New Tool (3.2.2): Rx Markers

IMPORTANT

• Requires Renoise 3.2.2
  • This is an early version of the tool and you may encounter errors. Use at your own risk. Please report any bugs in this thread.
  • If you delete things in an instrument that are used by this tool and the warning tells you to undo this immediately, it’s not kidding. If you don’t then you may get errors and the tool might stop working.
  • Known Issue: Automating this tool’s XY Pad or Doofer device with an LFO or Formula can generate an error when loading a song or instrument.

> Download Rx Markers 0.11

This tool allows you to control the movement of two slice markers while re-triggering the sample. Playback normally only cares when the starting marker moves, but the Rx makes it also respond to the end marker.

Press the ‘Set Markers’ button and the tool will install the following things into an instrument: a small repeating phrase, a new fx chain with two devices, and two slice markers at the Origin points (you can set these before hitting the button). Either the tool GUI or the fx chain can be used to alter the various parameters and they will update each other to any changes made.

Note that markers will stay at least one sample apart and cannot pass each other.

rxmarkers0.1

• Auto Reset - The same as on a regular XY Pad, this will cause the values to move back to the center when the mouse button is released.
  • Follow mode - Causes the GUI sliders to move in tandem when one of them is used. This also applies to the XY Pad, but you’ll find using it is ‘quirky’ with this on.
  • Instr. Link - Links the tool GUI with the Instrument Selector so that changing one will change the other. Disabling this will allow you to work on one instrument in Renoise while controlling another with the tool GUI.

• Range - How far the slice marker can move to either side of its Origin point. Changing this will alter the accuracy of the sliders/XY Pad.
  • Origin - The central point on the waveform that the slice marker will move out from. Pressing ‘Set Markers’ again will set new Origins at the current marker positions.

• Sliders - The first number shows the Offset (how far the marker is from its Origin), while the second number is its exact sample value on the waveform. You can click on these numbers and enter new (valid) ones.

• Slice Size - The amount of samples between the two markers. The option to the right can be used to set the anchor point for any changes to this value.

rxmarkers0.1-fxchain

(In the fx chain, the XY Pad’s Min and Max sliders function as the Start and End sliders of the GUI)

Other Cool Stuff

• The devices in the fx chain allow the slice markers to be automated via macros (see the video).
  • There’s no save files. Everything is calculated from the available data. This means any songs or instruments that make use of this tool will work for anyone that has it installed.
  • You don’t have to use the provided phrase. You can delete it or create your own one with different effects (e.g. try varying the Rx value or adding backwards commands).
  • Slices have their own loop points which you can move to create loops within loops. Changing the loop type can also have different effects that will be apparent on small slices.
  • Two slice markers means there’s actually two slices. Although the second one isn’t used by default, you could create a phrase that does, which is useful because it’s changing length in response to the first slice.

Limitations

• Since this is a Lua tool, automations created with it are not going to result in playback that’s exactly the same each time.
  • Pressing ‘Set Markers’ will use the first sample of an instrument, even if you’ve selected another one.
  • Values are stored using the XY Pad and Doofer, so accuracy is restricted to 3 decimal places. This makes the tool inaccurate with very long waveforms, so I’ve restricted its use to those under 20,000,000 samples (several minutes long). This issue can probably be overcome in the future.
  • Playback can stop when trying to move markers past each other by clicking and dragging them with the mouse.
10 Likes

Error with selecting “Auto Reset” after getting all the LFOs hooked up to each parameter

unknown property or function ‘__sub’ for an object of type ‘ValueField’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘_error’
[string “do…”]:48: in function <[string “do…”]:35>
[C]: ?
main.lua:592: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:745: in function main.lua:741
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:9>
main.lua:977: in function main.lua:975

Tried to add a slice marker while running Rx Markers, was warned that Rx Markers can only have it’s 2 slice markers, then received this error:

std::logic_error: ‘ViewBuilder: invalid value for valuebox: ‘0’. value must be [1 - 264600].’
stack traceback:
main.lua:604: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:339: in function main.lua:330

Quit Renoise and re-opened file, received this error message:

std::logic_error: ‘ViewBuilder: invalid value for valuebox: ‘-31046’. value must be [1 - 264600].’
stack traceback:
main.lua:604: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:339: in function main.lua:330

Added 2 LFOs to 2 Hydra to control Start/End Origins and Start/End Range using the ‘Random’ LFO shape - an attempt to emulate some of the Max/MSP examples I’ve shown throughout the forum. Was sooooooo close, then the error popped up.

std::logic_error: ‘ViewBuilder: invalid value for valuebox: ‘1.30658e+06’. value must be [1 - 1.30658e+06].’
stack traceback:
main.lua:647: in function ‘update_s’
main.lua:602: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:354: in function main.lua:354

Hello? :slight_smile: Nothin’? I am so loving the possibility of this tool - hope it gets updated again!

I got a similar error to what Neuro reported above, except it was triggered for me when I had both “Auto Reset” and “Follow Mode” enabled and tried to move the cursor on the X/Y pad.

‘/home/me/.renoise/V3.2.2/Scripts/Tools/com.duncanhemingway.RxMarkers.xrnx/main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.
Please contact the author (Achenar) for assistance…
unknown property or function ‘__sub’ for an object of type ‘ValueField’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘_error’
[string “do…”]:48: in function <[string “do…”]:35>
main.lua:592: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:745: in function main.lua:741

1 Like

v0.11

• Fixed: Error with Auto Reset & Follow Mode enabled.
  • Fixed: User could place a new marker on top of an existing one.
  • Known Issue: Automating this tool’s XY Pad or Doofer device with an LFO or Formula can generate an error when loading a song or instrument.

The bottom two errors reported by Neuro are most likely due to this final issue. The LFO/Formula runs automatically when loading and overrides the values that were saved. This happens before the tool can execute and so the startup calculations can generate errors when the values are out of bounds.

Fixing this ties into other planned improvements for the tool and it’s a big task. Since I’m focusing more on other projects atm this won’t happen soon.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Always wanted a tool like this ! I was using Reaktor for this kind of thing.
Thank you !

See? @Achenar! You made a tool that a lot of people love/need :smiley: even though many don’t know it yet - the ability to manipulate samples like this is so important.

Please understand that I am being complimentary. @Raul and you are “in tune” with folks who want to do more in Renoise, and we LOVE IT!

1 Like

I am having sooooooo much fun with this!

My workflow:

• Load up a lengthy, complex sample

• Start it playing in the pattern editor

• Pop on a few standard effects like chorus, delay, and reverb

• Fire up Rx Markers

• Map its various knobs and sliders in the instrument’s effects chain to my external midi interface

• Go to town randomly spinning knobs to make instant glitchy, drony goodness.

Achenar, you’ve done an outstanding job.

I just can’t stop playing with this… it’s so much fun!

Thank you!

2 Likes

hello,
I inadvertently used time-stretch on a sample that contained rx-marks.
Seems like error before.

‘/home/martin/.renoise/V3.2.2/Scripts/Tools/com.duncanhemingway.RxMarkers.xrnx/main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.
Please contact the author (Achenar) for assistance…
std::logic_error: ‘ViewBuilder: invalid value for valuefield: ‘198450’. value must be [0 - 105664].’
stack traceback:
main.lua:701: in function ‘update_e’
main.lua:607: in function ‘move_markers’
main.lua:405: in function main.lua:399