New Tool (2.8): Snapshot

you need to activate the automation on the specific parameter first in the automations tab, if you haven’t enabled it then no automation will be recorded for that parameter.

Let me try and rephrase that. The tool, when run with the “all” and “device” mode will always output something at the current line. And you are saying that for the “parameter” mode to work, a device parameter needs to contain automation data (as in, I should go to the automation editor and draw an envelope). The little icon next to the parameter will then light up, and this parameter should now be included when running the tool. So far, so good.

What I was reporting was something else, which is that navigating to a pattern which does not contain any automation will bypass the tool from creating any output at that point in time. This seems kind of inconsistent, since the other two modes will always output something. I would expect the automated parameters to always be output, regardless of the lack of existing automation data in that pattern.

But yes, I could definitely be missing some subtle point here, after all we are talking about personal preference smile.gif

Ah ok I get what you mean now, thanks for the explanation, yes you are quite right it does seem inconsistent. I guess what is needed is a check to see if a parameter has had any automation created for it anywhere in the song… like that is_automated property you mentioned. I’ll fix it in the next update! Cheers

Updated to v0.5
Added another mode “Snapshot edited” - When you take a snapshot using this mode it will only write automation for parameters that have just been edited. This makes it really easy to step through a pattern take a load of snapshots and only parameters that are tweaked are recorded, this also means you do not have to use the automation clean up routines.

Example usage: Tweak some parameters, take a snapshot -> move to another line, tweak some more parameters and take a snapshot. Repeat this as many times as you like, only parameters that are changed are recorded. (I will post a video of this in action soon)

Also

The tool will now detect if a parameter is being modulated by a meta device (Hydra, Signal follower etc…) If it is then automation will not be recorded for this parameter.

I have also fixed the ‘Snapshot params’ function to work properly, it will now take a snapshot if the parameter is automated anywhere in the song.

Ey Afta,

got this notice trying to load a new Renoise song file;

‘C:\Users\plugexpert\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.0.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.

Please contact the author (afta8 | fathand@gmail.com ) for assistance…

main.lua:403: Script execution terminated by user.

stack traceback:

[string “do…”]:54: in function <[string “do…”]:35>

main.lua:403: in function ‘update_dsp_table’

main.lua:526: in function main.lua:524

Afaik didn’t use the tool at all, must have been running in the background, maybe accidentally triggered it through a keyboard shortcut?

Not been able to replicate this one, did it happen only with a certain song or just randomly?

Not been able to replicate this one, did it happen only with a certain song or just randomly?

Can’t remember, just randomly I think?

Happens to me too while creating new/ opening old song:

'C:\Documents and Settings\zemudene\Application Data\Renoise\V3.0.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (afta8 | fathand@gmail.com ) for assistance...

main.lua:568: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
  main.lua:568: in function 'stop_device_observer'
  main.lua:636: in function <main.lua:633>

press ok and then follows:

'C:\Documents and Settings\zemudene\Application Data\Renoise\V3.0.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx\main.lua' may be busy or may have stopped responding.

You can stop the script now, in order to avoid freezing the whole program or continue waiting for it to complete.

Terminate Script?

'C:\Documents and Settings\zemudene\Application Data\Renoise\V3.0.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.

stack traceback:
  [string "do..."]:37: in function <[string "do..."]:35>
  main.lua:403: in function 'update_dsp_table'
  main.lua:526: in function <main.lua:524>

then renoise becomes quite unresponsive, after pressing play and stop comes same^ again:

'C:\Documents and Settings\zemudene\Application Data\Renoise\V3.0.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx\main.lua' may be busy or may have stopped responding.

You can stop the script now, in order to avoid freezing the whole program or continue waiting for it to complete.

Terminate Script?

stack traceback:
  [string "do..."]:37: in function <[string "do..."]:35>
  main.lua:403: in function 'update_dsp_table'
  main.lua:526: in function <main.lua:524>

didn`t happen when I was using 3.0, finally updated a couple days ago…I think it happens more easily if you install snapshot by launching xnrx file which then opens renoise, if you install tool when renoise is already open then it might not happen instantly.

Hmm, still can’t replicate but I’ll look into it in more detail… Maybe the auto upgrade does something weird

confirming, I got the same error. some details:

• using Renoise on Linux

• according to Help > About, apparently I’m still using Renoise 3.0.0, oops, guess I didn’t upgrade yet, but I will do so after this post.

• I had already loaded a song

• I was looking through my Download folder, saw the Snapshot tool, remembered “hey that one was wicked useful”, so I dragged-dropped it onto my Renoise window. It told me it was already installed (well duh how else would I know it was wicked useful–I’m a bit half-brained today), and I … think I clicked “No” to the “install anyway?” question, but I probably clicked Yes because otherwise it wouldn’t have done anything, right? So guess I clicked Yes and reinstalled it. Because then is when the first error popped up, immediately.

• I tried “Snapshot Device” on an Instrument Macros device, and despite of the error, the Snapshot plugin seemed to work just fine.

• Then I fiddled around a bit, decided I didn’t like it and reloaded the same song via the File > Recently Loaded Song command, and upon reloading, the error popped up again.

That’s when I decided to web search if there was maybe a new version of the Snapshot tool, and I saw this thread, noticed someone was having the same error, so here I am being helpful and trying to be precise about this bug report. Now, while typing this:

• closed and restarted Renoise, no errors

• loaded the same song again, no errors

• tried some fiddling and using the snapshot tool, no errors

• reloaded the song, no errors

So, I guess it only happens in the same Renoise session as when you installed the tool? If I get the error again, I will make another post.

Also, thanks for this great tool, because it is wicked useful :wink:

Thanks triple zero, I think you have isolated what the problem is.

I have posted a new version to the first post of this thread which I hope fixes it!

Urgh, sorry folks, I introduced a bug in the last version so updated it again.

Just what i was looking for! Thanks afta8, i owe you a peppermint chocolate.

Just what i was looking for! Thanks afta8, i owe you a peppermint chocolate.

Mmm dessertware, can’t wait :wink:

I just installed Snapshot 0.52000000000000002 on Renoise 3.1.0 b4 (64-bit) on Linux, and after Renoise auto-upgraded the tool and I loaded a song, I got the following error:

'/home/me/.renoise/V3.1.0/Scripts/Tools/com.afta8.Snapshot.xrnx/main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
main.lua:568: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
 main.lua:568: in function 'stop_device_observer'
 main.lua:636: in function <main.lua:633>

This tool drastically slows down Renoise 3.1… I looked into code but did not find anything obvious…

Any idea? Is it a bug in Renoise?

Most likely an issue with the way it is coded. It uses lots of notifiers if I remember correctly and was written for an earlier version of Renoise, API has changed since then so maybe new issues introduced etc…

My advice, leave this one alone for now

Ok, thanks.

But if it worked ok on earlier version, it seems that Renoise 3.1 introduced a drastical slowdown in API.

it seems that Renoise 3.1 introduced a drastical slowdown in API.

I’m very interested if you could somehow demonstrate this? Running the tool on the same song in different Renoises.

Also, I use this tool from time to time. It’s very handy for complex (re-)arrangements.

ok i try to make a vid… Did you try it on a complex project with moderate CPU load on OSX? Here, if the tool is enabled, 1. horizontal scrolling thru pattern starts to lag, 2. pattern position starts to behave jumpy and 3. song position change totally lags

This is pretty much a ‘must have’ for many of my instruments and great for making ‘presets’, can’t say i have noticed any problems. I usually only use the ‘Snapshot device’ though.