Mystery Hiss

here is the link: http://senduit.com/681d35

the ‘hiss’ or white noise or whatever comes from the right channel methinks and i dont know how to get it out…any suggestions or help on the matter? cheers.

ps: wasnt sure whether to post this here, feel free to move it if its in the wrong place. cheers.

I can see that the right channel has a weird DC offset which is different to the left channel, so it’s probably this offset which you are hearing. I didn’t hear any hiss myself, but the offset is very clear when viewing the waveform.

Can you give any more details about what went into the creation of this export? Are you applying any effects to it, for example? Was this rendered directly out of Renoise using the built-in WAV export, or did you capture the audio through your soundcard (using a “record what you hear” type of thing)?

Are you sure this DC offset is not present in the original breakbeat sample?

to ditch DC offset easily and effectively, shove a highpass filter on the track with cutoff set to the lowest value (preferably less than 20hz)

‘hiss’ would probably just be my bad description of what you guys seem to say, i.e. DC offset. and it is in the original sample. i was kind of asking about whther or not i can kinda get it out.

the high pass filter thing didnt work either.

DC offset which is uniform (ie. non-changing, an equal amount of offset applied to the whole sample) is very simple to remove. You can do this in any good sample editor such as Soundforge, Audacity, etc. Renoise also has a native DC Offset TrackDSP, but I would recommend that you simply fix the original sample itself first, rather than try to solve the problem in realtime with a TrackDSP.

Here you can see an extreme example of some bad DC offset. The right channel has been shifted away from the baseline, which creates a rather nasty sound. It’s very easy to fix this, the right channel has to be shifted back towards the baseline.

DC offset can occur when recording from a signal which has some persistent electrical interference, or “hum”, usually from a bad audio cable, a faulty ground, etc.

If the highpass didn’t work then it’s not a DC offset problem… highpassing at a low cutoff always fixes DC offset. I can hear the “hiss” I think you’re reffering to… on the right side at the begining of the inital kicks of the patterns. Did you make this loop yourself, or is it from a sample pack? If this is a loop you got from somewhere else, that “hiss” may have been intentional ;)

The weird thing with the sample download he provided is that there is some DC offset happening, but it’s only during the middle of each drum hit. The attack and tail portions of each hit are on the baseline, but the main body of each hit drifts away from the baseline.

You can see it here:

See how each drum hit drifts away from the baseline?

It’s almost like the DC offset has been gated somehow. That led me to believe that the problem is in the original sample, and what we’re seeing here is the result of chopping/re-arranging the sample via sample offset or some similar technique, creating this weird, gated effect.

@CaptainWoo:

Can you provide a download of the original, un-edited breakbeat sample? I’d be curious to take a look at it.

ill post an unchopped, unanythinged version of the loop later tonight, the sound is still there (i.e. its in the original drum sample…

cheers for the reply. i really enjoyed chopping/programming this loop but it was night so i didnt hear it. hope we can salvage it.

The sample you sent is in stereo, but there is only Mono output…
Meaning you can just convert it to Mono using the left channel only.
If you want to keep both channels (i dont see why you would), you just copy the left channel into the right and the “hiss” will dissapear.

Unfortunately you cannot do anything to save the right channel so just replace by copypaste the left or convert with the left only.

If the hiss is in the original sound, you’re screwed unless you can get your hands on a spectral gate, and find out which frequencies the hiss is sitting in… which, knowing that hiss is noise, and noise can occupy a wide spectrum, will probably end up gating quite a bit of your break.

This plugin is pretty unique and great for exactly doing this.

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32

this sounds promising. i take it there is an easy way to access the left and right channels seperately in order to do this…?

cheers for all ur help people. i like this break so i didnt wanna have to chuck it.

make the sample mono and use left only…

edit: whoops sorry this was said already =)