New Tool: Progressor

Thanks, testing this baby tonight!

So… :blink: How was the night Jonas? Hope it was totally awesome :)

good, good :) , haven’t yet made a new tune or something, just tested if it worked without crashing and it hasn’t yet! :drummer:

Ey Laffik,

every time I use your tool, afterwards I have to manually select the notes in the pattern editor and transpose an octave through +12 in the advanced edit. Is it possible you have your tool updated to give back results an octave higher, or better yet have a setting where the user can set the octave?

Edit:

would also be cool, if your tool recognizes which sequence position the tool user is on, so it can take the sequence/pattern number for the beginning of the range in your tool.

@first request:
It will be done in next release. I’ve been thinking about it too but not implemented it yet. It would be done with something that I call “following” - the chords follow with rotations after lead and stay in selected octave interval from it. So I will do it at one shot.

@second request:
I will do it in next release too. It’s just few commands to implement. So no problem.

These requests really would make the tool more handy, so thanks for idea.

I’m planning to do something with adding progression to existing or new track (control to select between). And maybe option for deleting source lead after matching the progression.

Stay tuned…

Sounds good! :drummer:

Tracks rarely contain chordline played on pads. The chordline is useful to build everything else over top of a tune, even finetuned drums. While following and octave selection features are not done you can still use chord track generated with Progressor as an informative cheat-sheet to find out on which tones to improvise new lead together with existing lead. You can even delete it or mute it after new melody is done. It not necessarily has to be integral part of a tune. You can use it to match bass line with lead or to add lead to bassline, or if you are in classical music you can make counterpoint for a melody or variation played after melody with the same harmony content… and delete it after, leaving only melodies that match together.

About fifteen years ago I met impressive man, who was organist and organ builder. He was one of few organ-players in Poland able to improvise fugue on given melody in real time. He was able to play few tunes at one time, respecting chord line, adding improvised counterpoints in real time. He did never use long notes for chords (only long notes he used was on subbas) and no chords played in shots. He rather played few harmonically matched tunes at the time. He impressed me much. Now Progressor gives us ability to match tunes together like he was doing in the fly.

Tiny update:

New version (0.6) of Progressor is available.

New features:

• octave selection - progressions matched in octave selected in Renoise keyboard octave control (Jonas wish)
  • user’s position in the song is put into range beggining control (second Jonas wish)
  • leads finishes on prime of last chord

Thanks!

oh man totally missed the updates!!, i thought when i used the ‘tool update tool’ i wouldn’t have to worry bout these things!!!

anyway, awesome, you rawk sir, indeed!

my jaw just dropped

Incredible tool !

Gosh! I look like ugly pushy pusher now…
Majority of tools I’ve got installed are signed com.renoise so I didn’t want to stand out any more after naming it com.Laffik on the beginning.
I would upload the tool renamed to com.Laffik again but you say it’s not good idea to change ID anymore.
So what to do now?
Do nothing or welcome me in Renoise Team :excl:

@phuture & entropia:
Thanks! I love your appreciation!

I changed ID again. It is com.Laffik now. Sorry for mess…

had a bug:

edit:

I think the problem occurs when there is a change in pattern length within the range that is progressing.

Hey laffik, reading about composition one often comes across ‘the circle of 5ths’ ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths ), is this something you can somehow implement in a progressor-like tool?

This times a quadrillion million billion gazillion. Yes.
Laffik, can you do it?

How to reproduce the bug? I’ve done the tests on patterns with different lengths and it worked. Send me the .xrns. What is the configuration of controls?

been running a lot of tracks lately and can’t remember which one gave me the error, also noticed myself that patterns with different lengths weren’t the problem after I tested it later. I remember making a pattern selection in the sequence list (on the complete left of the pattern editor / matrix) slightly overlapping the range of your tool, might be a conflict there? Will try if I can reproduce in a test track…

a propos circle of fifth - I’ve got idea of tool for lead improvisations. It could be good fusion with Progressor. Tool would have intervals sorted by consonance - kind of separate circles for each interval. It would be randomly and recursively generating tunes in area of consonances and dissonances.

i don’t understand this tool? can anyone make a vid of what it does?