New to Renoise - WOW

Hi All,

I couldn’t find an introduce yourself thread but wanted to thank all the people involved in putting together such a great program. I was a long time Reason user but found it too modular and it stifled creativity. Not to mention the fact that the ridiculous plug-ins ultimately made it more expensive and provided less choice. I’ve been using Renoise for a few months now.

Prior to reason I used all sorts of screen trackers and I’m glad that such an advanced tracker exists. Again, thanks.

If anyone can help me in the beginners questions forum I’d be grateful! Cheers

Punchy

Glad to see you’ve found such a powerful musical home.

​There are a few features I might like to see - open-ended modular routing of effects would be nice, for example - but the big features are all there. I’m very happy with it.

Welcome back to tracker land.

Welcome to the Renoise community! :slight_smile:

You already seem to come equipped with tracker background, so it should be a smooth ride! As for Reason, I look at it every so often, but price aside, the propriety aspect is a turn off. I can see how being “limited” can enhance creativity, but I love choice and flexibility.

Some weeks ago i was talking with a friend about the early 90’s, where we made our music with Amigas and trackers. In those days i was using an Amiga 2000 and tracker software. Mostly Oktalyzer and Octamed and some hardware synthesizers, which i sampled into the trackers. Then my friend told me, that today there’s still a tracker, that still will be further developed and even has VST support, etc. He told me abut Renoise, which i didn’t know before. I took a look at the site here and my first reaction was: “woohooo!!!” :dribble: biggrin.png

And i instantly bought it without testing it before. :slight_smile:

Today I’m 36 years old. But when i’m starting Renoise and begin making music with it, i feel set back 20 years, when i was a teenager and worked with my old trackers. :smiley:

So from now on Renoise is my new favorite music making software.

one day, every man will find his destiny !

welcome back :slight_smile:

I was a Reason user as well before switching to Renoise. I was using Reason 5, so sample support was very limited. I didn’t even know that I really wanted to make sample-based music until I discovered Renoise. Then Reason became unusable.

I, too, was a LONG time Reason user.

Switched to Renoise a couple months back with barely a glance over my shoulder since.

Parsec is a dope synth though. Probably going to need to rip some samples from that one : )

Which reminds me. I wish Renoise could do more than 12 simultaneous samples per instrument. Then, with all the modulation sets available, we could have a pretty sweet additive synth just using single cycle sines.

If you don’t like modularity, you’ll be missing out a lot in renoise - the meta devices and send devices, particularlyin an instrument(I personally can’t stand those patch cables for anything but audio I/O in reason). If you have a very tiny question formed during your renoise use, not warranting a thread, I suggest you come to the IRC http://www.renoise.com/chat

@••• H∑X • ∑Y∑ ••• : I have a hunch the sample limit will be lifted in 3.1. I’d be very happy about that, however it is important to note an important problem, when combining, around, let’s say 6 sine waves (same phase) before a non-starting-point-at-0 envelope starts working you have a transient forming in all of the samples, which causes issues, even withquick fade in activated (all samples having that enabled has a different problem, the instrument will have a certain ‘dull’ attack sound, similar at lower pitches to a natural resonance of a container, pretty unpleasant)this issue canbe and be treated with tools

Additive synths generally are sample based in their internals (as 256 sines in real-time would be problematic). Importantlythe current12-sample-per-key-per-instrument limitation applies at all times, this means that if you have a sustained sample in those 12, it will break your instrument as some sample wont play as they will be over the 12 sample limit, making a constant loopwith no real control on what samples do and do not play.The problems here are evident in this instrument, if you set them to no effects chain and play notes quickly. This can be indirectly remedied with tools though.

[sharedmedia=downloads:files:171]

I’m not hijacking the thread, just clarifying and showing what’s possible :stuck_out_tongue:

@gova: that would be fantastic if it’s lifted. I imagine it would be difficult to get the renoise engine to behave as a real, feature-rich additive synth, but still, I’d be satisfied with 32 or 64 partials to make pads and leads with.

Nice banjo!

@••• H∑X • ∑Y∑ •••I have a 16 partial tool somewhere on the forums, there are quite a few things that can be easily possible in renoise additive synthesis wise and a lot of things that possibly no additive synth plugin has yet (I’m a little low on free time for that, but I have it on my to-do list).

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5525]

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5526

the tool will only work with that instrument

Cool, man. I will check out your tool (so to speak, lol.)

