New Tool (2.8): Cells! 2.0

I just grabbed the Cells manual and watched the demo video and for the life of me I cannot yet figure out how to use this.

It seems to require that all your instruments be set to loop.

I have my Launchpad plugged in but it has no effect.

I can get Cells to sorta work with Renoise 3.x by editing manifest.xml and upping the API number. Renoise will then allow me to enable the tool.

But I get a Lua error if I try to start it. Now that I know some Lua Iā€™m tempted to poke around and see what can be done to make it play nice with 3.x, but the lack of proper documentation is putting me off. Iā€™ve yet to do anything useful with Cells in 2.8.

The Cells manual seems more like an FAQ; it describes assorted details but lacks any kind of ā€œGetting startedā€ help. It seems to assume you already know what it does and why it does it.

Maybe itā€™s not worth digging in to it if it is going to be that complex just finding out what it does and how it works? Seems such a shame to see this turn to bitrot though, looks like it had a lot of potential.

does the multiplayer network sync over OSC across different platforms? like a linux laptop and windows desktop?

Does anyone still use this tool? Still need to check out Duplex so not sure if most of these features got rolled into that. Appreciate it if anyone knows either way, this looks like a lot of fun and something I miss from Ableton. Thanks!

2 Likes