New Tool (2.7/8): Presonus Faderport Implementation

AFAIK the only way to make the Lua API respond faster than the in-built frequency is to hook it onto some external message, such as MIDI. This is so, since the MIDI is processed in the audio thread.

But, what you can do (and what I have done with my own tools) is to make the function which write pattern data have a certain “writeahead size” which will automatically adapt to the song tempo - i.e. a very slow song will write only a single line at a time but an 16 LPB song might write several lines at a time. You need to handle a lot of edge cases though, like end of patterns/song and so on, which complicate matters a lot.

It would be nice to have a generic library for this specific purpose - to make it easier to create tools that operate with realtime data.

AFAIK the only way to make the Lua API respond faster than the in-built frequency is to hook it onto some external message, such as MIDI. This is so, since the MIDI is processed in the audio thread.

But, what you can do (and what I have done with my own tools) is to make the function which write pattern data have a certain “writeahead size” which will automatically adapt to the song tempo - i.e. a very slow song will write only a single line at a time but an 16 LPB song might write several lines at a time. You need to handle a lot of edge cases though, like end of patterns/song and so on, which complicate matters a lot.

It would be nice to have a generic library for this specific purpose - to make it easier to create tools that operate with realtime data.

Thanks Danoise for the helpful hints

The “writeahead” function is an interesting suggestion. Nonetheless, as you’ve mentioned the problem are the edge cases. I’m not really keen on coding such stuff. From my past experiences it’s probably pretty error prone (?).

Maybe the more simple workaround for the problem is just to temporarily lower the LPB during recording envelopes ?

Little off topic message:

received a new FaderPort device last week which enables me to test alternative firmware updates. It’s a free gift from Presonus. They appreciate the Renoise driver development and after the years it’s finally a nice recognition from this company. And beside that: it’s the first time I ever received something for my volunteer work $-). Yes, there are paypal and flattr donate buttons, and people anounced to spend me a cup of coffee etc., but unfortunately no one never did. So:

THANKS PRESONUS ! IT’S DEFINITELY SOOTHING

Airmann, these are great news and a good move (and a overdue recognition) by presonus.

Regarding all those timing problems while live recording:

In my opinion the lua api needs observables LINE , LINEF, SEQPOS,TICK from the realtime thread! Just like available in the formula device (which runs in the realtime thread).

Is it possible only to connect those REALTIME values to the lua thread, without moving the whole thread to realtime? I guess there are solutions for this :slight_smile:

Airmann, these are great news and a good move (and a overdue recognition) by presonus.

Regarding all those timing problems while live recording:

In my opinion the lua api needs observables LINE , LINEF, SEQPOS,TICK from the realtime thread! Just like available in the formula device (which runs in the realtime thread).

Is it possible only to connect those REALTIME values to the lua thread, without moving the whole thread to realtime? I guess there are solutions for this :slight_smile:

Guess the Renoise devs intended to seperate LUA scripts from realtime access by design. IMO this makes sense, since otherwise scripts would quickly become dangerous. Nonetheless, I’d like to hear what taktik thinks about observable LINE etc.

I know about the formula device … but it seems it was only available in a 3.0 beta version ?

Ok, but for a proper working script interacting with live playing, you need a proper tick event… This would simplify script development a lot. I also not able to build a proper workaround for the faderport driver that works good on high LPB… Maybe danoise could have a look into it and a concrete idea?

The formula device is still there, but hidden (no clue why). Have a look at these helper tools:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-insert-hidden-legacy-renoise-dsp-effect/43441

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-insert-hidden-legacy-renoise-dsp-effect/43441

Small Update note:

FaderPort driver seems to work with latest Renoise 3.1 beta3, but isn’t automatically updated by Renoise.

Means: you have to open the tools faderport Folder and edit manifest.xml. Change the API version from 4 to 5 and then it should work.

BTW: I’ve moved all my projects from Google code to github lately. And I’ll release a proper 3.1 version ASAP.

Thanks to Jurek - I plan to integrate a better status line behaviour, too. And I’ll have a look at those idle handler …

Thanks to Jurek - I plan to integrate a better status line behaviour, too. And I’ll have a look at those idle handler …

Hey, I think for 3.1b4+, my patch isn’t required anymore, since taktik applied a fix to status bar lately (not 100% sure about it). Instead could you consider to leave the jump to/from send functionality integrated? It’s v1.2 from here:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-jump-to-from-send/34051

It should be inside this version:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-8-presonus-faderport-implementation/29542

Maybe taktik could leave a short statement, if his statusbar fix also could fix this heavy-calling-statusbar-message-problem via lua?

