Furthermore, I respect people’s right to have an opinion on this but I don’t agree that the buttons should be changed, hence I also respect my right to have an opinion on this.

Is my opinion the right one? No. But “i need 10 pixels but haven’t explained why other than floating is yucky” vs “it’s now clear what those buttons do from a usability perspective and frankly they look better” is an endless debate.

Yeah. I wasn’t gonna say anything but that color scheme is truly out of this world. Like i’m impressed, seriously.

Since i am now ON my pills again i can be a little bit more coherent;

You’re complaining about having your sugar in cube form when you’d really like a spoonful. It’s a bullshit discussion and it doesn’t matter. There is nothing offensive to those floating buttons. Nothing like the abomination you look at every time you boot up your purple headed copy of Renoise.

If we’re on this topic and taking it seriously, i’d like to say that the contrast on x of the “clear” button for search fields is unpleasant, and that the capture nearest instrument toggle button icon has uneven margins.

I have few opinions about those buttons.

1. They look small without button outline and hard to hit, although in reality they are bigger.
  2. They are somewhat far apart.
  3. They push track comments away from track numbers which can cause SOME confusion while looking at them.

Well design F fixes all those issues apparently, not sure if this new empty border to the left is going to be very stylish…

The floating buttons right now just look a little wrong on overall robust Renoise design. There isn’t much else to explain. Renoise in overall looks like a solid machine, while those buttons look a little like flies flying above the machine. They feel a bit out of the place.

I don’t really care about it either how they finally come up either I can use them in any way.

If you want more functional debate then I can see why the buttons were made to look like this: So people would notice them easyer, as they are one of the most important things in renoise.

Option B (don’t like the buttons, they are confusing, and consuming precious space. Considering this functionality being already in the rightclick menu, I think they are superfluous)

Suva scores!!

How about Option 30 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGdOasw1jMU…feature=related

I like the original option.
+1 for the original.

i give my vote for option F

Never mind the new position of these buttons (which I personally think are a little bit worse than before but nm, as it’s important for them to stand out for newbies). What’s the real prob is that there isn’t a window to view/manipulate all the blocks/seqs that might exist (the current view only shows added sequences, not all of them). I have mentioned this before, and I would love to see it in Renoise still…