Network Based Renoise

maybe somebody has already made a post about this. but here i go;

what about making renoise somehow network based. the last couple of months ive been making coops with people, and the ‘send back and forward’ is somehow charming ;) but it takes time. maybe to much… So anyways, I’m picturing renoise with this network based idea. One person host, and the other person joins on IP. Naturally. Then in the progress the person that host decides when he is finnished and press somekind of button wich indicates he is finnished, so does the other user. Etc… and maybe the user that is ‘on hold’ can mute his sound, so he wouldnt be bothered. whatever. and ofcourse there is a chat activated at all time.

IF this ever happened, i would delete all my online games, and start PLAYING Renoise instead :lol: 2on2 compos anyone? :)

edit: my grammar and punctation is awfull

IT had network thingy as far as I remember.

That would quite simply rock… :blink:

This protocol would only send patterndata, and compare the files in the system, and then send files if necessary. I mean, with the amount of people with broadband these days, this should be able to function quite effectively! :)

One example: I did something with Sewen the other day, had sent my stuff, and then added some changes to it. But sending the whole file again did not make sense, so I would want to just update the patterns on HIS side.

Oh, and don’t say I can just remove the samples and send the empty RNS-file for him to refill with his samples, cos I already thought of that… :P

Just a dream… :rolleyes:

I think the file being modified shoud only rest in the host computer, and people would affect it’s content through their actions on client computers. And all changes should be applied to everyone in real time, which would mean that if someone loads up 20mb sample, it would be sent right away to everyone else. Are the connectons really fast enough for this?

If things do not change in real time, conflicts would aries when pwople are editing same song parts @ same time, or loading instruments or samples @ same slots, except if everyone are strictly restricted to modifying only their pre-defined parts of the song and instruments. That could work okay, I guess, and if you would want another person to modify your part, you should just notify the host and he could give you permissions.

Along with this could be implemented a new feature of grouping patterns, which would sure make defining clients rights in a song easier and more logical. Patterns in group could always start from number one, or at least I think it would be easier to handle this way, though that would not be totally necessary. Maybe a possibility to manage pattern groups somehow too would be a good thing.

e:typo

Yups, but is was IPX based, so it was doomed to die.
The first question i had was when there would be coming an IP based network-driver.

The answer was in the near future.
But he didn’t told me that it would not be for Impulse Tracker
:angry:

:) I actually never tried network Impulsing.

And I think sewen meant turn-based editing, which would also solve all the conflicts. Great idea. Would keep things in order.

Rounser brought this to my attention before:

Apulsoft Wormhole:
http://www.apulsoft.ch/

i think the best way to implement this would be to make it so that every pattern can only be edited by one person at a time (heads up display tells you who’s got which pattern checked out) flags appear in the sample menu next to samples when someone else changes or adds a sample and you have the option of synching the samples, which should be a background operation with a progress indicator) sounds almost like a new app. it would make sense for there to be a renoise server that proxies and caches file transfers and such.

I tried the IT network interface. it was definitely a cool idea but it was never completely developed. fun yes, practical maybe.

this would be really nice but for me useless… there are many more serious features to be implemented imho… where is my DSP effect arranger? : )))

Well, it could possibly be done now this way, although it’s rather weird, and not that recommended really :)

Install tightvnc (it’s a freeware program which lets you take controll over someone’s PC) on both machines, and run the server at one, and the client at the other. (I’ve used the software, it runs pretty ok even with modem, so with a broadband connection, there shouldn’t be too much problem). Then launch a shoutcast server at the machine which runs the tightvnc server, to send back the audio to the other machine. Of course the shoutcast server should broadcast the soundcards output (you can do this with almost any soundcard).

:o co-op tracking… with a not so small touch of lag! ;)

I definately agree on this method you mentioned. I’m not sure how much I’d use the option, but it would be pretty cool to have available if ever I was in that situation.