New Tool (2.7, 2.8): Step Sequencer

Had a bug trying to access the preferences of the tool while running a song:

Think I broke it :) , changing the preferences anyway to 32 and re-opening lauflicht creates a broken gui/missing elements and the following notice:

on windows vista, 32 bit btw.

Thanks, Jonas. Should be fixed in new beta 1.86 (link to first post)
also fixed bugs in Velocity/Panning in the controller matrix.

Thanks for the fix.

I can make Renoise crash by using your newest update and a particular song where I loop 2 patterns, but unfortunately no hints in the log / or script error notice.

As said before, with certain patterns containing a lot of data, during pattern switching from one to the other, there is a delay / visual hick up. In this song, continually looping 2 heavy patterns Renoise crashes. Maybe you/someone can replicate the crash initializing Lauflicht on heavy tracks?

Check your pm for the link to the song, cheers.

Thank you. The song did not crash Renoise for me, but there is a significant “hick up” each pattern change. As there are 127 rows in the pattern this does not really wonder. As stated above, on each pattern change the new notes have to be loaded, what requires the parsing of the pattern and do some internal tool stuff. However, it seems to be a perfomance problem when using very “heavy” songs with large patternsizes; I try to figure out at which point it hangs and how to improve it; maybe the devs can give me some hints then.

Thanks for the info, I think its best for me to use the tool fresh from the start, then to re-juggle existing songs, which often use +112 line patterns.

Well the bottleneck was not really the length of the patterns, but the heavy use of multisamples. Anyway I have tried to solve this and I think the solution made a big performance improvement on pattern change/pattern reload. Could you please try with the song which Renoise crashed? And please could you tell me how much delay you have (in pattern lines) on pattern change. I have now 6-7 pattern lines delay currently in the last two patterns.

v.1.87 for 32 bit:

• performance improvement on loading a pattern into sequencer/pattern change

Great work Cie, doesn’t crash anymore and about 10 - 12 lines of delay as far as I can tell when looping the last 2 patterns.

edit:

I think there are some issues with the control matrix, I can’t seem to record midi-mapped vst effect changes into the automation editor.

Hm, can not reproduce it, can you give some more info? What I do is:
0. Map first parameter row of controller matrix to a midi controller.

1. Add instrument automation to a track and assign e.g. cutoff to a vsti.
  2. Open controller matrix for that track and select “Instrument Automation: Cutoff” for first parameter row
  3. Moving midi controller to change values of the first parameter row: cutoff will be added to automation at given point.

Unfortnately still getting the ‘bad header’ error when trying to install 1.8.6 64 bit version on Renoise 2.8b6 64bit. :(

Gotta post again how awesome the Launchpad edition is !
After some hours of testing I can say that 1.5 runs pretty stable over here.
As long as you don’t create a 9th track by accident everything runs smooth,
when sequencing my funky drums.

Future suggestion:

Somebody already wrote, that it would be dope to adjust the default matrixcontrollers and save them as presets.

It’s hard to find the right steps on your knobcontroller hardware when you are
inside the matrix editor and want to adjust a specific controller@ a specific step.
Now, since I activate “notecolumn1>Notes” on the first matrix line,
it’s much easier to orientate and edit the controllers in line 2-xy and find the active steps easily…
Another lauflicht with the active tracksteps in the matrix section grid would do the job as well…

Hope it makes sense
Daniel

Yes, I am still working on this strange problem…

Thanks a lot! :) Very nice to hear.

Indeed. Also you could have some predefined presets like “random”, “line up”, “line down” or something like that, which generates some values for a parameter line of the matrix.
But this seems to be quite time-consuming to code, so not in the near future but with another major version increase.

Good point.
Unfortunately you can not adjust the (background-)color of a gui-controller like a value-field. So you could color every fourth value-field or so.
But yes another headline with the active tracksteps would be possible I think, at least a lauflicht-like button row with every fourth step colored (and step-nr as text).

Good News T :)

Could you please try the new beta below?

is now implemented.
It is like the original “Lauflicht” button-bar, with two additional features: Each button is labeled with the current note value of the corresponding step; each button is clickable and sets/unsets a note.

2907 188.jpg

had a bug with the newest version:

first set up some loops, triggered them in a few cells, changed the preferences to 32 and tried to trigger other cells.

Success!!!

1.88beta 64bit installed right away with no errors on 2.8b6 64bit.

Thanks! This should be fixed in the new version 1.89.

Great!!! :) Glad that this issue is fixed now.

New version (1.89):

• fixed some bugs
  • controllermode: click on big steps above matrix to set note also

32 Bit:
2951 de.cie-online.StepSequencer.xrnx

64 Bit:
2950 de.cie-online.StepSequencer.xrnx

what happend to all the tools?

try Renoise Tools | Renoise

thats funny… some hours ago i got the message page not found… well it works again, thanks a lot