New Tool (2.7/8): Presonus Faderport Implementation

Hi Airmann! What do I do with those codes?
paste them in a txt, then rename the file to the right file (can’t seem to download them directly)
to create a xrnx I have to zip the whole thing up?

Just did all above and it works!
i really like the mixer <> pattern view swap and the record box is just a butten away, hoorray!!
excellent job!!!

I noticed, when in ‘device mode’ not all devices work, like the filter and distortion don’t work and for the eq5, for instance, the panning knob and fader both do 100Hz.

Oh yes, thanks for the hint.

I’ve fixed that today. Also all meta and send/receive devices didn’t work. I also added mappings for “Comb Filter” and “#Multiband Send”.

FYI:
FaderPort driver identifies devices by their default names. For example in Renoise 2.6 filter had the name filter 3. This has changed in 2.7 and therefore it didn’t function anymore. But you could’ve changed this easily by yourself, because device mappings are a simple configuration setting.
For that you have to change FaderPorts config.xml file. You also can add mapping rules for 3rd Party VST plugins there.
I highly recommend to read the FaderPort driver manual: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.. Everything is explained there. Also you can check out the YouTube video tutorials.

Beside the device parameter mappings, I improved the behaviour of the output button. Now the output button reflects the Pre/Post mixer view state, and if you press the button Pre/Post mixer view changes, too. This is IMO a big ergonomically improvement when doing final mixing.

Just download the latest version from Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

You just have to download the newer/changed files. To be sure download all and drop the old stuff.
Later on I will create an XRNX Version.

planed to do it, but crashes were not 1:1 reproducable. Wanted to have a deeper look at things, first.

UPDATE: added bug reports today

How can one download without installing GIT?

Just browse the source and rightclick save as. Just three files or so have changed.

Otherwise I don’t use GIT, I use Mercurial (HG). For Windows I recommend TortoiseHG.
ASAIK GIT is not supported yet by google code.

how about the trns button? doesn’t seem to do much, isn’t ‘sticky mode’ (i think that is te focus feature in Renoise) changed in 2.7?

Sticky mode is a pure FaderPort driver feature and has nothing to do with Renoise focusing.
In Sticky mode FaderPort is bound to a specific track or device only.
E.g. you can bind FaderPort to the master track, while selecting and editing other tracks.

For more information have a look at the manual.

If you don’t need sticky mode you can disable it in the FaderPort config.xml.
In this case TRNS button opens the sample editor view.

Best regards
Matthias

ah I see! read the manual just breefly. I shall take a better look to save you from questions.
but you know how it goes when you got a new toy.
and this toy is very powerful due to your work!

No Prob man, the user base is really not big, so it’s still no problem for me to answer questions.

I pointed you the manual, because I think it’s necessary to get the most out of the driver.
But you’re right - me too tends more to play with new stuff instead of reading :D.
Just after 2 years I found out the there such thing as ctrl-p for continuous pasting in Renoise.
Speeded up my drum programming 400%.

Anyway, thanks for feedback - it’s always good to get some feedback.
Just tell me what you like / dislike.

Released v1.0.2 for Renoise 2.7 yesterday. For changes see the manual and tools page.

XRNX available, I recommend the tools Updater tool for automatic updates

Don’t get any updates since I compiled the XRNX myself via your code page.
Not a bad thing because everything works great, Thank you again Airmann!

Good news - thanks for feedback :)

Only want to say THANK YOU, Airmann! What a great and usefull Software! I recently switched over from Sonar 8 to Renoise 2.7 and noticed, that i’m able to use my beloved Faderport with Renoise 2.7 - a really nice suprise. Great Work and well done. You make my day. Again - many thanks.

@TMS: thanks for feedback, great you like it :-).
BTW: if you use Sonar or another DAW and Renoise at the same time you have to decide which DAW shall be controlled by FaderPort.
Actually it’s obvious, but I experimented with a mode (it’s disabled by default) for FaderPort support of multiple Renoise instances.
Didn’t work out very well, so it’s disabled by default.

I forgot to mention: I updated the device mappings for all new 2.7 devices.

Update: FaderPort driver seems to be compatible to latest Renoise 2.8 Version. The Renoise Auto-Updater does the job for you.
Track grouping also works. But I haven’t tested everything, yet. If you experience any bugs, let me know - thanks.

Otherwise I’m working on a new version 1.0.3 for Renoise 2.8. This version will support the new devices and contain some feature updates like full stop support.
You already can get the latest version from google code: http://code.google.com/p/airmann-faderport-driver/source/browse/?name=Renoise_2_8_latest

Best regards
Matthias

Great work Airman!

I just installed my new faderport and want to share some thoughts, using the 1.02 release. Bare with me if I misunderstood something.

1. After automating a track, the fader follows even when in write mode. This won’t allow you to record new values over the old ones without first deleting the automation. Maybe fader following should only occur when in read mode? (the fader should probably be positioned when you push write though, for convenience)

2. Fader is not set when moving into a track with an automated value. (I only tried the post vol so far)

3. It would be really cool if rew and ffw buttons would transport you in the song, say 16 lines per push and with a repeat rate of 0.5s when held. A more exotic but cool feature would be if the BPM was multiplied by 2 whenever ffw is held down :)

Keep up the good work!

First of all, thanks for all your effort on faderport implementation for renoise. :)

I was just wondering are you planning on updating it for renoise 3.0?

Yes, I have planed to update it for 3.0. Will do this ASAP :slight_smile: