New Tool (2.7): Split Into Separate Tracks

Same here…where do I find it? :P

Right click on a track in the pattern editor --> Track --> Split into separate tracks (the last option)

@Jonas: No, right now it does not. I intended it to be used with drums, and I couldn’t come up with a scenario where you have different instruments on one track recording live (is that even possible with Renoise?). But let’s think about it.

fladd

Ah, you’re looking at this from a live players perspective :) . No, at the moment it isn’t possible to trigger 2 different instruments at the same time in the same channel through live playing, I think (there is a script somewhere called ‘instrument chainer’ in which you can link instruments though).

I wanted this feature mainly for remixing old .mods that often contain different instruments on the same channel.

Thanks, awesome! :D

Thanks!

I see. Well, I will look into it during the next days. I was also initially thinking of something similar, namely the option to split according to samples instead of notes (such that all notes from instrument go into one track, and all notes from another instrument into another track). I think what you mean is the combination of both, right? So that all C-3 of Instrument 1 go into one channel, C-4 of Instrument 1 into another, but C-3 of Instrument 2 in another and C-4 of Instrument 2 into another, right?

fladd

Exactly, of course optional if possible :slight_smile:

Also if this could be applied on a selection, rather than always on the complete pattern range that would be sweet. I’m still not getting your implementation of the note-offs in the current script though. A separated drumtrack won’t sound the same as the ‘original’ track, as there are no note-offs placed right after the notes, except for the first 16 lines in the pattern. Is this a bug or intentional?

There was indeed a bug with the note offs. This should be fixed now!
@Jonas: Your example file is split correctly now.
I will look into the other feature requests soon.
Can you guys please test it again?

fladd

awesome feature! will try it when i get home! will, if it works as i think it does, save me the trouble of cleaning up my live recd drumtracks!

keep the good features coming guys!

Sorry, there was still another bug. I fixed this one now and the file in the first post is updated.
Please test and give feedback!

fladd

seems to work flawlessly here, but need to test some more, little time at the moment! Thanks for fixing the note off bug!

One thing I’d like to add to the request list however :wink: , when you implement the ability to split selection, is the option to have the note selection you apply the script to also be cut out of the original track.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update, fixed a prob I ran into with the last release!

Will you eventually post this on the tools.renoise.com page?

@Jonas: Sure, will do :)

@ Conner_Bw: Yes, of course, I just wanted it to be bug free. If I can update it there as well later on (when I implement some more stuff) I could theoretically put it there right now as the first version (given that the actual one is entirely bug free of course).

fladd

Had the script crash with the following notice:

'C:\Users\plugexpert\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.6.0\Scripts\Tools\de.fladd.SplitIntoSeparateTracks.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.  

Please contact the author (Florian Krause (fladd) [siebenhundertzehn@gmail.com]) for assistance...  

main.lua:48: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'note_pos' (a nil value)  
stack traceback:  
 main.lua:48: in function 'split'  
 main.lua:83: in function <81><br>```

<br>
<br>
I tried splitting a multi-column track with one track column being empty.</81>

Interesting, can you send me the file please?

fladd

I really cannot reproduce this bug, sorry. I need the file.
However, I found another bug and fixed it.
The version in the first post is updated.
Please test!

fladd

You’ve uploaded the script with a wrong extension, get this notice when dragging into Renoise:

Unknown or unsupported song filetype!  

EDIT:

Maybe the crash with your script had something to do with the following bug, which is already fixed: http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=26455

Will try if I can replicate anyway.

Sorry, was late last night :)
Fixed it!

fladd

Any more crashes anyone? Otherwise I would submit it to tools.renoise.com.

fladd