New Tool (0.1): Renoise Simple Midi File Support

this is getting better and better and better!

Last update in this month.

Version 0.4

• redesigned tools options flow for file loading and removed Select file button.
  • added submenus to Tools - Renoise Simple Midi File Support
    • Options - opens tool options.
    • Import midi file - opens file browser.
  • added Import midi file context menu for pattern track (right click).

Updated readme

Download

strange behaviour in windows explorer:

Thanks! I do not have a Windows box to test it. It worked fine in XFCE on Linux. I have fixed this by skipping the *.mid, *.xrmid file filter. All files will be visible by default. If the file being loaded is not *.mid or *.xrmid then a status message will be show and file will not be loaded. This will be release in v0.5.

I have also tested it on some drum kits and it works fine. Added some new options for fine tuning.

2 Likes

we have a new super script-hero-tool-maker on the forums! :sunglasses:

1 Like

When will be v0.5. released ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. The code was ready but I was busy with some other stuff. I don’t have many ideas on what else could we add to this tool. Maybe import to phrases instead of only to patterns depending on which screen you are currently on. What do you think?

Version 0.5

• changed file browser to show all files instead of .mid and .xrmid to a fix an issue on Windows (thanks, Roppenzo).
  • improved the workflow for file browser to first select the file and then show Options dialog if Options - Show for each file is enabled.
  • added an option to skip note delay information (Options - Include delay = false).
  • added an option to skip note-off (OFF) events (Options - Include note-off = false).
  • added an option to correct note start or end position if delay is higher than FD (disabled by default) (Options - Correct positions = true).
  • added tooltips for options.
  • reviewed, corrected and updated readme.

Updated readme

Download

1 Like

This tool works GREAT! I use Ripchord and export the MIDI file from it, but could not use it in Renoise. With the capability of Renoise Simple Midi File Support (RSMFS), I can use my various chords from Ripchord by simply renaming the suffix to .xrmid.

One day, I hope to bypass this, and just be able to drag/drop the actual .mid file without changing the suffix. Still a way cool Tool to get the more complex chords into Renoise without typing them in. Thanks, @nil.caream!

1 Like

This is the best tool. Thank you.

1 Like

@nil.caream I do have a request for this Tool. May we have the capability of entering more than one chord in the same pattern?

If I put in one chord at the very beginning, but want to put in another chord a few steps after the first one, it simply replaces the original chord. If I’m using more than one chord in a pattern, I have to create a NEW pattern, then add the next chord. If I want them to be together, then I have to join the patterns. It’s a few extra steps that I’d love to be able to bypass. Would this be possible?

This image is how I put them in, and in this window, there is no option to keep the chords in the same pattern:

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.08.46 AM

1 Like

Thanks for feedback! @yoshino, I am glad that it works for you :+1:

@Neuro_No_Neuro What do you think about adding an extra checkbox in the configuration dialog like “Insert notes at cursor position”? This way when you move the cursor to a particular line number and note column then your midi file would be inserted at this very place instead. The whole track would not be automatically cleared in such case.

If it makes sense I could work on it this week and release within few days. Let me know.

And yes, I also wish that it all would not be needed and we could simply drag and drop midis directly into the pattern or phrases editor. Maybe one day :grin: Until then I think that we are stuck with workarounds like this tool…

4 Likes

That’s exactly what would work for me, would save a ton of time for whomever needed to place MIDI at very specific spots. Wonderful!

Hi. @Neuro_No_Neuro, can you give it a try? I literally tested it on 2 files but the change was small so it should work alright. Let me know in case of issues. Thanks!

Version 0.6

• added an option to insert notes at cursor position (Options - Insert at cursor position = true; thanks, Neuro… No Neuro).

Updated readme

Download

2 Likes

Still at work, will aim for this evening if I don’t fall asleep :smile:

Interesting! This does work; will input the MIDI chord. It has to be an imprecise ‘drag’ onto the pattern, while the cursor does need to be where it is supposed to be located. So, it works! But, it also puts in an extra note a few lines below the chord.

The chord that shows up is linked to the next instrument (in this case, a blank instrument slot), while the additional note that gets added below the chord is for the instrument the chord is intended for. This Tool ‘works’, but does leave a bit of extra tidying up that ultimately could be spent on other compositional tasks.

Hmm. Is the extra note an OFF note? If so, then you could disable these options and check if it helps: “Increase number of lines”, “Decrease number of lines” and “Include note off”. The instrument should never change though.

Can you please share the midi file you are importing? Maybe it has some midi events that this tool does not know how to handle. The use case you are describing should work without a need to tidy up anything afterwards. Let’s fix it.

Sure! I’ve been taking chords from Ripchord files, exporting their MIDI, and renaming them with ‘.xrmid’.

R&B-01 00.mid (63 Bytes)

Alright, this is indeed a note off issue. For now please disable “Include note off” and it should work fine. In the mean time I will fix it.

1 Like

Thanks @nil.caream !

Hello! I think I managed to fix all (known) “insert at cursor” issues. The readme has been updated with hints on which options to enable or disable when inserting short or single chord midi files. I hope that this version will work as expected.

Version 0.7

• fixed a note off placement on insert at cursor position.
  • fixed an issue with missing note delays on insert at cursor position.
  • added an option to maintain existing track notes instead of clearing them by default (Options - Clear existing notes = false).
  • fixed an issue with invalid number of pattern lines needed to fit all notes.

Updated readme

Download

1 Like