New Tool (2.8): Scale Mapper

Oh, that’s it then. I didn’t realize it was for sample-based instruments only.

I’m afraid so, at least until I work out another solution… maybe it can be done using OSC, either way it will be a while before I get that advanced with my coding :(

This is an incredible help and has made playing scales so much more fun on the keyboard. I have a question though-- is it possible to enter a chord progression into your patterns so I can change chords with the song? I haven’t figured out how to do that yet and it seems to me like it would make the tool 1000% more useful in my workflow.
Keep up the great work!
TrueSchool

that should do it.

Hey trueschool, thanks for the comment and I’m glad you find it useful, I made the tool out of a personal necessity so it’s nice to know others find it useful too.

To answer your question, what I do is duplicate the instrument a few times and create different tunings for each one, doing chord progressions is then a matter of changing instrument numbers in the pattern editor.

I did try to set up a way to change the presets with midi mapping but the problem is that scripts are not really suited for real time use so the results are not always predictable and chord changes don’t always happen at the right time. I have some other ideas about doing this and I will revisit them in future, but my work life balance is fairly non existent at the moment so can’t promise anything soon.

That’s the paradox with making free tools like this, once you have addressed the initial personal need for making the tool, the incentive for continuing development is vastly reduced.

Try the method I mentioned above, it works for me.

Thanks so much for your response. That’s a good idea about creating multiple instruments. I’ll have to give it a try.
I also understand that the “personal necessity” part of building tools adds a special urgency to the project, and I know how frustrating it is supporting something you feel like you’ve already ‘finished’. I really appreciate the time and energy you’re committing to supporting this community forum.

I might have found another way to to solve my problem with a different tool that you and other Renoise users might find interesting. I got Chordbot for Android (also iOS, http://chordbot.com/) that allows you to build complex chord progressions and rhythms on various instruments, export them in MIDI format, and import them into the DAW where you can fine tune everything with the instruments and tools in Renoise. My workflow with this tool will involve taking the chord progressions I’ve already written for my songs on guitar, sequencing them out into patterns on my phone, exporting MIDI and building up the other tracks in Renoise and “coloring in” everything with the right notes from ScaleMapper. I’ll have to keep everyone updated on the progress.

Thanks again for this tool!
Best-
TrueSchool

I’m sure I’m overlooking something and will be putting a foot in my mouth shortly, but…

I can’t seem to get it to work?

I load a sample note, and ReNoise automatically “maps” it across the keys, as it should. Then, I start the tool, and ask it to switch to D minor.

It tells me this is D minor:

C D E F G A A#

When D minor should be:

D E F G A A# C

In other words, the NOTES are right, but they seem to be in the wrong place on the scale. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something about music theory?

Hi, as far as I understand both are correct, a scale is not about the actual names of the notes but more about the relationship between the notes so I think even A A# C D E F G could be called a D minor scale.

I think the issue you are pointing out is just around how the tool displays the scale, the way the keys are mapped are correct. I guess what should be happening is that the GUI should update so that the ‘Original Note’ section rotates to make the first note the same as whatever the base note is set to, this would then display the scale correctly but in practice it would play the same on the keys.

I actually don’t know a great deal about music theory (hence why I made this tool) so I might be wrong, if someone more knowledgable thinks differently please correct me.

I initially based this tool on the Scale midi plugin available in Ableton Live and it copies the mapping behaviour of that exactly, so if I have got it wrong then blame Ableton! :lol:

If you really must have it the way you describe then you can set the preset to ‘off’ and set the scale up manually to be the way you want it.

Well, from what I understand, if you are trying to transpose pre-existing content or something, then C needs to shift to D, D to E, etc. If you are just looking to make the keyboard easier to play as you switch between scales, then the tool behavior makes perfect sense. I guess I just misunderstood the use of the tool.

Perhaps I should start wearing bacon flavored shoes…

I see what you mean. Well if its useful I can add that as an option in the next version.
It shouldn’t be too difficult to make the tool behave in the way you want, then it could serve both purposes.

Eh?

That would be awesome. Often, I have a part I’m writing and it doesn’t change except to shift from one key to the next to match the song’s progressions. Also, it would make it that much easier to say “gee, what would the song sound like in a different key?”

Maybe you could have a toggle, labeled “Keyboard / Full Change” or something…

Bacon flavored shoes for the times when I put my foot in my mouth… ;)

Ah I get yah now!

Yes it should be easy to implement, I have some free time coming up next week so will have a go at that and maybe also some new features. Just need to dust of my Lua books and get my head around it again.

Cheers

Well , one thing I could learn from this neat DAW was that in previous versions is that you can change the “basenote” in the “VST instrument properties” and then you can play all MAJOR SCALES playing the WHITE KEYS in the QWERTY keyboard … How? Well , in old versions you can change the basenote by clicking to the right selectig a higher BASENOTE and that will give you a higher SCALE …

For instance :

F# = F#
G = F
G# = E
A = D#
A# = D
B = C#
C = C

So let’s say you select “C#” in the basenote that will give you the “B MAJOR” Scale on the “WHITE KEYS” or let’s say you select G# In the basenote then that will give you the E MAJOR scale …

In contrast to this feature in the new versions where BASENOTE was replaced by the TRANSPOSE slider , this still work the same ,yeah, for instance : “1 ST” will give you C# scale or maybe you choose “5st” then that will give you “F major” and so on

Can you update this tool to version Renoise 3?

I would to like to experimenmt with!

Regards,

Resident

Can you update this tool to version Renoise 3?

I would to like to experimenmt with!

Regards,
Resident

The changes made to Renoise 3 instruments mean that the techniques used by this tool (overlapping keyzones) are no longer supported. Therefore this tool cannot be upgraded to v3. Sorry.

However v3 instruments now come with a scale feature so much of the functionality of this tool can be achieved with that along with phrases. I used this tool a lot before v3 and now don’t need to use it anymore. The only thing missing in r3 is custom scales so if you need that then make a feature request and maybe we will see it in future versions.