Note/chord Display

If any played chord would be displayed you’ll need boxes as many as your tracks, so it is practically impossible. Also it is useless to display chord names when song is playing at a high tempo, you won’t be able to see the names actually.

Lordy.

It is not suggested that they are played when the song is playing…

It is suggested that the chord name is displayed when it is played on a midi keyboard.

Good God, man. You are usually much more alert!

I’d better sign out! Much blah from me for such a tiny thing ;)

Haha! All good. :)

This is just a bump. I really hope this idea is being considered? It would be fairly easy to program. It doesn’t have to show all the chords as the song plays, just show the names of the chords as the midi keys (on piano keyboard or laptop keyboard) are depressed. Just like Logic. Massively helpful for those of us without piano keyboards.

Cheers!

Yeah! “Chord name” mini-display would be nice! …but in conjunction with some mechanism of “foolproof” chord entering. What about this scenario:

1. check some radio. Let it be - “Chord mode”
  2. holding down F-key (F1, F2, F3… etc) or NumLocked numpad key (1, 2, 3… etc) and then we just use standard editing-recording capabilities of Renoise… BUT! Now we enter and hear not just a single note but a CHORD!!! Say, F1 - Maj, F2 - Min, … an so on.

What do you think? As for development - I think it’s not so hard to implement that kind of feature (only one GUI thing to add - radio button :))

It’s not only useful for those without midi keyboards. I have a midi keyboard, but I do sometimes play the wrong notes when attempting more complex chords such as 11th or 13th chords.
T
his would help everyone, even those with music theory, by confirming that they’re playing what they want to play. And for those without a clue as to how to play a chord…They might accidentally play a couple nice chords and then learn a little something. Always a good thing in music to learn some chord theory.

+1

As for little chord display: +15, really necessary and useful feature, specially in a tracker.

As for chord entry AE window: -1, not well thought through. Wouldn’t make sense on larger ranges than selection in pattern and even that on single note.

As for chord entry metakeys: 0 for now, idea sounds interesting and needs more research. This could really speed up the production with trackers. But how to implement it and all that stuff needs some more thinking.

Chords could be displayed in notification area, bottom left. And for chord input we need definabe scales so we can define chords relative to base note that stay in the key we are working in, no?

Or at least we need some chord templates to cycle through to make a chord progression programming benefit from feature. Otherwise we need to scan through gazillion chords just to enter one, which would be faster to do with EditStep=0 and pressing TAB. Or shft, which we still haven’t got rid of.

Maybe what you are talking about is just this–> http://www.improvisator.de/en/

A very useful VST indeed!

yep! it’s nice, but… we just can’t use it in Renoise (seamlessly)… pooooor midi routing :(