Thanks! and glad to know there are other additive aficionados on here. I’ve had fun making some simple patches with 4-12 partials/waveforms and have been generally pleased with the results. It would be nice to have a full compliment of partials to play with, though!

Cheers.

Some weeks ago i was talking with a friend about the early 90’s, where we made our music with Amigas and trackers. In those days i was using an Amiga 2000 and tracker software. Mostly Oktalyzer and Octamed and some hardware synthesizers, which i sampled into the trackers. Then my friend told me, that today there’s still a tracker, that still will be further developed and even has VST support, etc. He told me abut Renoise, which i didn’t know before. I took a look at the site here and my first reaction was: “woohooo!!!” :dribble: biggrin.png

And i instantly bought it without testing it before. :slight_smile:

Today I’m 36 years old. But when i’m starting Renoise and begin making music with it, i feel set back 20 years, when i was a teenager and worked with my old trackers. :smiley:

So from now on Renoise is my new favorite music making software.

You are the man who has created T-Force Alpha plus? Amazing softsynth!

You are the man who has created T-Force Alpha plus? Amazing softsynth!

Yes, it’s my creation. Thanks.

@gova: that would be fantastic if it’s lifted. I imagine it would be difficult to get the renoise engine to behave as a real, feature-rich additive synth, but still, I’d be satisfied with 32 or 64 partials to make pads and leads with.

Nice banjo!

You can still do a lot with 12 partials, modulation sets, and effects chains… it’s pretty awesome, really.

As for the dulled attack mentioned earlier… yeah, but there’s nothing stopping you from layering your own attack (and losing one of the partials, obviously)

@pat: it doesn’t work as well as you’d want to unfortunately. To make it work, you must have the start of the samples completely silent at first and slowly and evenly gaining volume, otherwise you’ll once again will cause all the samples to make a transient

@pat: it doesn’t work as well as you’d want to unfortunately. To make it work, you must have the start of the samples completely silent at first and slowly and evenly gaining volume, otherwise you’ll once again will cause all the samples to make a transient

Can you give me an example? Because it works just fine for me :slight_smile:

Here’s what I do:

• Copy the sine wave from Factory instrument “Chip - Sine”
  • Layer it in the instrument editor, transposing each sample and setting the volume
  • Assign quick fade and/or AHDSR envelope with a bit of attack

Maybe it doesn’t work as well as you want it to? And I just don’t quite understand the scenario you’re thinking about.

@pat: hm… I don’t think that was that way in the beta, ok then. I guess what through me off is my instruments that use all 12 samples and have a slight release,causing a sudden cut, therefore click.

cool to meet an oldschool trackerist!

I’m a great fan of Renoise too, but still waiting for proper audio tracks functionality (for moving around visualized wavefiles). Until then, alas, most work is still done in another daw. Renoise mostly for basic track programming.

If you don’t like modularity, you’ll be missing out a lot in renoise - the meta devices and send devices, particularlyin an instrument(I personally can’t stand those patch cables for anything but audio I/O in reason). If you have a very tiny question formed during your renoise use, not warranting a thread, I suggest you come to the IRC http://www.renoise.com/chat

@••• H∑X • ∑Y∑ ••• : I have a hunch the sample limit will be lifted in 3.1. I’d be very happy about that, however it is important to note an important problem, when combining, around, let’s say 6 sine waves (same phase) before a non-starting-point-at-0 envelope starts working you have a transient forming in all of the samples, which causes issues, even withquick fade in activated (all samples having that enabled has a different problem, the instrument will have a certain ‘dull’ attack sound, similar at lower pitches to a natural resonance of a container, pretty unpleasant)this issue canbe and be treated with tools

Additive synths generally are sample based in their internals (as 256 sines in real-time would be problematic). Importantlythe current12-sample-per-key-per-instrument limitation applies at all times, this means that if you have a sustained sample in those 12, it will break your instrument as some sample wont play as they will be over the 12 sample limit, making a constant loopwith no real control on what samples do and do not play.The problems here are evident in this instrument, if you set them to no effects chain and play notes quickly. This can be indirectly remedied with tools though.

I’m not hijacking the thread, just clarifying and showing what’s possible :stuck_out_tongue:

When renoise 3.0 came out , I immideately pointed out the additive potential it has …and asked the developers to get rid of the 12 sample limit …HUge potential

We’re 2 years later …still hoping the potential will get unlocked.

ps…A trick I use a lot is the following …;

Create a 512 line pattern ( no data ) render to sample …

Draw in curves in therendered sample and use a ring mod set to sine in the effects section …do this 12 times …