Note Volume Range 00..ff

maybe invalid midi values as note volumes are bad.
but the limit is 80, it seems there’s no problem with volume 80 and vst and midi.
more numbers headroom can’t be bad, can it?
i mean it wouldn’t change anything in old songs or so, you could just make notes louder than before.

Yes it would, it would conflict with songs that use the note-specific A-Fx effect commands that you can use in the volume column.
And 80 is simply translated to the loudest possible value (and everything in between is translated to the relative value that you can send to a VST plugin) so you would not be able to make your tracks or notes sound louder, you only would have more steps you can use to go from 00 to the loudest volume value.

Oh, then new behaviour for new songs, old behaviour for old songs?

But I meant adding louder volumes 81…FF for the sampler, leaving loudness of 80 what it currently is.

old songs:
00…80 => 0…1
A0…FF => some effect

new songs:
00…80…FF => 0…1…~2

By 80 vs 7F I meant just: One could say “…FF” is bad because switching to vsts/midi instrument would make numbers bigger than 7F useless. But you can already use 80 and nobody has yet complaint (?) that 80 is (probably?) clipped to 7f for midi/vst controlling. The 80 proofed there’s more possible without irritation. Why not forget about old song data conflicting because of a0… and finally provide enaugh headroom for the volume numbers.

I know, in other daws you usually enter everything within midi range, aiming for 100 (decimal) or so to have some headroom, and you could use 60 as note volume default in renoise of course. I’ll do this for now.

But notes without a volume look nice, i tended to use them quite a lot, they are even the default when you’ve just installed renoise. But later on, those trigger all with volume 80, and you can’t just increase the volume of one of those notes a little bit. What’s good about a feature (set as default) when you regret having used it later on? Letting those no-volume-notes default to e.g. 60 instead of 80 would kill backwards compatibility for sure, so providing more numbers > 80 would be the better solution, if someone would like to have at least a few headroom numbers in this case.

You can “easily” achieve that by simply turning up the gain on that track, and using 40 as normal volume. Of course, “ease” depends on how you do things in general.

Hmm, yes and the resolution 0…80 is even one more than 0…7f of midi. The volume numbers range itself is ok.

But notes without volume play at 80, the loudest possible. This doesn’t really fit, or to say in other words, it’s no good idea to start tracking with the loudest possible volume.
So, amongst other things i wanted to say: those who start tracking with pc keyboard with the default settings (default volume “–”, “–” will be 80) will probably be disappointed when they
want to make a few notes a bit louder because all notes you then have standing there are at the highest volume number (80), …so renoise defaults to tracking with no numberwise headroom at all. I it a bit of a trap, at least
no good default setting somehow.

You can set the default volume for your keyboard in the toolbar below the pattern editor. So set that to 40 and crank it up or use a gainer DSP? That said, I usually automate gainer instead and track at 80. :P

I meant the idea as improvement of renoise, when used by beginners or when you haven’t used it for a while. Improved default settings if you will, be it just exactly what you said - as a default.

A pain to maintain and really not necessary at all.
As i said before, the experience of the volume is relative and personal. Using a gainer to get things louder or simply a more powerfull amplifier on your audio card’s output would do the better job here.

Renoise goes from 0 to 80 hexadecimal which is from 0 to 128 decimal. 64 would be the figure to aim for if you need this common “100” figure for the headroom that other daws use.
You can set the default keyboard velocity to this value in the pattern editor control panel if you are using your standard keyboard.

by the way, the MIDI protocol has recently been updated to introduce a backward-compatible 14-bit resolution for velocity. See here