New Tool (3.1): ScaleMate

Some minors:

1. I installed the tool, set the shortcut and opened it while in master track. The tool didn’t work correctly until Renoise was restarted (nothing in the GUI really selectable).
  2. The button next to the scale names is not quite wide enough to hide the ‘radio box’ in vb:chooser (1 pixel too narrow). Maybe it’s dependant on theme setting, or I changed some font in the Renoise settings.

(PS. Technically, I think you can tie a vb:checkbox to a label for label-click support. Then adding a normal button on top of that seems like a slightly cleaner hack)

1. Thanks. I’ll add an additional “attach_to_song” call when initializing the tool. Won’t hurt.
    (To answer Raul:) I think tools don’t receive the “new_document” notification when when first installed. And some tools (including this one, heh) could expect/rely on this to work properly.

2. I’m already tying the checkbox to a text field - there is no “chooser”. This allows you to style the text - something which is not possible with buttons.
    I simply forgot that the tying of checkbox ↔ text works fine when the checkbox is set to “visible = false” - using this approach in vLib too.

How do you get that they only have 1 pixel of separation between them???
Is it possible to remove 1 pixel box around each button or similar element???

Yes, they are buttons. Everything you ask should be possible by using negative margin/spacing. I’m specifying a spacing of -3 to get them to line up perfectly.
And I guess you could encapsulate buttons in a rack (row/column) with a negative margin too, to remove the border. Haven’t tried this myself but it should work.

Yes, they are buttons. Everything you ask should be possible by using negative margin/spacing. I’m specifying a spacing of -3 to get them to line up perfectly.
And I guess you could encapsulate buttons in a rack (row/column) with a negative margin too, to remove the border. Haven’t tried this myself but it should work.

I remember reading something related in a forum long ago (negative values in margins and things like that), but I did not know exactly how to do it.Ok, with this method it is possible to compact the tools more, or the buttons are a little wider, and the GUI cleaner. I like it! :smiley:

1. Thanks. I’ll add an additional “attach_to_song” call when initializing the tool. Won’t hurt.
    (To answer Raul:) I think tools don’t receive the “new_document” notification when when first installed. And some tools (including this one, heh) could expect/rely on this to work properly.

Ok, this is a detail that I have not even tried on my tool :o. I will have to check it out.

Thanks!!!

Side note :Yesterday I managed to use a 6-second timer to add a status foot that covers all the functions of a tool. It is very similar to the foot of Renoise, to the left side of the logo “Renoise”. I find this very useful for tools that do several things, informing the user of the operation just made with the tool.Whenever it may be useful, I invite you to use it in the tools, instead of “renoise.app():show_status( “status” )”.I love that the tools are compact. But sometimes it’s hard to understand, given the complexity of some functions.

2. I’m already tying the checkbox to a text field - there is no “chooser”. This allows you to style the text - something which is not possible with buttons.
    I simply forgot that the tying of checkbox ↔ text works fine when the checkbox is set to “visible = false” - using this approach in vLib too.

Both are done and uploaded to tool page:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/scalemate

I have a feature request that might fit into this tool.

A search mode that works in reverse (perhaps in a separate dialogue?), finding scales by clicking/toggling the keys on/off on the keyboard.

1. Click the keyboard buttons to toggle them on/off

2. A search result of matching key-scales is presented. (It’s “one-way exclusive”, so the chromatic scale will appear no matter what you search for.)

3. Some kind of mini-keyboard next to each search result would be nice, to quickly get a feel for how much that is matching the search.

Other than being a simple search-for-scale feature, this is harmonically helpful to quickly identify when a harmony/melody is ambiguous. Or for finding how to make it ambiguous on purpose.

Wait, so you’re basically looking for a way to locate matching scales by inputting notes, one by one.

I guess it could be implemented exactly as that, labelled either “filter” or “search”.

Something to think about.

Really nice tool tank you!

Would therebe a way to make it work with vsti plugins? For now CC14 and CC15 controlling key changes are ignored when a vsti is loaded in the instrument slot, or if midi signal is routed somewhere else :mellow:

The GUI is MIDI mappable so it’s possible to control it externally.

I know, not exactly what you asked for - but then I’m not sure how you are using those CC messages in the first place.

Are you perhaps automating changes from a MIDI control device? Or in realtime, from some controller?

It would be in a live situation. Playing keyboard and having scale settings changing dynamicaly with the playing song to havoid hitting notes outside of the scale

It would be in a live situation. Playing keyboard and having scale settings changing dynamicaly with the playing song to havoid hitting notes outside of the scale

The tool writes those commands into the pattern. So, if you’re recording at the same time the notes will be restricted to the scale - but it won’t modify existing notes (unless triggered via a phrase).

https://forum.renoise.com/t/make-scales-scalekeys-usable-w-o-a-phrase/48438

So I would map the scale buttons in the tool GUI to whatever scales you need while playing, and then it should work - plugin or no plugin?

@danoise After looking through the github for this I just realised who you are, I’ve chatted with you about sononym via email a few times and didn’t know you were danoise!

Is this tool abandoned? I’d love to have some of the Japanese scales like Insen, Hirajoshi and Iwato available. I had a look through the code and can see that xScale contains the scales, which I could add to, but I’m not sure how get from that to a tool, does it need building somehow?

1 Like

Mostly abandoned, yes, but making changes like the one you mention should be pretty trivial.

The code isn’t compiled, it’s just plain .lua like all my other tools. So, to add your own scale, just install the tool, and modify the code in-place :slight_smile:
And perhaps, do yourself a favor and enable the scripting tool menu in Renoise (there is documentation on how to do this elsewhere) because then you can edit the source code and easily reload the tool from within Renoise :slight_smile:

That’s really handy and easy, thanks!

1 Like