New tool (3.1): MidiPerformer

So you’re saying that you can’t really disable the MIDI inputs in Renoise prefs (and I think I understand your reasons).

But if you do, the tool is able to do the record-arming thing.

Is that correct?

However, a large number of these MIDI cc parameters are not assigned to anything specific and those are the ones that I have on all the sliders and buttons on my setup. I then have a pre-made MIDI MAP done for ReNoise where I sat down and maped all these things to specific stuff, such as volume for track one is MIDI cc 21 (unassigned parameter in GM list), Track 2 is MIDI cc 22 (also unassigned by default in GM) etc etc…

You should know that when Renoise receives unmapped CC messages, they will end up somewhere. Either being pushed to the selected instrument, or going into the pattern.

Once you map them to a specific parameter, this behavior will stop.

So, perhaps you are not making use of the full set of mappings, and the unmapped ones are the ones causing problems.

So you’re saying that you can’t really disable the MIDI inputs in Renoise prefs (and I think I understand your reasons).

But if you do, the tool is able to do the record-arming thing.

Is that correct?

To some extent yes. If I put “none” in the prefs for “In device A - D” the arm record kind of works in the regard that no actual notes are recorded in tracks that are “-INF” mixer volume.
But then nothing else work either, including said volume sliders. I end up having to do all things with the GUI (mouse and computer keyboard).
Even the buttons on M-Audio that I use to turn edit mode on and off as well as start and stop and the other transport functions (next/previous track, next/previous instrument etc) stoped working.

You should know that when Renoise receives unmapped CC messages, they will end up somewhere. Either being pushed to the selected instrument, or going into the pattern.

Once you map them to a specific parameter, this behavior will stop.

So, perhaps you are not making use of the full set of mappings, and the unmapped ones are the ones causing problems.

Hmm… That’s not good. It didn’t look like that happened but MIDI CC messages are sent to a DAW nearly all the time from such a controller like the M-Audio.
If ReNoise insist in putting unmapped CC msgs somewhere, that makes saving and reloading a Midi Map preset causing problems more then helping.

I have quite a few things pre-loaded with that Midi Map. Things that never really changes, such as the volume for the first 8 tracks, master Volume and Transport controls. I did this to save me some time when starting up ReNoise and want to start working on a new project.

But come to think of it, odds of me using a slider/fader/button that I haven’t mapped to anything yet are unlikely.
It would be better tho if ReNoise ignored unmapped CC messages from such things as sliders and faders.

Real Life and the timezone difference between me and you is making this stupid hard to try, but I’m wondering if this is not a job for TeamViewer… Then we could try out stuff on the fly and you could see what is going on. I imagine it’s hard to guess what’s happening here when I’m using such an uncommon setup. :slight_smile:

Let’s skip the teamviewer thing for now… our little exchange might prove useful to some one else :slight_smile:

But then nothing else work either, including said volume sliders. I end up having to do all things with the GUI (mouse and computer keyboard).

No, of course not. But this is one step towards making things work: strip it down to the essentials and then add things back gradually.

So it really does sound like unmapped messages are the root of your problems.

You are saying that it’s unlikely that you haven’t mapped everything, but - ignoring the tool for a moment - if I was you, I’d check if something DOES get recorded directly into the pattern.

Simply start playback in some pattern, enable edit mode and use the various buttons and encoders.

If something does enter the pattern, then I’d map this control to something - “whatever”, really.

If ReNoise insist in putting unmapped CC msgs somewhere, that makes saving and reloading a Midi Map preset causing problems more then helping

It would be kind of the opposite though then, you avoid those stray messages by loading your MIDI mappings?

Anyway, I don’t think it’s that hard to come up with a good setup.

Just to re-iterate an important point - why we** are **doing this. Please help me answer :lol:

1. It was about playing and recording multiple keyboards at the same time.

2. It was about being able to play one keyboard and record a different one, simultaneously.

3. is no problem in Renoise, and 2. is what this tool is supposed to offer.

LOL - yah I’m sorry for all the walls of text.

I’ll get back here once I have time enough to do a bit of testing, probably around the weekend unless my daughter decides to keep me busy.

The original request was to be able to play multiple VST plugins and toggle them on and off on the fly, from the midi controller. :drummer: :guitar: :badteethslayer: :w00t:

Does this use LUA to record the notes or does it just set renoise midi track settings?

Does this use LUA to record the notes or does it just set renoise midi track settings?

The tool uses a combination of MIDI track and “selected” track settings to achieve it’s goal.

But TBH, I’m not too happy about this tool.

I feel it’s a hackish solution. Heck, I’ve not even bothered to fix this longstanding error.

Does anyone have a download link for this tool?

Update:

Here is the tool for anyone who’s looking for it.com.renoise.MidiPerformer.xrnx (286.7 KB)

1 Like

Is there a better replacement for this tool @danoise?

I really need something like this for when I’m using my Digitakt as a midi sequencer into Renoise; with the edit mode on, I want to add some unrelated notes, I get a flood of midi data into what ever track is selected.

This tool seems to fix the assignment of midi to specific track issues I have, like other DAWs out there

I’m feeling dense but how do you download this?

1 Like

The link was just two posts above you. I hadn’t noticed either but the search option did. :wink:

1 Like