New Tool: Mixer Snapshots

Hi Beatslaughter, this seems to be progressing nicely!

I have just tried the latest upload and it seems to me the the Snapshot manager seems a nice comfortable interface to work with. I have a couple of suggestions for it:

• If a snapshot is loaded could it be shown in the manger which one it is i.e. a dynamic “*” at the end/ beginning of the name?
  • Could it be possible to save snapshots in the manager. i.e. a “Store New” button there?

regards

Nice one Beatslaughter, looking forward to playing with it!

Updated the tool again, fixed a small glitch when the active snapshot was deleted the new active one wasn’t highlighted in the dynamic menu.

Put in my to do list. Can’t be added that quick now, since i have to take care of extra chars in the name then for renaming and so on.

Done, redownload. :)

Actually makes sense to not grey out the menu entry for an empty list anymore, since it’s not modal and to add that button.

Wow! a fast update there, thanks very much, redownloading :)

Uploaded a new version with lot’s of small improvements. Scheduled cycling is now available too but only for patterns so far, more modes are planned for later. Implemented highlighting of current active snapshot in the list, reworked the behaviour of deleting a snapshot in the list and probably much more small things, which i have forgotten.

Gotta love the weekends! :)

hey beatslaughter,
i took a look at your tool and it’s really kewl so far! Great work… renoise is a lot more productive now :)

and may I suggest another idea for it?

I would love to have a set of buttons to switch between the save states in addition to the “cycle states” buttons, which only allows you to cycle the states sequentially … like described in the other thread which you might remember.

that’s the pic from there:

… like the lovely 1 2 3 4 buttons there :)

Well, while the cycling buttons are indeed sequential you can quickly browse through the saved snapshots in the manage dialog using the arrow up and down keys and then press enter for the one you want to load or you can also use the context menu in the mixer to access any snapshot.

I have thought about similar buttons, but keep in mind that i can’t put them into the Renoise GUI but only into my own dialogs. The main problem is, that there is no limit on saved snapshots so how is it supposed to work in detail? Limiting the buttons to a fixed amount? Some sort of paging mechanism for the buttons and all snapshots would be kinda ugly. Now if Renoise would offer a listbox as GUI element it would be much nicer to offer something like this by simply double clicking an entry. The other way could be some sort of favorites mechanism which would be the most feasible option probably.

yeah i know… but working with up+down and enter is a bit annoying if you really want to switch randomly (but with purpose) between the save states.
think of a live environment with audience, when you have a pattern playing and want to switch between some track-mute states just in time to play with the audience… or another example, to monitor a song and switch between more than one possible solution. you then might want to switch with random access between 3 or 4 save states to find the best solution.

well, of course you cannot add such buttons to the renoise gui itself (yet)… would be nice for sure, but it’d be okay, if you could place them in your own manage GUI, maybe below the cycle buttons.

no I don’t want to make things too complex… just have a limited amount of buttons… lets say 10 buttons which will always represent the first 10 save-states in your manage GUI. That would be enough. That could do all the things I wanted.

listbox and favorite options could probably do the same, maybe in a more beautiful way… I dunno… but my described solution would do the job aswell … :)

You mean like how Johann manages the presets/favorites in his ‘rum CMD on selection’ script using a drop down list? Would be great!

a big +1
btw what language is the mixer snapshot manual written in :D
another thing would it be possible to have a option to be able to keep your dsp-chain snapshots saved ??

im having some problems with this one.

im trying to store some dsp-chains,but so far i can only store 1 dsp chain at a time
when i store more the previous gets deleted??

No, i do already have a dropdown list to select snapshots, but i kinda like the simpleness of buttons. I could add like 10 of them and allow to setup them as favorites similar to the ones in Renoise. Not sure if can differentiate a rightclick from a leftclick with the API yet though. If not i have to think about some other method to store them. Simply giving access to the first 10 would be kinda limited.

It’s based on latin. Lorem Ipsum is actually a common placeholder text until the real thing is done to check layouts and such. the background is actually interesting, you can read more here: http://www.lipsum.com

Depends on what you mean. Snapshots will be bound to a song. I have no plans currently to support some sort of sharing between different songs. Planned is saving of snapshots along the song though, so that when you load it you will have your snapshots back.

See above. If both people will have the same amount of channels and same effects on each track, you will be able to send that file to the other person. If they differ it won’t work yet.

Just tested again and it works fine. I suppose you still don’t really know exactly what a snapshot is. A snapshot contains all chains from all tracks. If you have 10 tracks one snapshot will contain 10 chains. If you switch a snapshot to the next one, all 10 chains will be changed at once to the new values. If you want to exchange DSP chains use the feature of Renoise to export them?

If you still think it’s some sort of bug, let me know exactly what you are trying and what you’re expecting, so that i can replicate this here.

yeah i think i might have somehow mis-understood what this is about.

i always start making my tracks without any dsp-chains on the tracks,i only start putting dsp chains on the tracks,when i need to "sculpt"a sound,or when i reach mixing stage.

the thing i would like to do,is store different dsp chains,and be able to quickly try out different ones.

and again yeah i think i got the whole snapshot thing misunderstood

EDIT:now i finally figured out how this works,it made sense when i read a tutorial about audiomulchs snapshot thingie

havent used it much yet,but so far it works great

This is more or less done already… a “*.snapshots” file will be saved at the same location where the song resides, so as long as you move both files together you should be able to use your snapshots again. I have rewritten nearly the complete tool and it utilizes now the Renoise document API instead of tables. It’s just not ready for release yet. :)