New Tool (3.1.1): PhraseTouch v1.3 build 089

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.1.085:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.2.086:http://forum.renoise…85/#entry369834

Among other fixes, I have added a " Time Calculator"for the Step Sequencer.It looks like this:

8069 7_1.gif

Thus it is possible to count the duration of several lines to synchronize them with each step.It even allows to calculate the duration of a pattern, according to the number of lines.

The keyboard commands have been reviewed. Now the tool is already working very fine, and the step sequencer can already deal with the issue of synchronizing in some way with the playback of the patterns for live recording.The control of time, or rather the synchronization between a tool and Renoise is always a very difficult task!

This is dope! I’ve always wanted something like this in Renoise. Thanks for taking the time to develop this killer project! It takes Renoise to a new level of awesome!

This is dope! …

Thank you very much! Curious way to define it.

PhraseTouch is more than it might seem once you see it installed together with Renoise, or you read the user guide. It is a magnificent complement for MIDI peripherals, which acts as a bridge between them and Renoise through OSC.

Possibly the PhraseTouch name confuses many people, who will think that it is another tool to deal with Renoise’s phrases. But it’s not like that. It is focused to create Phrases, compose Phrases inside a pattern, chords, by shooting multiple notes or controlling several instruments at the same time with easily instrument-track routing. In addition, it has things that allow you to easily manipulate the phrases (XRNZ) of Renoise, which is something else. All together, can give you many hours of fun. Renoise acquires another dimension with PhraseTouch, allowing the multiple control of instruments. This facilitates many combinations, some quite complicated that could even vitiate you as a musician :slight_smile:

Personally, I am using PhraseTouch along with several VSTi and I am having a lot of fun! :smiley:

I feel stupid, but what exactly does this tool do? :slight_smile:

I feel stupid, but what exactly does this tool do? :slight_smile:

Really, the tool does nothing.However, the user can do many things with it.But it is not something that can be summarized in a comment.But hey, one of the things you can do is the multiple control of routed notes. Maybe this interests you. Imagine that you touch a single button, and Renoise magically writes several notes, on several tracks at once, without moving the cursor.Imagine being able to shoot several phrases in a single action.Imagine that the tool also has a step sequencer. I suppose you’ve heard about what this is.

You only have to read the User Guide integrated, or a piece of it. See the images and imagine what you can do. You have 16 panels of notes that you can route to tracks and specific instruments. And you can preview the sounds without recording anything.You can also play with chords, configure your MIDI Input, or use FavTouch to trigger favorite notes routed.

Stop feeling stupid. Install the tool and handle it!If you do not see it useful, you can uninstall it later :lol:.After your comment, it was me who felt stupid to develop a user guide. My English is not very good, but I think I’ve done a great job with him.Give the tool a chance and a little patience. When you understand it, you may not want to uninstall it.

If at the end you think the tool is garbage, nothing happens. Unfortunately, we do not all think the same, nor how to approach a specific tool.

Also, If you do not have fun with her, try to find a gem (read section 5.7 of the user guide: 5.7. A lost treasure: find the gem!.. ).The tool has a hidden panel that is activated “magically” by activating a specific control. Trust me, it is there. If in the end you get bored by not understanding the tool, maybe you’ll have fun with this.Probably, this panel will grow in the future.

Those who feel stupid are the ones who in the end have the most fun! :smiley:

1 Like

PhraseTouch updated to the version v1.3.089:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

By the way, I forgot to mention a detail for all those interested in the PhraseTouch tool.This tool is also compatible with the tool " ~Find Tool Updates…"available from the “Help” tab of Renoise (obviously, you need to have it installed and activated).

In this way, you do not need to download the new versions of the PhraseTouch tool from the tool download section at www.renoise.com. You can use the tool “~Find Tool Updates…” to update it!

The new version v1.3.089 of PhraseTouch includes, among other interesting things, a drastic change that influences the entire code, converting all local song = renoise.song() of all functions into a single global “song” (any tool programmer will know what I’m talking about).In theory, all the code is well tied, without any problem. You can use the new PhraseTouch version with complete confidence. But please, if you detect any unexpected code error (something that should be very strange), do not hesitate to comment here to solve it quickly.