If you have a version, I can test it on Mac and then let’s decide, if the workaround is still required.

Oki, thanks for the information. I’ll have a look at those interesting jump to/from function, too :-).

I’ll push the new code/version to github server as soon as I’ve finished stuff.

Hey, I think for 3.1b4+, my patch isn’t required anymore, since taktik applied a fix to status bar lately (not 100% sure about it). Instead could you consider to leave the jump to/from send functionality integrated?

Will still be required for tools and else also doesn’t hurt.

Hey !

Do you plan on uprgrading the tool for 3.1 ? Apparently, «hold» is deprecated now

Thanks

Faderport driver already works with 3.1. What do you mean with “hold is deprecated now ?”.

What do you mean with “hold is deprecated now ?”.

I think the instrument “hold” trigger option from 3.x (which is truly deprecated in 3.1) got confused with the “virtual modifier key” in this tool.

They’re using similar terminology - but, nothing to worry about ?

Just picked up a Faderport and trying to get this tool to load without much success. I grabbed what seemed to be the latest on github and attempted to drag it into renoise and I get an error stating that it is incompatible. My renoise version is 3.1.1 built 2/6/2017.

Could someone post a link to the latest or working version?

thanks!

FaderPort driver works with latest Renoise 3.1, but isn’t automatically updated by Renoise.

Means: you have to open the tools faderport Folder and edit manifest.xml. Change the API version from 4 to 5 and then it will work as expected.

Hey airman and faderport users,

here is the fixed faderport driver version, it includes the following patches:

03-Aug-15: de.airmann.FaderPort.xrnx-03-aug-15.zip (unzip and then double click extracted xrnx)

Please report bugs. Thx.

Just got faderport this week and had some time to test it.

Original Airmann version was indeed very laggy on osx, so I tried the ffx 07 version above^.

All the lag is gone now and seems to work fine :slight_smile:

For someone else new to this and wondering why does not automation work for volume or filter cutoff (2 things to try first and get frustrated)

• You can’t automate track post volume in renoise, so hitting output button will control pre volume, which you can automate

• Bindings are done for devices in older version of renoise so you need to add something like:

<dsp_binding>Analog Filter</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>2</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>3</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>5</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>1</dsp_binding>

<dsp_binding>-1</dsp_binding>

for new devices like Analog Filter in config.xml

Thanks a lot! Brings some hands-on for automation I’ve been looking for long time. :slight_smile:

Hey aksn, thanks for the hint regarding the bindings.

FaderPort driver works with latest Renoise 3.1, but isn’t automatically updated by Renoise.

Means: you have to open the tools faderport Folder and edit manifest.xml. Change the API version from 4 to 5 and then it will work as expected.

Hi Airmann :slight_smile:

I’d like to do what you said but I honestly wouldn’t have a clue where to start. Could you give me some pointers please?

Cheers :drummer:

I’d like to do what you said but I honestly wouldn’t have a clue where to start. Could you give me some pointers please?

First you need to enable the scripting terminal;

How to Enable the Scripting Developer Tools in Renoise

By default Renoise has all the scripting stuff hidden to keep things as easy as possible for those who don’t want to mess around with code. If you want to write scripts, the first thing you have to do is enable the hidden development tools that are built into Renoise. This can be done by:

Opening Renoise’s config.xml file from the preferences folder, and set the ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools property to “true”. If you don’t know where to find the Renoise preference folder, open Renoise and click on “Help” → “Show Preferences Folder…”

After doing this in Renoises tool tab you’ll see an entry for scripting terminal & editor, open it and browse, search for the tool you want to edit in the folder tree, click the arrow icon and look for the manifest file, open it through double clicking and look for the ‘apiversion’ line, change it from 4 to 5 and don’t forget to press execute in the bottom right of the scripting terminal window, this will save what you’ve just changed. Now try re-booting the tool.

First you need to enable the scripting terminal;

After doing this in Renoises tool tab you’ll see an entry for scripting terminal & editor, open it and browse, search for the tool you want to edit in the folder tree, click the arrow icon and look for the manifest file, open it through double clicking and look for the ‘apiversion’ line, change it from 4 to 5 and don’t forget to press execute in the bottom right of the scripting terminal window, this will save what you’ve just changed. Now try re-booting the tool.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out Djeroek :walkman:

I followed your instruction and its working. Now that I know how to get under the hood I’ll try to see if I can modify the Duplex for my MPD32.

Again, thank you :smiley: