New tool (3.4.3): Sample Multi Controller v2.1 build 060 - Get more out of Renoise’s sampler!

What is the “Sample Multi Controller”?

The Sample Multi Controller , also known as SMC is a “window tool” with multiple instances for the manipulation of the sample, exclusively for Renoise. SMC began as a program capable to control sample start and end loop frames focused for the MIDI input. From there, it grew into a mature tool to control a total of 12 different sampler properties:

1. One-Shot
  2. Release Mode (Note-OFF or Loop)
  3. Loop Mode (No Loop, Forward, Backward, PingPong)
  4. Loop Window
  5. Start Frame
  6. End Frame
  7. Volume
  8. Panning
  9. Transposition
  10. Finetune
  11. Beatsync Lines
  12. Beatsync Mode (No Beatsync, Repitch, Percussion, Texture)

Also, when the instrument is sliced, SMC can control multiple slices, up to 6 (which are properties of the instrument, not of the sample):

1. Slice 1
  2. Slice 2
  3. Slice 3
  4. Slice 4
  5. Slice 5
  6. Slice 6

But it doesn’t stop there! Controlling - Routing - Automating

The SMC not only is 100% MIDI mappable, it also allows broad control with the Automation. The composer can control all of these values via MIDI and different automation methods using a Doofer with up to eight (8) Macros (*Instr. Macros).

*[Multiple Meta Devices] → [Doofer [Instr. Macros] ] → Linked Instrument (Index) → SMC Instance (with Macros Bridge)

Renoise is limited to 8 macros per instrument. The SMC offers up to 16 instances (16 equal windows). Each instance of the SMC was then developed to allow the composer to route each Macro to a particular feature of a sample. So, the 8 Macros of the instrument are able to be assigned to each of the 12 available sample properties and up to 6 slices, a novelty that will expand Reniose’s capabilities.

In addition, the SMC has a virtual piano, easily controllable with the mouse. It will allow you to keep the note playing while using your mouse or using the usual keyboard commands to play notes. This permet to pre-test the loop and modify the rest of the properties comfortably, controlling everything from the mouse. It is even possible to hold several notes at a time to try. The virtual piano has been added on purpose for this. It is also MIDI-mappable, with velocity sensitivity, and is also able to show the notes that are assigned to each sample.

To further clarify, you can control everything with the mouse (even the automation of the Doofer). You can also control everything with hardware MIDI input, including the entire tool window or the linked Doofer.

Sample Multi Controller v2.1 build 060. SMC window initial view and SMC window expanded

Above, you can see the floating window in its initial appearance and in its expanded appearance, once the composer begins working with the routing and virtual piano.

Route, automate, live record and repeat!

You can know more by reading the User Guide: Sample Multi Controller User Guide v2.1.060

Download the User Guide here:

Sample Multi Controller User Guide v2.1.060 (HTML file, English)

Sample Multi Controller v2.1 build 060. Looping

Sample Multi Controller. Get the Full Version

The SMC program is distributed in 64-bit XRNX format through as a Demo Version, free, so that anyone can try it.

Download the Demo Version here:

Sample Multi Controller Demo v2.1.060 (XRNX file) (Current Version)
Sample Multi Controller Demo v2.0.058 (XRNX file) (Old)
Sample Multi Controller Demo v1.0.038 (XRNX file) (Old)

SMC is available as a Full Version, which requires a personalized user license, valued at € 10 (euros). If you are interested, please, contact the author «ulneiz» to get your personalized user license (send me a PM for more information).

Please, seriously consider supporting the development for this type of projects buying a license. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of time, effort and money to build!!!
…ulneiz

Sample Multi Controller. Update History

Sample Multi Controller v2.1.060 (July 2021):

• Updated: The general code of the whole tool has been updated to the new API 6.1 (Renoise v3.3.0 & next…).
  • Modified: “Start Frame” slider default value = 0 frame. It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “End Frame” slider default value = max frame (variable). It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “Start Frame” slider small step = 1, big step 100 (< > buttons). This is done with a left or right click.
  • Modified: “End Frame” slider small step = 1, big step 100 (< > buttons). This is done with a left or right click.
  • Modified: “Relative Step” valuebox small step = 1, big step 100 (< > buttons). This is done with a left or right click.
  • Modified: “Slice 1” to “Slice 6” slider small step = 1, big step 10 (< > buttons).This is done with a left or right click.
  • Conserved: The rest of the valueboxes keep the steps: small step = 1, big step 10 (< > buttons). This is done with a left or right click.
  • Modified: “Volume” rotary default value = 0.000 dB. It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “Panning” rotary default value = Center. It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “Transpose” rotary default value = 0 st. It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “Finetune” rotary default value= 0 st. It is executed with double click.
  • Modified: “No Beatsync” rotary default value= 16 lines. It is executed with double click.
  • Improved: The tool protection system has been revised.
  • Modified: user guide partially updated.

Sample Multi Controller v2.0.058 (September 2020):

• Added: new compatibility with the control of sample slices with macro routing. A new panel with sliders will appear when there are sample slices.
  • Added: new control up to 6 sample slices through sliders without possibility of crossing. It will only work with the selected sample with slices.
  • Added: new 6 valueboxes inside “Macros Routing” to slices 1-6.
  • Modified: the “Restore the default macro routing” button now also works with the 6 slices valueboxes.
  • Added: MIDI input control for slice sliders (relative and absolute).
  • Modified: the “Relative Step” valuebox now works also with slice sliders.
  • Modified: SMC Manager: now supports the slice sliders configuration. The XML files will also save the macro routings.
  • Added: SMC Manager: new XML files to load, related with the slices.
  • Added: SMC Manager: the “X” button now include the “press & hold to close & turn OFF all panels”.
  • Added: new XRDP and XRNT files(custom track devices) to import, related with the slices and others.
  • Modified: the virtual piano will now also show marked the notes triggered by the sliced samples (C#3, D-3 and next…).
  • Fixed: the virtual piano does not update the note markup when modifying the note range of each sample in the keyzones.
  • Fixed: MIDI Mapping: successful renaming from “…[Trigger]” to “…[Set]”.
  • Added: new “Sample index bridge” switch to set a sample for the Macros Routing. Now 2 instances (Panel 1, Panel 2 or more) can be bridged to a single instrument, in multiple pinned samples.
  • Added: MIDI Input control for “Sample index bridge” switch.
  • Modified: new distribution of direct presets (3 buttons) for the Macros Routing.
  • Modified: the “Show Waveform Editor” button now too selects the indexes of instrument and sample if they are bridged.
  • Fixed: some value ranges have been readjusted.
  • Fixed: some error could happen when modifying the list of instruments or samples.
  • Modified: Bridged instrument index now self-adjusts when adding or deleting instruments in the instrument box of Renoise.
  • Modified: Demo Version: less aggressive warning window about the elapsed time. This allows more time and less hassle to test it.
  • Modified: user guide partially expanded with new features.

Sample Multi Controller v1.0.038 (December 2019):

• Initial release.
12 Likes

Great tool man good work.I expect a video tutorial for this tool soon. Merry Christmas

2 Likes

I posted this on Reddit’s Renoise page -

"This tool’s got some really handy features that aren’t currently part of Renoise’s repertoire - individual start/end frames with MIDI, LFO, and automation. The same goes for window size and time-stretching.

A lot of these parameters that are now available, I’ve been trying to create Doofers for, and can only get “close”. Or, they simply did not exist for automation purposes before. It’s got a lot of similarities to some Max/MSP standalones (Cconfin and Ultomaton come to mind). So, lots of buzzes, clicks and pops, whirs, etc.

Thanks to Raul on the Renoise forum for taking these points into consideration. These sample manipulation elements are really exciting for those who desire to move into other forms of music. They allow for a greater set of generative sounds to be achieved."

Check out the demos for a small set of what this tool can do!

These parameters are now available to be modulated, which really pushes the sampler into modern DAW territory.

4 Likes

Thank you! Merry Christmas to all!

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments! It is a pleasure to verify that you like this program very much :grinning::partying_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

2 Likes

Here’s a video showing a small amount of what can be done with the SMC Tool using only Renoise and LFO automation:

5 Likes

I really see that you already control an instance magnificently. There is a part that I like very much, but then you change quickly (minute 5:21). It is possible to do real barbarities with all this. I particularly like how the sound is transformed.

In this video it seems that you only use Random constantly. With a little control when changing each property it is possible to be more precise and for the effect to do just what you want.

Seriously, I’m pulling my hair because in the API and under the hood of Renoise two things are missing. One of them is that the sample always begins to reproduce from the beginning of the Frame Start (a switch that allows this under the hood is missing). The other would be to access the playback line from the API. This would allow even editing an existing sample and transforming it.

Feel free to make more videos. I love to see how other users use this tool.

1 Like

Another example video - shorter - sharing automation versus randomized LFOs:

3 Likes

excuse me, would you share your theme from this video? :slight_smile:

Give…

hue_-100

a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a bunch of themes I either made or modified. They’re nothing special. I just like having less of a color distraction in many cases.

Black & White.xrnc (5.0 KB)
black_and_white.xrnc (5.1 KB)
Dark Gray.xrnc (5.0 KB)
Medium Gray.xrnc (5.0 KB)
Minimalist 001.xrnc (5.0 KB)
Minimalist 002.xrnc (5.0 KB)
Minimalist 004.xrnc (4.8 KB)
MonoCyan Theme.xrnc (4.9 KB)
MonoGreen Theme.xrnc (4.9 KB)
Pico-8.xrnc (5.0 KB)
VW Rabbit.xrnc (4.9 KB)

6 Likes

Damn this seems sweet, can’t wait to try!

:+1:

1 Like

Oh boi did I think I would be revisiting granular synthesis but in realtime with this baby?

2 Likes

I’d like to buy a license, so I signed up for the forums but I’ve since found new users can’t PM, is there another way to contact you? Perhaps you could PM me your details.
Thanks! It looks like a great tool, can’t wait to try it.

Hi @daphnederbyshire , how are you?
Check your inbox on the Renoise forums. You will see all the details in a PM.

Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

Same here. New member and can’t PM you for info on purchasing a license. Could you help me out?

Hi @Kevin1, how are you?

Wow this tool looks inspiring. Could you message me the details?

Hi @isprayaxe, how are you?