If you want to be informed of the news of each version, display the spoiler of the following link:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205

On the other hand, if you have any suggestions that you would like PhraseTouch to include, you can also comment to me here…

Enjoy!

2 Likes

So I am starting to understand the benefits of using this tool. Now as I want to do some midi editing I am wondering if it is possible to get some visual feedback on my launchpad?

Is it possible to for example highlight the phrases activated on the midi controller?

In order for the physical device to react (the buttons light up), the tool must be programmed on purpose for that specific device. This tool does not have that approach.

If you want to know more about these topics, look at this topic: New tool (3.3.0): Arturia KeyLab mkII v1.3 build 023 (January 2021)

so if i wanted to do something like that but really basic for the lanuchpad, should i look more into Duplex or is there an easy way to define toggles and colors for specific keys pressed?

No. Try the Duplex, see if it does what you want. But, generally, the only way to do it is to create a “specific tool.” Renoise has no use to create this kind of links and the manufacturers of physical devices refuse to provide information related to MIDI control, such as sysex messages, because it is “private code”.

The reasonable thing is, to know how to program in LUA (and the API of Renoise), and to create a tool on purpose investigating for yourself with the specific physical device. Is not easy. But it is possible.

I think Duplex is the best bet. The Launchpad is a well supported device in this environment.

I feel like it must be just a matter of defining a color palette as a tool.
There is even a basic configuration layout in XML

I am not a programmer but It should be really easy like:
for button in grid
if buttonstate off
toggle on red
else
buttonstate off

I just dont know how one would go about implementing this as code. Probably just take and existing application and delete everything realted to the actual tool

or just add one option in the keyboard duplex application that also accepts toggles insted of button release

There are members in the forums that have created specific templates for Duplex. Simply ask for help in the Duplex thread, referring to your Novation Launchpad device. Maybe they can help you.

thanks i posted in that thread.

I think the toggle option in the keyboard app should be fairly easy to realize

Hi, I wonder if its possible to trigger phrases from multiple instruments as in a live mode from the computer keyboard or mouse. Because currently I need to change the instruments as I go.

I suspect I need to use anchor like the manual says but I still dont get how that works /:

Cheers

This enormously complex and powerful tool desperately needs a series of video tutorials showing how to use it.

It’s good that it has a manual, but it’s really only useful as a reference, not for learning how to use the tool. Also, the broken English in it makes parts of it really difficult to understand, so even its use as a reference manual is limited. It has almost no examples, which makes it even harder to learn from.

It’s also frustrating that this tool deliberately hides some of its features from the user. I can’t for the life of me figure out why it does this.

That said, this tool looks amazing, and I’m sure it’s very powerful indeed. I also appreciate the enormous amount of hard work it must have taken to make the tool and write the manual.

It’s just a shame I can’t figure out how to use it. I gave up half way through the manual, which is which is written in too cryptic and concise a manner for all the novel ways the tool offers for interacting with Renoise.

Hi @Hossan

If possible. By activating the “ALL” switch, you can simultaneously play the trigger notes for each phrase according to each panel and their routing to the desired instrument or track. You can do it with the mouse or with the MIDI input (previous mapping).

With FavTouch it would be possible to do it with the keyboard. But I stopped developing the tool because Renoise didn’t improve the API and I got fed up with waiting. When I was programming it, the “released” keys did not exist in the API. Therefore, pressing and releasing was not possible. With API 6 it has changed. But I wasted time on other tools, even more interesting.

If you activate the chain from panels 2 to 16 and panel 1 activates the Mst, you can use panel 1 as a master.

That was a minor game.

This was a programming project for fun, which I shared. It was not a project to satisfy demanding users who want it all.
In fact, I didn’t even remember that I built “a manual”. These types of tools are somewhat complex because they do several things. Building a manual with multiple examples would take forever. A video would clarify many things, but I certainly don’t have time for this type of content. I am not like Taktik, who has a company with hundreds of workers under his care to maintain Renoise and has hundreds of hours a day to update his code. I’m obviously being sarcastic.

I certainly parked this project because I needed certain things that the old API didn’t have. That was very frustrating. In fact, it is not updated for R3.2. That would be a lot of work …