New Tool (3.0, 3.1): Track Comments

That is weird! Sounds to me like if the notifier is not called correctly after pasting and exiting the window or something. Maybe a bug in the scripting API?

I just updated this tool to work with Renoise 2.7. Have a look at the original post.

Do you guys think this is ready for the tools page?

did you manage to iron out the last-mentioned bug? (your previous post)
in my own experience i’ve had no trouble with it, but have not used it extensively either. i suppose it’s your call whether to put it on the tools page or not.

I am afraid that this is nothing I can fix, but has to be fixed in the API. Maybe someone from the dev team can look into this?

Now available at the tools page and compatible with Renoise 2.8!

http://www.renoise.com/tools/track-comments

‘C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.8.1\Scripts\Tools\de.fladd.TrackComments.xrnx’ failed to execute in one of its menu entry functions. Please contact the author for assistance… main.lua:259: attempt to index upvalue ‘current_song’ (a nil value) stack traceback: main.lua:259: in function main.lua:246

edit: I am using Win7 64bit

Mmh…strange…current_song is nil…
And you get this message when you do what exactly? Open a song? Open Renoise? Open the track comment window?

Hmm, it started working now, strange. i just opened renoise and tried it without loading a song. Tried second time and it worked.

The tool perhaps is initiated while there is no song-data there yet? Without looking at the code i can understand current_song will be nil if an expression “if not renoise.song() == nil then current_song=renoise.song()” is executed during the startup of Renoise, because then renoise.song() will always be nil (tools start faster than a new empty song has been initiated).

Updated for 3.0!

Updated for Renoise 3.1

Just tried this out. Tempted now to hack on it so I can save comments per pattern in a track.

I started hacking on fladd’s code (very nice!) and have been looking into a Renoise fx column hack as a way to anchor comments to patterns.

I’ve posted a new topic to discuss possible flaws with my idea.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/using-custom-fx-numbers-values-for-storing-tool-data-thoughts/47559