No-Gear Live Set

oh yeah, I need to add, on renoise(slave) the button next to the Beats / Min. should be turned off to get the proper BPM shifting.

Nice! Works. Synchs up perfectly when I initially hit play on the master . But it seems the button beside the bpm on the slave definitely needs to be activated when i slide the bpm of the master up and down in order to catch up. Something keeps slightly offsetting the slave when this bpm button is on it but i can’t figure out what… hmm. :( Maybe i messed up. I’ll try setting it up again. Almost perfect though. Thank you!

For screen capture on OSX I’d recommend screen flow

Cool, just got ScreenFlow-1.5.1 going to check it out, here shortly. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I too noticed that after I wrote the above.

What I ended up doing in renoise (master) I put a LFO reset in the pattern editor effects command column.
Using the renoise (master) pattern length as the master sync.
then in renoise(slave) unchecking that box.

Oh man, and using this on LPB is wild too!

Just noticed in beta9 we can use controller transports, so that makes things that much more interesting I think. :)

looking forward to your video :panic:

I got a bunch of things squared away this morning and the past days since, and I hope to have it uploaded somewhere in about 2 days. :)

Nice idea! Since were talking about live sets here (not really linked to BYTE’s post but) When I pulll off a live set… i usually use standalone synths like Massive or Korg leg. (any really) and build a track in renoise or buzz (renoise looks cooler up on a projector )… kinda like, i am the band… I end the track, I dont build it up like when im dj ing and mix the tracks together… I keep producing and DJ seperate… think of it like this… When KJ Sawka pulls off his shiz he stops inbetween…takes a rest… takes in the joys and the talent of being a producer and the cheers of the people who appreciate his tallent…his art. … Yeah i dunno … we’re more musicians then “dj’s” eh… Save the dj’n for the cats that spin our music when/if we hit the big one =D!! lol. But I guess you could take the softare synths as “gear” but i was taking you to mean gear as hardware… You thinking of doing a live set BYTE-Smasher? ill come to ON. to see ya bro… your like 1 prov. away =D haha! eZ.

…::niNja pWn::…

I forget how to get this embedded.

**link removed
**going to fix it.

I’m having trouble figuring out just how to mess with BPM and LPB in a manner speaking. Doing so can achieve great noise effects. chainsaws of drums and overly noisey type stuff. A few days ago when I began testing this idea/method I had a great synced pad sound happening, but I forgot to write down what I was doing.

So this method is about using 3 renoise instances.
1 master, 2 slaved.

The master doesn’t have a song, it’s simply a device chain; controlling the 2 slaved renoise instances loaded with small songs.

Next, I want to work out how to load other songs into the 2 slaved instances and get them back in sync. It looks like I may need to wait a little, as I believe the actual method of doing this is to use the “Send song position pointer” in the master instance, and I think there may possibly be a bug in that.

okay I’ll fix it. :)
link removed until I get timing straight.

Interesting you say that; I’ve been working on a PD patch for Linux for just that purpose.

I’m actually trying to get the whole using renoise live thing sorted out, myself.

tried to do a liveset with 2 instances of renoise running, but when i started the song in the second instance my laptop horribly started to go mad ^^ i had nearly a minute of start-stop-start-stop-start-stop of the first 10 seconds of the track… too bad with just 512mb ram and 1,7ghz i think.
powered up my lepatop with now 2gb ram i could give it a new try, but i haven’t done yet. don’t want to mess around again.
i think the set i played there was my worst ever, chosen wrong and unfinished tracks, repeated one and so on… damn you beer! ;)

Lesson #1: Experiment obsessively with live setup in advance to assure stability and useability

Make beat. Press play. Scroll up and down.

At least when I’m bored. Can’t say that’s much of a live set. <_<

1. Use rnsmerge to join all of you songs together
  2. Press play
  3. Look busy

That is all.

huh??

if there is no gear, the mystery of this performer’s “live set” is likely a mini-disc or ipod… with that said I’m not sure what the further mystery is regarding how “to get renoise to play multiple tracks within one instance of Renoise” as this is the definition of what a tracker is in the first place.

besides, isn’t watching a performance with no gear a little… boring?? What exactly is it you’re trying to do?

I’ve performed electronic/industrial live for a bit over a decade using synths and trackers and it’s a blast. use renoise to trigger midi notes and play out the audio backingtracks, use pedals and controllers for filter sweeps… renoise also comes in handy for setting up /automating patch changes… but this delves into using midi gear on stage which doesn’t sound like it’s what you’re after

really it all comes down to the question: what are you really trying to do?

why such a desire to slave renoise to renoise in this thread for a live situation? In a live situation typically you want to minimize the number of master-slave relationships as possible to avoid meeting murphy’s law in the middle of a performance.

just my ten cents!

I’ve seen that many of you guys talk about mixing between renoise and pre-recorded tracks on a cd player, mp3 player, or mini disc. This is something I considered myself. What are your opinions on which is a more usable choice: cd players, mp3 players, or mini disc players.

A live set on one hell of a tiny budget ;)

This weekend my stepson (13) played a 20-min gig on the regional preselections of a national art contest for youths, using 2 circuit bended toys (furby and atari controller) he played with while the next song was loading in renoise. He ended 3th out of 10. How’s that for succes on a tiny budget? ;)

Congrats :)

I think the gear for performances depends on audience attention, environment, and other considerations such as whether to record your live performances. How much the audience paid is arguable but I personally would just press play if most of them are wandering through k holes and puking themselves silly, no offense to users. Sounds similar to ancient rituals but with a different context.

There’s a certain congruence that the performer plays into, unless you want wtf’s in people’s mind, then 3 bowls of beans before a show and microphone is all you need.

Box 1

Box 2

NICE! That scratch shit is SICK!!! [center]
[/center]…::niNja_pWn3d::…

beatboxing your songs is the cheapest i figure.

… but i once did a live show on 2 pentium 3 pcs(assuming you ave one pc its about 100 euros maybe for something as crap as what i played on) hooked up via the gameports on the old soundblaster pci cards (using 2 midi boxes costs about 30 euros total). i payed about 150 euros roughly to get it all up and running.

i did study IT and learnt how to make crap pcs super stable again though :) its scary playing on windows i think, so whatever you make the gear, ensure stability as mention through testing and adjusting. that way -any- gear which manages to play a song i think would do.

its why you have guys doing live shows on gameboys and weird home made techno madness. i once saw a live tekno party which was comming from some airplane panel and a couple of random self made buttons.