New Renoise versions seem strange and unfamiliar to me

ye, sunvox is actually more versatile in this regard. stuff like

[..][..][..][..][..]  
[...][...][...][...]  

and offset/displaced patterns like

[..] [..] [..] [..]  
[...][...] [...][...]  

is ez. (=

I may have to check it out! It looks a little too similar to Fruity loops though from the screenshots I just looked at.

I use sunvox a lot and I love it, so I’m well aware of it’s strengths/advantages. However, nothing mysterious has happened to renoise. You’re basically getting set in particular ways of working and uncomfortable learning something different. This isn’t a unique experience and is fairly universal, especially as people get old.

I thought the track grouping/collapsing was weird initially, but once I Iearned it, I realized how brilliant it was as a way of abstracting complexity. The pattern matrix is improving, it even has aliasing features analogus to sunvox’s. I would love modular routing, but it’s been bought up many many times before.

The thing to realize is that users always have this inflated sense of how important their particular experience is or how valuable their feature requests are. The reality is in most cases developers have thought about the design and features way more deeply than you have. With regard to features, developers have probably thought of your ideas already, or if they haven’t, it’s been suggested 100x in the forums. In most cases, features haven’t been implemented not because developers don’t think of them, but more often because it doesn’t fit with the overall design, they haven’t had time to, or it’s less valuable than other features they can spend their limited time working on.

I love Sunvox! I’m really new to Renoise, literally just bought it last week. But I can say one thing about Sunvox, one little thing that just drives me insane: you can drag and drop notes. WHY!?

If you don’t see the usage of the pattern matrix, select a few blocks, press Ctrl+Shift on your keyboard, then drag and drop your blocks : renoise will automatically create new patterns when copypasting your blocks.

If you use this feature you’ll do things faster than before.

I cannot imagine to compose something in Renoise without using it today.

Concerning sunvox, it’s a truely amazing software, compact and with a very original GUI, perfectly adapted for musicians that need to compose things while moving all the time, during travels, … Some people are inspired by the modification of the surrounding environment and they probably feel that sunvox will be their best companion.

After that nobody has to make a choice, why not using Renoise when you’re at home and Sunvox when you travel ?

everybody is free to have an opinion, for example my opinion is that this topic might be the dumbest of the year…

Yeah, pattern matrix rules. I have grown to love it myself.

I downloaded SunVox, about an hour or two ago. I thought SunVox is really nice, really cool. Has a lot of interesting ideas, but in its current state, its reminds me a little bit of Jeskola Buzz. Anyways, “I do no see how honest comparisons can be drawn with SunVox and Renoise.” Its like running over a kitten with a Boeing 747.

Whenever I ran pulseaudio over Jack (and had all my alsa-stuff being routed to Pulse), Flash would stutter and never work right. I know about the old libflashsupport for Pulseaudio, which is not being developed anymore. I didn’t know of libflashsupport-jack though. So, thanks! I’m gonna try it out.

Yes, you don’t have that large address width but your samples can be as long as you want them to be. You just put a marker and get a high resolution inside that slice. But you have to create the slice first. It’s just different workflow though.

I also forgot to mention a couple more of Renoise’s features, that are very important to me:
Sample layering. I was waiting years for that and was very happy, when it came out. So, shouldn’t be forgotten.
And being able to trigger points inside the instrument envelope. That’s pure gold.

Especially Renoise’s sampler is a killer by now. Well, different obviously a target group and Renoise is offering something for that.

Roll it up and don’t use it, no one’s forcing you.
(Your loss though)