New Tool (3.0): Multi Volumes

Thanks Cas, I’ll have a look when I get some time and the head space for more coding

Sure thing, feel free to apply your mad skillz to it

LOL

Ok so I found this main problem. First of all, it’s not got anything to do with tracks being send tracks or not :).
A variable named rs_tracks is declared in the beginning, in the global scope, and only refreshed when a song is opened. This is definitely a flaw for the functioning of the, for the rest perfectly executed script. Any tracks that are added or removed will make the behaviour of the tool, unpredictable now. I suggest having a (global) variable ‘rs’ point to renoise.song() as soon as a song is opened, and then replacing all references to

rs_tracks  

in the script, to

rs.tracks  

Here you go
4192 com.afta8.MultiVolumes_V0.3.xrnx

(PS, same thing goes for rs_sequencer, pattern sequence wouldn’t get updated, so thing selected in newly added patterns in the matrix would probably go unnoticed, or, whatever, it’s fixed now.)

Dude, thanks! That is a very elegant fix, seems obvious now that you have explained it, but I was getting into a right muddle by thinking about it in a different way.

Anyway it all seems good and stable now, your fix has resolved a number of issues I was having with it.

I’ve updated the first post with the latest version and credited you in the code, oh and thanks for optimising my clamp function! I think it may be ready for the tools page now… Big Ups 2 u!

No problem, was happy to look at the code and especially to be able to find and fix quickly.
I’ve also added a small safety net to a new version, which only adjusts volumes when the pattern matrix is open (with GUI setting). The thing I was mainly annoyed about is that you can’t deselect in PM (I mean, just click outside and select none). In the respect of this awesome tool that is a ‘renoise bug’. Although the “untrained” user won’t see it. Because the start/relative volumes are read when tracks are selected (not sure if it could be done at the first volume_change). For now, I just gotta use the enable/disable shortcuts a lot because that way it works fine!
I’m guessing official multiple track selection will come in R3 :D.

Great tool, thanks!!

Updated for R3 and also added a preference option to enable/disable the tool for pre-fx volume faders.

Find it on the tools page: http://www.renoise.com/tools/multi-volumes

Nice tool - Thanks

I have added one more shortcut - ON/OFF Switch - that replaces the other two if someone is interested:5661 com.afta8_.MultiVolumes_V0.4.xrnx

Interesting, I suppose it does make more sense to have a single shortcut to toggle it on and off. I’ll check it out and incorporate into a future release.

Thanks

Since there is no way to select multiple tracks in mixer and sometime itsinconvenient (or you work on small screen like me) to have pattern matrix open, what do You think about adding two more shortcuts that will work in mixer:

• Add track to pattern matrix selection

• Remove track from pattern matrix selection

• or another switch that will replace those two :slight_smile:

I`m a little inexperienced with lua but i can try to implement that when i will have some free time and find best solutionempirically.

It could be done, but how would you know which tracks are selected without the pattern matrix open?

Feel free to add it to the tool and I will see what I can add to it as well, let me know if you need help with lua

ok first draft for testing ( maybe we could use github pull requests)

track colors in mixer should be enabled

my shortcuts setup:

ctrl+~ to on/off

shift+~ toggle track selection

let me know what you think

p.s. color_blend values are hard coded and there is one issue to resolve but i`m tired…

(besides i didn’t know what i was doing till i have done it - code could be much better)

I like the way you have used track colours here.

Just a thought… how about if you draw a selection range in the pattern matrix that covers the tracks you want to control. Then you hit a shortcut key and those tracks are then controlled by the tool.

I like the way you have used track colours here.

Great to hear that - I can make “release” version (add settings, cleanup) with this colors plus maybe on/off toggle if you like to add it “officially”

Just a thought… how about if you draw a selection range in the pattern matrix that covers the tracks you want to control. Then you hit a shortcut key and those tracks are then controlled by the tool.

Sorry i don`t understand what you have in mind could you elaborate on this.

I use pattern matrix LeftMouseButton drag to select, shift+LMB select to, ctrl+LMB to toggle track

Great to hear that - I can make “release” version (add settings, cleanup) with this colors plus maybe on/off toggle if you like to add it “officially”

Sounds good, this would probably easier if I were on Github right? I never quite got my head around it but will look at it again, alternatively PM me a version which I can check out.

Sorry i don`t understand what you have in mind could you elaborate on this.

I use pattern matrix LeftMouseButton drag to select, shift+LMB select to, ctrl+LMB to toggle track

Sorry, I meant pattern editor, I was referring to your original request to be able to use the tool with only the pattern editor on screen. I thought if you dragged out a range in the pattern editor then you could hit a shortcut and then the tracks in that range would change colour to indicate their volume controls are synced. This could be easier than going to each track and toggling it on/off

5709 com.afta8_.MultiVolumes_V0.5.xrnx

changes in v0.5:

• added use track color blend to indicate which tracks are affected (and if the tool is enabled)

(warning it will override tracks color blend - colors themselves are safe) - check options

• added shortcut to ON/OFF the tool

• added shortcut to toggle selection in matrix view currently selected track in mixer/pattern view

(handy when pattern matrix is not visible)

afta8:

could you look at ‘track_selection_toggle’ function to improve it since there is this behavior that i cant really understand:

select two patterns in pattern matrix; close it; enable multvolume, use color blend; use shortcut to toggle tracks

selection in pattern matrix; (you can even deselect every track) this is working great as I intended

but there is this other behavior…

select one pattern in pattern matrix instead; do the same… when you change track in mixer view the selection is followed

and there is no way to select more tracks - for me its no prob since i know i must select minimum two tracks but others…

can be confused

besides that i re coded the color thing, catched all exceptions, fixed bugs - code is good

Edit: I have wrongly packed the tool it installs now correctly

besides that i re coded the color thing, catched all exceptions, fixed bugs - code is good

Good stuff!

I’ll look at this when I have some time and will update it on the tools page… Quick test and it all works, not sure about that strange behaviour I’ll have to look at the code, it’s been a while since I coded this one

From the best scripts I’ve seen so far. Simply incredible!!!

is there a way to have thisignore group channels?