Oh Dear God... Minor Emergency

so i picked up my G4 powerbook today to take it to school. It was already asleep, but i picked it up and when i moved it, it made a LOUD whining noise. I freaked out and set it back on the desktop. I opened 'er up and it was working fine… but DAMN. so it still works, though it’s been hanging more lately than it used to. Im figuring this is a dying HDD problem, but could i get a confirmation? anything else it could be? the CD player wasn’t running so it’s probably not that…

I’ll have to save up for the repair but it’s not a horrifying amount of money. what do you all think, is it a HDD failure? thats the cheapest option…

hmm that’s tricky don’t know about utilities, but i do know that pulling the hdd is relatively easy.

though on the other hand, maybe it was having a good dream and just got well pissed!

could have also been the fan. there isn’t too many other moving parts besides the hdd and fan.

thats cool, I’ll check it out. I just talked to my computer science professor, and he was saying it’s most likely the fan… that makes sense… i hadn’t thought of that. really if a hard drive was making a loud noise like that, it would be crashing… not usable :P

I’ll check it out when i head home tonight…

i checked the disk doctor utility in OSX and it said that my HDD is failing :( Luckily i already backed up everything a month ago, and i just had to move a few xrns’s over to my imac. Looks like i’ll be shopping for a new hard drive…

the new hard drive came today, it’s a 5400 rpm 160g that i got for a little over $70! I checked a guide on the internet at ifixit.com and figured out how to replace the hard drive myself. I just did it this afternoon, and i have to say, my machine SCREAMS now! not only stoked that it’s fixed, but stoked that i did it mysef!

yeah, thats what im saying. do you think something’s wrong with the new one? :P