New tool (3.4.3): SamRender v2.0 build 015 (November 2023)

Future feature suggestion for when rendering a song :sunglasses:;

some kind of high quality toggle that temporarily switches all samples oversampling options on in Renoise during render. You know, the anti aliasing toggle next to interpolation in the sample properties? Also turning on Sinc interpolation setting for every sample and when using the native filter devices, switch to the highest oversampling option. Curious how this would sound A/Bā€™ing mixes :slight_smile:

Forcing the change in all samples of all instruments of these two configurations previously and restoring them later is possible. Activate the switch ā€œAAā€ and change interpolation to ā€œSincā€

What do you mean exactly? What configuration should I change?

For example check out the native analog or digital filter dsp device, thereā€™s an oversampling option above the graph default at 2x, this can be set to 8x at maximum through the dropdown menu. Not sure if there are more native devices which have oversampling options?

This is much more complex, because it would involve modifying a configuration within the DSP chain, whether it is in the sample or in the track.

Iā€™m not sure, but increasing that multiplier would only affect the high frequencies, and applying it to all samples seems excessive.

1 Like

no worries, itā€™s just an idea! Btw to be clear I donā€™t mean that these filter devices should be processed on all samples, just that the oversampling would be set highest for those devices actually used in a song.

SamRender 2.0 has been published!

I am pleased to announce the release of version 2.0.015 of the SamRender free tool. This new version is maintenance, improvement and include new features. It is a major versionā€¦

All new features are listed in the Update History (first comment on this thread).

This new version 1.2 of the SMR brings updated code for the latest version of Renoise (API v6.1). It brings some improvements and a new tool information panel.

You can download SamRender directly from the official Renoise website. You can also combine it with the ModFXRender tool to solve specific tasks with your sound waves.

3 Likes

Hi @Raul . Firstly, thank you for creating this great tool! The Accumulate option in particular is very handy for saving time in doing a lot of rendering. However, I noticed a few of the built-in keybindings are not working for me, at least on macOS 14.2.1 (Renoise 3.4.3, tool version 2.0.015).

Error when using shift + r to close the tool window:

smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:80: variable 'RND_MAIN_DIALOG' is not declared
stack traceback:
  [C]: in function '_error'
  [string "local mt = getmetatable(_G)..."]:29: in function <[string "local mt = getmetatable(_G)..."]:24>
  smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:80: in function <smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:78>

Error when using left or right to select Track:

smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:24: variable 'rna' is not declared
stack traceback:
  [string "local mt = getmetatable(_G)..."]:29: in function <[string "local mt = getmetatable(_G)..."]:24>
  smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:24: in function 'smr_kh_nav_tracks'
  smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:87: in function <smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:78>

Error when using up or down to select Sequence:

smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:44: variable 'rna' is not declared
stack traceback:
  smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:44: in function 'smr_kh_nav_sequence'
  smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:88: in function <smr/lua/keyhandler.lua:78>

+ or - also donā€™t seem to trigger any changes when attempting to select Instrument. The rest of the keybindings are working fine for me.

Of these, the binding to close the tool window is what would be most greatly appreciated to fix (if/when you have time). I would be happy to fix these myself, although I noticed the tool is using compiled Lua :slight_smile:

Hi @tactilepro thanks you to report about these errors. In the next version all of them will be resolved! Actually, they all come from the same error, a specific reference that I overlooked.

Iā€™m glad you like the tool. Have you also tried ModFXRender tool?

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response and thatā€™s great to hear! I look forward to the next release. For now at least Iā€™ve found a pleasant workflow setting up my basic config on the first sample, then just use a combination of the Direct Rendering option then renaming my samples afterward using the command_palette tool.

Iā€™ve played around with ModFXRender superficially but I very much want to dive into this more as time allows. Iā€™m also quite interested in some of your other tools, particularly the Travel Through Phrases one. I will likely be in touch soon regarding getting a license for this one in the near future. Thanks for all your work on these!

I have a request Raul,could you please change the default position of ā€˜overwriteā€™ to ā€˜new instrumentā€™ because itā€™s set to overwrite as default I have overwritten lots of files accidentally and I canā€™t undo the action to retrieve the overwritten file.That small change I feel would make a big difference,at least to me anyways