New Tool (2.7, 2.8): Track Freezing

If someone could rewrite this tool to include individual pattern freezing, that would be a life saver.

For rendering a single pattern you could just use the built-in Renoise render option, but select the pattern instead of the whole song.

If you meant you want to render some select subset of patterns, then the one-off rendering would be a bit tedious and error-prone.

For rendering a single pattern you could just use the built-in Renoise render option, but select the pattern instead of the whole song.

The problem is that’s not reversable. Once you’ve rendered a pattern as a sample, you can’t “un-render” it later on, and continue editing the original pattern, at least as far as I’m aware.

The problem is that’s not reversable. Once you’ve rendered a pattern as a sample, you can’t “un-render” it later on, and continue editing the original pattern, at least as far as I’m aware.

I was thinking of render to disk, but even render to sample leaves the actual pattern untouched. I just tried it and it just makes a new entry in the instruments list.

I was thinking of render to disk, but even render to sample leaves the actual pattern untouched. I just tried it and it just makes a new entry in the instruments list.

Sorry, I went way ahead of myself. What I meant to say was that reproducing freezing via rendering is not easily reversable.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out a more elegant workflow.

Render your pattern to sample > Disable transposing on the sample, and restrict the keyzone to a single note > Place said note in your pattern > Clear the original instrument

And if you need to edit the pattern, you just load the original instrument and delete the note that triggers the sample.

It’s not as easy as pressing one click, but I guess it works.

Hey, anyone have working copy of this tool for 3.0 / 3.1?

I do not know. Have you tried the SamRender tool?

What is it that you are doing exactly?

I want to create “live” versions of tracks i have, so disabling CPU demanding VSTS. Most of the cases i could just use render to sample but in case of mono synths it is not possible, also it is hard to keep tracks automation if i automate vst.

This tool seems to do what i need to - render one track to sample, slice it and create new track.

Only one thing i would add is to filling pattern with repetive notes and adding sample offset command so i could easly change whole song tempo without losing general groove.

It doesnt looks like a big task, so i will probably end with writing it myself or using Track Freezing 2.8 version as a start.

"I want to create “live” versions of tracks i have"

There are recorder vst plugins that you can arm on your renoise tracks, save the recordings as .wavs after you’re done twiddling :slight_smile: .

Check out, for example the free; https://www.kvraudio.com/product/sound-recorder-by-anarchy-sound-software

thx but:

1. linux here :wink:
  2. Same way i can use sam renderer or renoise inside renderer with “separate tracks”.

@29a. With SamRender you can easily select a track (or a piece of it or a group with tracks) and convert it into a sample. To do this use the tabs “Matrix Sel.” and “New Instrument”.
To select an entire track, go to the matrix editor and select the track as follows:

1. Left click with the mouse on the first slot of the track.
  2. Press and hold SHIFT .
  3. Down to the last slot and left click on the last slot of the track.
  4. Release SHIFT.
  5. Finally press the Render Matrix button.

Repeat these steps for all the tracks that you need to render.

Studying this matter, I could add 2 more options inside the SamRender. Bypass button to skip the effect chain of the selected track. A checkbox to auto-capture the name of the track to rename the sample.

The final result would be a single instrument full of samples that are the audio rendering of each track, according to your selection in the matrix editor.

I also thought about adding a function that would automatically convert all tracks into samples within an instrument, each with its corresponding track name. This may revise it. It can be interesting to add it. But for now, the selection in the matrix editor of the SamRender is the best for tearing a complete song into samples, and the process, if you know how to handle it, is very fast. You can render the piece of song you want.

Regarding the introduction of the repetition of notes, the pattern editor and the matrix editor are more than enough for these operations. On the other hand, the Piano Roll Editor tool is one of the best note editors that complement Renoise. PRE is very prepared to work with repetitions of notes or blocks of notes, among many other things related to the direct edition of the notes. Soon I will publish version 3, which will bring significant improvements related to the direct edition of the notes.

If you think about disabling effect chain let it skip “vst automation”.
Ill check your tool during weekend.

good work on PRE btw, not a tool for me as i prefer keyboard (midi or pc) input but definetly great pice of tool.

Yes, I have already created this function for another tool, so it will be easy for me to add it to SamRender (a simple button to activate / deactivate the Bypass).

The Piano Roll Editor also has its own keyboard commands (you can control almost everything with the keyboard). It is also widely compatible with MIDI Input. In addition, you can even build and record / edit chords from the MIDI input with a single key or from the mouse with a single click (you can do many things just by using the mouse as well). For example, with Renoise it is impossible to enter notes with the mouse. The understanding of the melodies and the editing of the notes is much more direct with the Piano Roll Editor. It really is a very complete editor. I am testing version 3 and it is wonderful.

Renoise + Piano Roll Editor are a perfect combination!

Hey Raul, ive checked your tool and as for rendering part it works wonders ;). Now i only need to make small tool to slice rendered sample and put it in patterns.

In order to make “Freeze Track” work with latest Renoise version 3.1.1, some adjustments needed to be made in the code. A couple of years ago (in 2014) i updated the “Freeze Track” script for Renoise to be working with newer versions and sent a copy to the original author. Unfortunately the author never uploaded the updated version to the renoise.com scripting tool page and the renoise team didn’t accept my submission because i am not the original author.

The following version is working with latest Renoise 3.1.1:

https://blog.b-nm.at/2019/08/17/freeze-track-script-for-renoise-3-1-1/

5 Likes

thanks! much appreciated!

1 Like

Does not work for 3.2 for me sadly? Anything I can do to fix this?

Maybe use this instead?
https://www.renoise.com/tools/samrender

works here in 3.2 without problems. You need to update the manifest in the tool manually probably? I didn’t need to do this though, seems to have auto-updated. What doesn’t work for you, do you get an error notice?

update: discovered you need to make sure you delete the original version of the tool before installing @Frank_Baumgartner 's updated xrnx .

This is so that a new preferences file will be created; then the tool seems to work as expected.

It seems the original preferences file can contain a value: “cubic” for interpolation that fires an error in the newer version. I guess there was a change here in renoise/API.

old post

Was just looking at this myself though not properly tested. I had to change line 174 of main.lua from:

interpolation = renoise.tool().preferences.interpolation.value,

to:

interpolation = "default", (make sure you keep comma if copy-pasting)

(done in @Frank_Baumgartner 's updated xrnx a few posts up)

/////

On looking further, the interpolation value in tthe tools’ preferences file is set to cubic (by default)

interpolation, – string, one of ‘default’, ‘precise’. by default default’.

thanks for clearing that up!