New Tool (3.0): Midi Convert

I noticed something about it’s format, causes other programs like VLC to reject it.
However in Renoise it works quite nicely, Thanks.

v0.33 now available:

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert

Changes:
Conversion algorithm much faster now, changed extension from .midi to .mid, improvements to dbug mode

Explanation:
I copied the algorithm from the PHP version of the XRNS2MIDI script, when in fact I don’t need to scan each instrument individually. Duh. This change speeds things up, tons!

great!!

i’m going to check it out right away

great work Conner!

Midi Convert version 0.4 now available.

Compatible with Renoise 2.7 / API V2.

This post acts as a temporary placeholder until tools.renoise.com is sorted out. Go tools, go!

Thank you :D

Export SELECTION to *.MID would be great.
Is there any chance to implement this?

Done in version 0.5 posted below:

Attachment 1928 not found.

Attachment 1929 not found.

:drummer: :guitar: :yeah:

Seems like a great tool. It didn’t work as expected tho. Exported files plays in winamp but not in energy-xt.
Just to check if xt is the problem, i downloaded midi files online and those worked so i dunno where is the problem.
Hopefully this one is fixed in the (near)future because midi export is important feature.

Well, I think the problem is Energy-XT.

I’ve tested with Garageband. Others have tested with other hosts (Cubase, Logic, …).

I’m not sure what to say here. I can’t test XT because I’m on OSX. Can you give more details? It would be great if you could post a MIDI file that doesn’t work. If we can test that it works for other hosts, then we can verify it’s an issue with XT and you can ask for help in the Energy XT forum.

I thought as well it’s xt problem. I forgot to mention that i’m using Renoise 2.7b5 and midi convert 0.5. XT is also latest version. Here is an example file. All instruments in winamp plays as piano but at least it works. I’ll check xt forum. Thanks.

I can open your file in:

• Gargabeband
  • Amadeus Pro
  • Renoise

Works for me?

nice work conner! :)

I bet it’s XT but it opened downloaded midi file without problems.

Latest version has been added to the Tools page:

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert

Great work. Works like a charm for me. Thank you very much :yeah:

Although I experienced a problem today. Maybe it is on my side. I assigned all Instruments to Midi Channels/Instruments and everything was alright in Renoise. Drums were drums, bass was bass and so on. After I exported to midi and played the midifile in WinAmp every instrument/track was assigned to midi channel/instrument 01 (piano) again… ?

That is a problem because a friend of mine wanted the midi file to work on it in his Roland synthesizer and now he is not able to change single instruments/tracks because every change he does affects all channels at once…

I hope that makes any sense to you… :)

Sure it makes sense but there’s not much I can do.

If I open the file in Garageband, Logic, and a dozen other sequencers everything works as expected. If I play the file in Quicktime it’s all piano. It’s irrelevant to the generated file.

If you are saying that Roland expects each instrument to be on a different channel then the problem is that, in MIDI, there’s only 16 channels. If your Renoise song has 17 instruments…

This is yet another case where I would really like other coders contributing, not just users. ;) Look at line ~ 357 and ~359 in export.lua, play with ch=1 Patches welcome.

Good times.

Ah. I see. I will try to delete some instruments which are not that important for the compositon at all and will give it another try. Thanks for the fast reply :)