of user library subfolders & renaming

I have noticed some inconsistent behaviour when it comes to user library presets. I have noticed that I can put them into a subfolder (very useful if you have lots of presets going and need them sorted or weeded out in a file manager) - then they get the folder name as prefix in the preset selectors.

However, if I rename, resave etc. the preset, the resulting preset always gets saved in the top level folder of its category, and the folder names it was in before just prefixed to the preset name. This is not a big deal, but can result in some confusion and extra work when it comes to housekeeping the presets, and could also generate name clashes. I’d expect the folder position and the name of the preset I entered while renaming to be preserved.

Makes sense!

I didn’t even realize that you can make sub-folders for FX presets…I’ve only done it for Instruments. When I click ‘save’ for FX presets, I just get a name field to enter, then hit OK… so I assume you are creating these subfolders via your OS file system?

When I click “save” for a renoise Instrument, that opens up my system’s file tree and I can create / select subfolders in my user library. But for the FX devices, it’s just the naming field mentioned above (which is a renoise pop-up, not an OS system pop-up)…which generally is fine with me, it feels faster, but it does mean that all my user presets for devices like Doofers, etc, create one long list in the preset selector…

yes I organise them via the OS file manager to have subfolders. I stumbled upon this while creating/testing a library file, sorting and testing presets in subfolders to keep them seperated from my other volatile stuff. I mean its great to have such a “hidden” feature, but it would be nicer to be able to control it in even better ways.

yes I organise them via the OS file manager to have subfolders. I stumbled upon this while creating/testing a library file, sorting and testing presets in subfolders to keep them seperated from my other volatile stuff. I mean its great to have such a “hidden” feature, but it would be nicer to be able to control it in even better ways.

Ok, that’s what I thought. I totally agree that some extra depth in Renoise’s preset system would be very helpful. In general I’m very satisfied with Renoise’s file management and browser – everything is very transparent, organized, easily understandable in terms of how to access things & exactly where they are stored. BUT, my one gripe is that Preset lists get too long, and really a subfolder system is the only way to handle this.

For example, I recently installed the new Djoerek library, the vol. 2 pack that was posted when the latest bugfix came out. Now, whenever I open Convolver’s preset menu, a ton of space is taken up just for Djoerek’s presets, which were installed as part of the new library. Between the factory patches, his library patches, and my user patches, the preset pop-up is really long and has too many entries to make sense of… your OS-level subfolder approach is currently the best way to battle this, but something within Renoise itself would be preferable.

-M

Yes, I’d find it fortunate for each subfolder to open up another level of depth context menu with just the subfolder’s contents (and rename, save, save as, delete options, maybe also one to “create/delete” subfolder)…