New Tool (2.7 - 3.1): Set Track Width To Active Columns

Now added joules speed optimisations from earlier in the thread (thanks joule!) + small code clean-up:

[s]Attachment 3398 not found.

[/s]Edit: Latest version now on tools page

Great job, Ledger (and joules). I works about 4 times af fast now and there’s no pop-ups.

Will test more thoroughly if it produces the desired results - but it seems like it does!

Now up on tools page 1.24 (incremented due to minor code clean-up )

http://www.renoise.com/tools/set-track-to-active-columns

I’ve used this quite a lot now. It seems to work flawlesly.

Good to hear thanks!

A minor bug, I think…

1. Open Renoise
  2. Create an extra track column in Track 1.
  3. Show the panning column
  4. Insert “C-4” in first column
  5. insert “M0” in the second column’s panning column. Something like this:
C-4 00 .. .. --- M0 ..  
  1. Now use the tool

Result: the instrument number in column 1 will be cleared.

I think the tool should never hide a column if a Mx (Send MIDI command) is in it. It will properly change the way the song sounds (which you would never want when using this tool).

Thanks for the report, I have checked this and confirmed it here. It is indeed a strange one and as far as I can tell has two elements to it:

The first seems to be the buggy behaviour which I guess is a problem with the API method:

renoise.song():track(foo).visible_note_columns = bar  

3939 set track bug 1.JPG

goes to:

3940 set track bug 2.JPG

When setting the two columns to one is where the instrument number gets deleted. I will pass this onto the devs.

The second part is an update I should be able to modify myself so MIDI commands etc are respected. I`ll see what I can do.

I`ve now uploaded a new renoise 2.8 version which should take care of this. Let me know how you get on Drop Shadow.

Thanks a lot. It seems you solved the problem.

However, I just ran into a bug. Try the tool on the attached song. It will give you this error:

'C:\Users\VV\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.8.1\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.SetTrackToActiveColumns.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.  
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.  

Please contact the author (Ledger) for assistance...  

.\Process_slicer.lua:111: std::logic_error: 'invalid note_column index '12'. no note_column's are available. 0 may be allowed.'  
stack traceback:  
 [C]: in function 'error'  
 .\Process_slicer.lua:111: in function <.><br>```

<br>
Don't know what it means...</.>

[quote=“Drop Shadow, post:29, topic:31078”]
Thanks a lot. It seems you solved the problem.

However, I just ran into a bug. Try the tool on the attached song. It will give you this error:

'C:\Users\VV\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.8.1\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.SetTrackToActiveColumns.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.  
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.  

Please contact the author (Ledger) for assistance...  

.\Process_slicer.lua:111: std::logic_error: 'invalid note_column index '12'. no note_column's are available. 0 may be allowed.'  
stack traceback:  
 [C]: in function 'error'  
 .\Process_slicer.lua:111: in function <.><br>```

<br>
Don't know what it means...<br>[/quote]<br>
<br>
Sorry about the slow fix for this but I`ve had another burst of scripting and am now tidying up old loose ends in older scripts. This was a bit of a strange bug as the xrnx you posted one of the unsequenced patterns contained no columns. This may well be a bug in renoise or a corrupt file or something. I`ll look at it some more and pass it on somewhere.<br>
<br>
Anyway the script now catches it in 1.27<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.renoise.com/tools/set-track-to-active-columns">http://www.renoise.c...-active-columns</a></.>

Just spoke to taktik about this and it appears the posted song x.xrns was broken.

3.0 Version uploaded on tools page:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/set-track-to-active-columns

NEW BETA (1.3)

-New GUI

-Now optionally hides empty fx columns; with option to leave at least one if you like the visual track bordering/buffering

-Less Shortcuts + menus for tidyness

post-428-0-26891400-1421536969.png

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-3-1-set-track-width-to-active-columns/31078

Would it be possible for you to update it for 3.1? This script was really great for visual cleanup.

Try this version, seems to work for me under R3.1b (But don’t tell Ledger! :smiley: )

Oh drat, Ledger found out about my subtle modification! Well the limelight lasted a few hours I suppose :smiley:

Thanks 4Tey,

I`ve updated the original post and tools page with a newer 1.32 as I had added a small modification that makes the button read “Busy” when the tool is working for next release.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-3-1-set-track-width-to-active-columns/31078

Hi,

This tool is one of my favourite but for whatever reason it has disappeared from the Pattern context menu. It is accessible from the Tools menu however. It’s been like this for a while, maybe since the 3.0.1 update and it’s still not working in 3.1. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, disabling all other tools, but it didn’t fix the problem.

Would you have an idea as to why it disappeared? Thanks in advance.

Hi clairobscur,

As of v1.32 of the tool, when I added the GUI, I removed the pattern menu shortcuts for neatness. There is a shortcut Set Track Widths To Active Columns available so that the GUI can be called up quickly if needed:

v1.32

-New GUI

-Now optionally hides empty fx columns; with option to leave at least one if you like the visual track bordering/buffering

-Less Shortcuts + menus for tidyness

Menu : Tools: Ledger`s Scripts: Set Track Widths To Active Columns

or

Shortcut: Set Track Widths To Active Columns

Hi clairobscur,

As of v1.32 of the tool, when I added the GUI, I removed the pattern menu shortcuts for neatness. There is a shortcut Set Track Widths To Active Columns available so that the GUI can be called up quickly if needed:

I apologize for missing that piece of information. Thank you for your reply!

No problem, the info is a bit hidden away in the first post in the spoiler button (like below)

Click to view contents

!! 3x Gold coins !!